PDA

View Full Version : DRY transmission?

87SUPRACOMPBABY
05-27-2014, 11:31 PM
I'm trying to resurrect the 87 comp I grew up on and have little mechanical knowledge. Any and all advice is appreciated.

The boat has sat for the last 5 years and I'm currently working on the aesthetics (gel coat/interior) while having a local marine mechanic get it up to snuff. After having the carb rebuilt, starter replaced, oil change/spark plugs I've decided I can no longer afford to have someone else do the work. I'm looking for a list of things I need to check/do before trying to take it out on the water again.

I pulled the tranny dip stick and it was DRY with some rust! This really scares me and I'm looking for any advice on how I should proceed. It's hard to believe there's nothing in the tranny considering the boat seemed to run well 5-6 years ago.

This boat means the world to me (only good memories on this boat before a long and ugly divorce) and I want to relive those memories with my own family. I am OBSESSED with this forum and appreciate all the great info you all share. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

CJD
05-28-2014, 09:38 AM
If money and time are not an issue, I'd remove it, look it over and replace the seals. Otherwise, just fill it and see how it works and if/where it is leaking. It only holds about a quart, so it doesn't take much of a leak over 6 years to drop the level below the dipstick. WHo knows, it could have been low back then...

wotan2525
05-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Fill it up and try it out. They're pretty tough and I don't think just sitting for a few years is going to be much of a problem. I'd run it for a little bit with fresh fluid, suck out all of the fluid that you can and then run it some more. Worst case scenario is that you're about $10 worth of transmission fluid and still have to pull it and rebuild it.

As far as everything else -- you learning how things work and how to work on things now is going to save you LOTS of money in the future. Boats always need something and by fixing the small things, you'll be in a position to know what's wrong when the big things break.

kvand347
05-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Yep. Fill her up and use the boat for a day. Bring it home and change the fluid so that fresh stuff is in there. You should be okay.

Cusefan78
05-28-2014, 12:36 PM
If you have to take it out for a leaking seal then you should rebuild the whole thing. Not much more to do after the seals. Just have to change out the forward and reverse discs. Skidim sells a rebuild kit and you can also purchase instructions on how to do it. You should also check the tranny cooler for leaks.

Blackntan90
05-29-2014, 05:27 AM
I have seen this boat in person, as it sits at the end of the alley my mother in law lives on. I told him to check out the forum for advice. The big issue I belive is what kind of fluid should go into a Velvet Drive? I have my manuals for my Mariah, but they only cover my trans(1.23:1 PCM) Is it ATF, or gear oil, weight, etc,? I can tell you he is stoked to get this baby back on the water!

wotan2525
05-29-2014, 08:47 AM
I believe they all run ATF. See if it says on the dipstick. (90% sure that mine just runs DEX/MERC)

87SUPRACOMPBABY
05-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys and thanks again Rich! I was wondering if you'd see my post! :) Any suggestions on how I should go about purging the old gas out of the tank/engine?

Thanks!

Blackntan90
05-31-2014, 04:08 PM
Josh, I lost your number when my phone died. I left that hose I told you about on the trailer fender this morning-not sure if you are in town this weekend or not. We can go out next weekend on my boat if you want, I am off on Friday as well. As far as the tank, we should just pull it out and dump it into another container for disposal. There is an M.D.E. disposal not far from my house I use alot, it is free but not many know about it! Your tank looks pretty easy to pull compared to mine! Then we just blow out the lines with compressed air. Should be simple. If you want you can PM me with your number so I can text or call you, or you can just text or call me as I still have the same number. Cant wait to get on the water!