PDA

View Full Version : Transmission forward but no reverse

hehase
05-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Hi all, recently lost reverse on my 1985 Supra Sunsport. Forward works great. Disconnected shift linkage to manually try and checked fluids to no avail. Probably broken reverse clutch plates. My question is....can I still operate the tranny safely till fall even though I have no reverse? (Live on a small, calm lake) I'd like to wait till Fall to fix and ski it in forward all summer!
Thanks for any input.
Also, if anyone lives near Maine and can rebuild this Borg tranny (assuming I may need this) please let me know

lively
05-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Yes you can the reverse friction plates are separate than the forward friction plate pack . I backed down low ramp first time on my boat and broke the disc in half and ran it for a whole summer till my rebuild http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lively86/Mobile%20Uploads/1e5a7d0a.jpg (http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/lively86/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1e5a7d0a.jpg.html) they are very easy to rebuild , if you wash and change all seals and plates for a mechanic prob take 5 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hehase
05-28-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks so much for the reply. This is great news. Any other idea as to what may be the problem?
Thanks, Eric
Also, what caused yours to break on the low ramp? Did the prop strike and drive the shaft back into the tranny?
I did back into some mud earlier this year but thought the problem occurred after the boat was moved from a semi high idle to a medium (not the normal gentle reverse detent)

lively
05-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Did you hit something ? How long have you owned the boat ? How many hours ?

hehase
05-28-2014, 09:34 PM
Only the mud (on the trailer car in reverse). I've had the boat since 1985-86.

lively
05-29-2014, 12:33 AM
Yeah you broke a plate . When you do go to rebuild , the master rebuild kit will not come with reverse springs . Make sure you order some . I ordered 10 just in case when I did mine

Cusefan78
05-29-2014, 06:11 PM
You don't have to hit anything. The disc get old and brittle plus warn down. I did my rebuild last year. Very easy to do. I did a write up on here with pictures. Make sure you mark the cover. If you install it upside down you will lose reverse.

lively
05-29-2014, 11:51 PM
You don't have to hit anything. The disc get old and brittle plus warn down. I did my rebuild last year. Very easy to do. I did a write up on here with pictures. Make sure you mark the cover. If you install it upside down you will lose reverse.

He's talking about the front pump and that's a good idea to mark it , mine had a T - T on it so I didn't have to mark it . As mentioned very easy to do , I'll be doing one for a member on here next week I may just snag some pics of his while I have it opened up .

hehase
06-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks, I'll be checking back for pictures. I'll also try to find the how to rebuild guide one of you posted. This has been a great help

Cusefan78
06-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Skidim sell the manual

lively
06-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Manual if free on PDF do a search on google for. 71c rebuild manual