PDA

View Full Version : How Long The Rope?

garyholl
05-31-2014, 10:29 AM
So I have had exactly two rides behind the Supra so far and something seems wrong. I feel like I should be getting better lift off the wake. I was using a 60 foot rope. Should it be shorter to hit the sweet spot?

Zim
06-03-2014, 05:15 PM
I usually run about 70 ft on mine and the wake is great. What boat do you have? How fast are you going? Ballast setup and wakeplate position?

garyholl
06-03-2014, 09:01 PM
24 SSV at about 21 mph and full ballast bags. Am I going too slow?

Zim
06-04-2014, 02:49 PM
I usually pull people between 19 and 22mph, so I don't think you're going too slow. Try playing with the wakeplate at speed to see if you can clean the wake up. I have a friend with a 2007 24GG edition and it has a great wave at 20mph or so. He's upgraded his rear bags to 1100lbs too, so he's running a good amount of weight.

KG's Supra24
06-04-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm surprised your friend gets a good wake at 20 mph.

We run 70-75 length. Bow ballast always full and the rear depends on the rider. Usually keep the wakeplate closer to bow down, it changes some depending on how much rear weight we have.

Usually between 22 and 23 mph.

I think more speed is the answer before less length. 60 is short. Do you have good technique going into the wake?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

garyholl
06-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Better yesterday. I ran 22 with 9 adults in the boat and the wake was better. Too bad the lake was so rough.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

tnbrooks01
06-28-2014, 12:15 PM
popping off the wake is more about the rider and technique than the boat, speed or line length. If you are riding 24' boat with Gravity games ballast full you have sufficient equipment to do the job at just about any realistic line length and speed. If 60' feels comfortable that is okay. I would start there at maybe 21.8-22.

cadunkle
07-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Bring it as short as you need to feel comfortable. Behind my Saltare I always rode at 65' 22 MPH and thought that was short because most people say they ride 65'-75'. After riding behind my buddy's Malibu last weekend (much smaller/narrower hull) at 65' 21.5 MPH it felt effortless to cross the wake and I could focus more on technique to get more pop rather than charging hard to make sure I didn't case it. Back behind my boat I shortened it up to 60' still at 22 MPH and it still feels slightly wider than my buddy's Malibu but didn't need to charge balls to the wall to clear it. I like his wake, nice rampy with decent pop. My Saltare feels like it has a little more meat to it and is also rampy, but I don't like how wide it is.

Every hull throws a different wake, the bigger/wider the boat the wider the wake so the shorter the line to be equivalent. If you're casing it shorten up the rope and focus more on technique to pop better. I've found I cased it a lot until I was consistently clearing the wake then with that confidence I would charge harder and focus more on technique. Shortening the rope helped me build that confidence to focus on technique and consistency.

garyholl
07-10-2014, 09:42 PM
What is casing?

tnbrooks01
07-10-2014, 11:44 PM
What is casing?

Casing is actually a motocross term for landing on the top of a jump rather than on the downside. When this occurs you are casing the jump, typically hitting the frame/engine case on the ground.

In wakeboarding terms you case the wake when you do not make it to the downside of second wake on wake to wake jumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk