PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify Boat Model

Albin
06-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Hey Guys,
I have been looking for a good wakesurf boat on a limited budget and have decided to go with a old supra. I would like to get a 92 or newer sunsport to get into composite stringers but the picking has been real thin.
I found this 1989 and it looks like a good deal... but i don't know what it is. At first I thought it was a marauder (my understanding is the marauder is the closed bow sunsport) but it has a weird notch in the hull (bottom middle going back) and the swim deck looks like it is too high on the transom.
Does anyone know what hull this is and ultimately if it would be a good wakesurfer.
Thanks!

Cusefan78
06-03-2014, 08:59 PM
It's a comp. won't be a good wake surfer. The freeboard on them aren't very high. Get a salt or pirata

Albin
06-03-2014, 09:44 PM
That's what i was afraid of. Thanks for your help.
I have been trying to stay under 10k but I found THIS (http://kpr.craigslist.org/boa/4448665766.html) 1997 and was wondering if it is worth the extra cash for a newer model year. What do you guys think?

From CL: This boat is in great shape! Runs great, it has tower speakers sub two batteries. Low hours it has a PCM fuel injected v8, ski trim tab.

Jetlink
06-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Also a Comp.

2500HD
06-03-2014, 10:17 PM
where are you and how far are you willing to travel?

haugy
06-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Also a Comp.

Actually that's a LaBrisa. But still no good for wakesurfing.

Albin
06-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Bummer, I guess I need to get better at identifying these things. I am pretty new to boats but I went wake surfing the other day with a friend and now I need to buy one. :)

2500HD: I live in Idaho Falls, ID and don't mind traveling 500 miles, more for a good deal.

Cusefan78
06-03-2014, 10:56 PM
That's a labrisa. I have surfed behind mine. I remove the back seat and use sacks when I do. Also you can play with the wake plate to get it up bigger. What are they Asking for it, probably has a gt40 engine. Hours? I love my labrisa. Great boat, comfy fast and has a larger freeboard then a comp.

Albin
06-03-2014, 11:21 PM
They are asking 1400 for that one and they didn't list the hours.
surfing will be my number one priority now so i would like to get the most freeboard i can get.
i found a nice 90 sunsport in Boise, but the guy is asking 16500 for it. When i talked to him he said he would go down to 14 but i think that is still overpriced by 4k or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

haugy
06-04-2014, 10:13 AM
It's more like overpriced by about 5-6k. A 90 Sunsport needs to have new stringers and floor to get above 10k in my opinion.

Albin
06-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Yea, that's what I was thinking.
I found THIS (http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/4496883789.html) 92 sunsport. It looks a little fishy though since there is only one photo a short description and no contact phone number.
Assuming its a real boat and in good condition would it be worth 12? I am surprised at the lack of availability of these boats... I may have to expand my search and go for a serious drive to pick one up.

wotan2525
06-04-2014, 12:51 PM
FWIW, I don't think that many of us on the boards would even consider buying a boat with the original wood stringers. And if we did, we'd budget $5-8k for the replacement of them. That means you should be looking for a wood stringer "project" boat in the neighborhood of $5k.

I'd spend $12-14k on a composite boat because that's what you'll have into that wood boat before your done. And that doesn't include your time.

Zim
06-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Couple in my area. I can check them out if you get serious.

~$12k
http://loz.craigslist.org/boa/4441014599.html

~$7k
http://loz.craigslist.org/boa/4494404068.html

Albin
06-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Wotan2525: Thanks for the advice. I have been worried about the wooden stringers but didn't realize how much they would be to replace.

Zim: Thanks for the offer! I am totally serious and hope to have a boat in the next month or two, but I hope to find something a little closer (according to google MO is a 20 hour drive one direction for me). If I can't find anything closer I may end going for a road trip. Unfortunately my truck has an 8.1L engine and I only get 8 miles a gallon... so i would need to factor in $1000 in gas just to pick it up.

haugy
06-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Drive slower. :D

Albin
06-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Haha, I guess so :)

Albin
06-04-2014, 04:29 PM
I found a saltare (I think lol) in spokane that looks promising with these concerns: 1) it has almost never been driven so the engine has sat around for years unused. 2) it is has the wooden stringers.

What do you think THIS (http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/4465592465.html) would be worth?

From CL: 1989 23' Supra open bow boat. Has less than 20 hours of use. 454 Chevy inboard engine with velvet touch transmission, reverse. Gear ratio is 1:1. lots of storage, very clean. Removeable swim deck on rear. Comes with anchor and rope, dock bumpers, oars, mooring cover and a large tube with rope to pull behind. Tandem axle trailer with brakes and chrome wheels. This boat goes fast and is great for pulling tubes or skiiers. Boat is licensed for 2014. Trailer is currently licensed. We are the second owners and have only used it a few times, we just don't have time so want to pass it on to someone that does. Ready for the water, all ways stored inside.

trayson
06-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Yea, that's what I was thinking.
I found THIS (http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/4496883789.html) 92 sunsport. It looks a little fishy though since there is only one photo a short description and no contact phone number.
Assuming its a real boat and in good condition would it be worth 12? I am surprised at the lack of availability of these boats... I may have to expand my search and go for a serious drive to pick one up.

Pretty much the same boat as mine. If you do get it I can certainly tell you how to weight it and the like. I've put LOTS of surf hours on mine and it surfs decent. The price seems around what I'd expect. I got mine for less, but it got it early April and I really worked him down. Mine has more mods, but again, I got a sweet deal.

It's a good all around boat for sure. How high are you willing to up your budget? Too much more and you're getting into cheap vdrive territory (sometimes you can find the vdrives for $15 to $20k if you're lucky)

G/L and let us know if we can help.

trayson
06-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Have you thought about this one? I know it's a *gasp* Bayliner, but it's a V-drive and I've heard they actually surf allright.

It's got perfect pass, so that's a legit bonus. Also already has some racks and tower speakers...

It's also just over in Spokane, so a hell of a lot closer to you...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/4497847980.html

http://images.craigslist.org/01414_i5UHEFHSkAS_600x450.jpg

Albin
06-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Thanks Trayson, I just posed a CL ad for a really clean boat in Washington, but since I'm new to the forum it hasn't shown up.... so stay tuned. I would appreciate the help setting up the weight when I finally do get one. I read through your build log and its one of the reasons I am so interested in the supras ;)

Edit: I just saw your link to the bayliner.. and yea *gasp* LOL. People talk a lot of smack about them but I will look into it a little closer. I will want to add PP and a tower to any boat i get so that's a few thousand I could add to this boat.

trayson
06-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Or you could go to the old standby of the Nautique 2001. But I would never go closed bow or no trunk...

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/4501564781.html

This one is interesting...
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/4497911948.html

Hell, I own a Supra and don't know which model this one is:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/4482311969.html

trayson
06-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks Trayson, I just posed a CL ad for a really clean boat in Washington, but since I'm new to the forum it hasn't shown up.... so stay tuned. I would appreciate the help setting up the weight when I finally do get one. I read through your build log and its one of the reasons I am so interested in the supras ;)

Edit: I just saw your link to the bayliner.. and yea *gasp* LOL. People talk a lot of smack about them but I will look into it a little closer. I will want to add PP and a tower to any boat i get so that's a few thousand I could add to this boat.

yeah, and honestly, you could save a few hundred by going with "Ride Steady" instead of PP. The Ridesteady classic is the same as my PP Wakeboard Pro, and it goes for $900 shipped and they'll give you a $100 rebate if you do a write up on it. Not too bad IMO.
http://www.hydrophase.com/classic

trayson
06-04-2014, 04:51 PM
I read through your build log and its one of the reasons I am so interested in the supras ;)

I figured as such. In a selfish way, I'm kinda happy that you're having a little trouble finding that DD crossover boat that will do everything you're after for the money you've listed. It reassures me that when the time comes that I'll be able to sell my boat for a nice value! hehehe.

I'm most certainly going to upgrade to a V-drive in a few years (sooner if an amazing deal fell into my lap). So I'm hoping that my resale value on my Sunsport holds up in the meantime!

Albin
06-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Yea, I think the posts that you and Mikey have put up have made the old supras really desirable and hard to find. sucks for me but I am sure the value will be there in a few years... unless you want to sell me your boat now LOL.

I am looking through the links you posted, thanks for helping with the search.

I looked at one of the nautique 2001 a while ago and decided against it because of the low feeboard. I showed my wife a video of a guy surfing behind one and she thought it was going to sink and said NO WAY, lol.

Albin
06-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Oh, and the ride steady looks good. I think that's the route I will end up going, it really is a good deal.

trayson
06-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Yea, I think the posts that you and Mikey have put up have made the old supras really desirable and hard to find. sucks for me but I am sure the value will be there in a few years... unless you want to sell me your boat now LOL.

I am looking through the links you posted, thanks for helping with the search.

I looked at one of the nautique 2001 a while ago and decided against it because of the low feeboard. I showed my wife a video of a guy surfing behind one and she thought it was going to sink and said NO WAY, lol.

Well, with as much as I've sacked my boat, I've actually had boats stop me and ask if I needed help as they thought we were sinking! ROFL!

But I've never taken water over the bow and the worst that's happened (even with the rear corner slammed for surfing) is that at rest we've taken a splash of water over the trunk lid. Not even enough to get the rear seat. So I'm damn happy with my freeboard.

Sadly the boat that I've completely fallen in love with is nowhere close to the price range of anything remotely realistic for me. :-(

When I got my boat, my list of requirements were as follows:

Open Bow
Trunk
"budget" wake boat price range
Tower (or add one)
Perfect Pass (or add it)
Board Racks (or add them)
A color I could be happy with (no red, yellow, teal, pink...)
Inboard boat was a given as I wanted to wakeboard/surf

For my next boat my "wish list" has increased and I'm liking different things that cost more money! My "dream" configuration would be a V-drive with a playpen bow. I would really love to have a picklefork bow so that it's even bigger. I am also in love with the wrap around front seating like you see in some of the Supras, Moombas, Malibus, and Axis boats. The flip up "chillax" seating in the walkthrough is something I drool over. And a surf system to delay convergence would be a big bonus but not required. So, now the top of my realistic "dream boat" list is the Axis A22. And sadly those are hard to touch now for under $45k. Boo!!! So hopefully in a couple years those depreciate enough to put them within the realm of what I can afford and mine holds up its value!

haugy
06-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Have you thought about this one? I know it's a *gasp* Bayliner, but it's a V-drive and I've heard they actually surf allright.

http://images.craigslist.org/01414_i5UHEFHSkAS_600x450.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/c0b45739d901b2cc8d3e9865ac319231/tumblr_inline_mrhz5rHNO41s2o53o.gif

trayson
06-04-2014, 05:23 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/c0b45739d901b2cc8d3e9865ac319231/tumblr_inline_mrhz5rHNO41s2o53o.gif

LMAO!!!!

I don't know if I could ever bring myself to buy one. Unless I lied about the brand I owned... It'd be hard to "admit" I had one, that's for sure. But they are a good bang for the buck...

Albin
06-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Lol, so much hate for the bayliners... I even made fun of my old neighbor for having one.
The a22 looks awesome!

I don't know how long its going to take for the other boat i was looking at to pop up so here is a non linking link: spokane.craigslist DOT org/boa/4465592465.html
I am not sure if it is the photo or link that needed mod approval but I am sure it will pop up eventually for future reference.

Anyway take a look and give me some opinions on what it's worth . I know it has sat around a lot so the engine may need to be looked at and its got the wooden stringers.

trayson
06-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Lol, so much hate for the bayliners... I even made fun of my old neighbor for having one.
The a22 looks awesome!

I don't know how long its going to take for the other boat i was looking at to pop up so here is a non linking link: spokane.craigslist DOT org/boa/4465592465.html
I am not sure if it is the photo or link that needed mod approval but I am sure it will pop up eventually for future reference.

Anyway take a look and give me some opinions on what it's worth . I know it has sat around a lot so the engine may need to be looked at and its got the wooden stringers.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/4465592465.html

I dunno. no tower. Wood stringers... And that's some serious Pink with burgundy carpet... Not the boat I'd own. LOL. I think you have some serious bargaining power on that one based on color and age.

http://images.craigslist.org/00p0p_2e7fu45ppKK_600x450.jpg

Albin
06-04-2014, 05:50 PM
I tried sending him a super persuasive text with a offer at 9.5 and he never replied. LOL
I hear you on the pink though.. yuk.

trayson
06-04-2014, 05:53 PM
I tried sending him a super persuasive text with a offer at 9.5 and he never replied. LOL
I hear you on the pink though.. yuk.

Whoever buys that boat better be ready to hold onto it for a long time. It's not going to be an easy one to unload. Since it said engine was replaced with NO mention of stringers, one has to assume that it hasn't had them done.

Cusefan78
06-04-2014, 05:55 PM
In not a supra snob but bayliners, come on! That pirata is a nice boat. That some posted on the last page

haugy
06-04-2014, 06:15 PM
I would rock the hell out of that pink one!!! That thing is awesome! Ditch the butt-ugly interior and get it back to factory and lose the flames. I'd gladly add that to my fleet in a heart-beat!!!!!

But I bet it has had the floors replaced, here's why:

-Bilge looks very very clean, even for a new engine rebuild
-Rear seat layout has been changed, so the bases have been scrapped and rebuilt
-Side panels are all custom built
-Observer's seat has been removed for a forward facing seat, which means the base and the seat have been pulled. While this looks stupid, some work has been done.
-Front seats have been heavily modified to ditch the factory cup holders, and custom cut ones have been put in to the fiberglass.

Somebody has put some money and care into this boat. Other than the fugly interior that boat is drop dead sexy. Change it out to white with pink piping, do with a gray carpet, or yes pink if you can find it, and it would be a pimp boat for sure.

God I wish I was rich.

Albin
06-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Ok, so I called the guy on the pink boat and here is the scoop: Its got 18 hours on the ORIGINAL engine! The guy said an older couple had it before him and never used it. He bought it and has only used it a few times but for the most part has left it sitting in his garage. He said it looks like a new boat all around. The floor and stringers have never been replaced but are basically new since it is a "garage" boat. Its only been on the water for 17 hours.
I forgot to ask him why the seats were re-done. I guess I will ask him when I call him back.
The pink doesn't worry me too much since I own a sign company and can just wrap the boat any color I want later.... but there are the awesome interior colors to deal with.

92SupraComp
06-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Well with a 454 it will dink gas easy but have loads of power. Don't forget, the hour meter, breaks very easily, and is the easiest gauge to disable. Hell our 92 Comp had the hour meter broke at 350 hours when my parents bought it in 1995!

Albin
06-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Good point. I will check the hour meter out. I made an appointment with him to go look at it. I may be the proud owner of the girly pink boat, even my wife who wears pink sweats around the house goes "ewww, that's really pink"

2500HD
06-04-2014, 07:02 PM
It might be worth talking him down a bit. i got mine for 16,500 and he threw in 4 new tires but i had to go to texas for it.
http://chico.craigslist.org/boa/4463982615.html

Albin
06-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Holy crap, that's a great deal! He said he would give it to me for 10k and I thought that was ok, but if i could get a santera for 16.5 I have to wonder.

Cusefan78
06-04-2014, 07:19 PM
You can have all the seats redone for 1500. I have one left in my labrisa and I have little less then 1k into it.

2500HD
06-04-2014, 07:57 PM
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/4492946056.html

Albin
06-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Thats a pretty good deal on the '97, thanks for the link.

So, thinking about budgets, and what I should spend on a boat I got to thinking about gas consumption. About how much gas does the 454 burn an hour compared to the Sunsports with the 351.

EDIT: never mind... i found the answer. It looks like the 454 gets around 6 GPH while the 351 gets 5 ish.

92SupraComp
06-05-2014, 12:05 AM
If you are worried about gas consumption on boats I'd rethink on buying a boat! lol

Albin
06-05-2014, 01:06 AM
yea for real, they are definitely gas hogs. I was just trying to get an idea what owning a boat will cost. its a lot but not undoeable.

I decided not to get the barbie boat. Even though it is super clean I think the wood stringers are a deal breaker, i don't want to have to worry about the boat rotting away on me in a few years.

92SupraComp
06-05-2014, 09:45 AM
well thats if you dont take care of it! If you take care of a boat it will last. Our CC has wood stringers. They are in good shape. The sound test comes back with solid stringers. Just be sure to let the boat dry out. A couple days in the hot sun is good for it. Open every door, take out every seat, every panel. Just let it dry if you get it wet. The stringer will rot fast if you drive it hard and put it away wet with no love and care...

Albin
06-05-2014, 11:34 AM
That's good to know. From what I have been reading the wood stringers seem like a time bomb. I guess people have had problems with water coming in through a leaky exhaust and everything going down hill from there.
I live in a really dry climate so we normally don't have any problems with rot, so i wasn't too worried until I read so many horror stories.
I guess I will keep looking. I still would like to be under 10k since this will be our first boat and we will be figuring things out. From what I have heard the deals are out there so I am going to keep looking hard for a 92 saltare or sunsport under 10.

whammond
06-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Here's a '93 sunsport under $10k. I'm pretty sure this thing has been for sale for a while now, so i don't know exactly whats up with it.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/4455344338.html

Albin
06-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the link. I will give him a call and see if i can get some better photos, the ones on CL are terrible.

Cusefan78
06-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Looks like it needs a wet sanding. Lots of oxidation. The interior is filthy. I really don't understand why people don't clean these boats before they take pictures. I just had my entire car detailed before I traded it in.

SquamInboards
06-06-2014, 08:40 AM
That pink boat is unbelievable. I guess it sat in a barn and the interior was all destroyed, that's a little weird being all new; but everything else looks genuinely original. The dash! Never seen sunlight. And what looks like an original head unit... find me another 90's supra with an original head unit like that. And NO one has a 454 that's been rebuilt that looks THAT stock. There's always something shiny or different. There's even the original Pleasurecraft sticker on the valve cover!

But oohhhh the pinkness. And not just the pinkness but the pink with the BURGUNDY! Forget lake cops. The fashion police would have you in cuffs before you got to the water. ASIDE from the pink interior, that has to be the most original '89 supra on earth.

whammond
06-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Here's a 93' saltare for $8500.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/4449453764.html

SquamInboards
06-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Looks like it needs a wet sanding. Lots of oxidation. The interior is filthy. I really don't understand why people don't clean these boats before they take pictures. I just had my entire car detailed before I traded it in.

oh and yeah. I am having my car detailed Tuesday before I sell it. It's pretty clean, but it's the little stuff that can really make a difference. When I sold my Accord that I had through college, I detailed the $%# out of it, and someone commented, "wow I can tell you really took great care of this car." HA! I cared for it, but it was filthy for 4 years. Then I cleaned it, right before selling it. haha.

Albin
06-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Squam inboards: Yea that pink boat looks pretty cherry. I talked to the guy several times and was about to go up to take a test drive before we decided against it. I figured to get it in a state where I wouldn't be embaresed to own it would cost around 5k... and at 15k I would start looking at some V drives. Plus it was still wood and that scares me a bit.

Cusefan78: I also talked to the guy about the teal boat. I tried to get him to send some more pictures but he wasn't interested. He either doesn't want to sell it that bad or is just hiding something. It looked so dirty from the low res CL pictures I decided just not to worry about it.

Whammond: that 93 Saltare looks very promising! The interior vinyl is going to need to be redone soon and it may need some work but its next on my list for sure! I will give him a call this afternoon when i get a chance. thanks for the link!

Albin
06-06-2014, 05:31 PM
I called on the 93 saltare and have a quick question: he said it had wood flooring and a rotted piece had to be replaced under the captain chair. Since it is a 93 with the curved windshield it must have composite stringers, but when did they move away from wooden floors?

92SupraComp
06-06-2014, 10:59 PM
They are wood floors wrapped in fiberglass with a ton of epoxy... Must have rotted by extra holes being there... Our Comp has gotten plenty wet! The p;lug even got left out once and water was over the floor and the floor is still rock solid... Not the slightest bit give...

Albin
06-07-2014, 04:41 PM
That's good, so the rest of the floor is probably ok. Here are pics of the boat, its interior is totally shot, but the motor and tyranny have just been rebuilt. Let me know what you think this guy is worth:

Albin
06-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Here are a few more photos14282142831428414285

92SupraComp
06-07-2014, 05:02 PM
ehhhh, sorry but I am very leery about trusting people who are the seller. "the motor and tranny have just been rebuilt" That scares me. Because he is selling it, he prob rebuilt them quick and cheaply to get it sold... I don't know. But thats me... Are you going to get more money by selling it broke or working? I just have a hard time trusting a rebuild in order to sell for more. Was it a good mechanic, a friend, a friend of a friend, a friends buddy who can do it cheap??? I would ask lots of questions about the rebuilds... What EXACTLY was wrong and what EXACTLY was replaced, fixed, rebuilt... Ask for receipts, any sort of documents...

Albin
06-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Yea, that's good advice. The boat is actually cosigned to the boat yard that did all the engine work professionally. I talked to to the guy who owns the boat yard and he said he would vouch for the engine and tyranny, but not the rest since he didn't work on anything else.
What has me worried is the overall look of the boat is poor, so i wonder if it just hasn't been taken care of at all and the rest of it is going to need to be replaced soon too.

92SupraComp
06-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Wait, what!??? A Saltare (Please correct if wrong), isn't that the biggest Supra made? Also am I correct in saying that it SHOULD have a Chevy 454, NOT A Ford 351W! Yes its a HO, but its only 285HP vs 330HP and crap load of torque...

Also, I know it sounds odd, but can any of guys or even the guy who owns the saltare up for sale, take a good pic of their "ProTec Ignition" Sticker please? Ours flew off during a 2 hour drive and I just like things looking the way they should. Have a sticker maker just down the road, want to see if she could make one up. Thanks!

2500HD
06-08-2014, 08:59 AM
https://treasure.craigslist.org/bod/4483321892.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/4498962683.html
http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/4509829518.html

Cusefan78
06-08-2014, 09:50 PM
I would be very Leary of that sunsport. It obviously wasn't taken care of if the interior is that shot. I would have the mechanic go through it if it's something you like. You can put a new interior in it for under 2k I wouldn't pay anymore then 5k

Albin
06-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Yea, that boat has me worried too, it just seems to beat up. Plus it's way to far for me to just go look at.

92supracomp: The boat is in a shipyard that is closed today but I found this (attachment) is this what you are looking for?14314

TitanTn
06-08-2014, 10:52 PM
I would be leery of the '93 with the destroyed interior. Sure, it has composite stringers, but it hasn't been taken care of. The entire interior needs to be replaced - it looks like it's been sitting out in the weather with no cover. I bet the dash is a mess too. It's missing a strut on the wake plate. If you could get it for a steal, then maybe, but it needs a lot of work and who knows about the items that have been rebuilt.

92SupraComp
06-08-2014, 11:00 PM
How did he lose a wake plate strut??? Great eye TitanTN! Eh, yeah, I would be extremely cautious..

Hell, my uncle looked at 5 or 6 cars for me down in Daytona.. The 4th was real promising at first.. Looked great in the pics, needed a little tlc but nothing major, that quickly changed when my uncle got there: Ball joints were shot, extremely low on antifreeze, antifreeze leak, the hood struts were shot, (the guy hid the wood prop rod just outside the cameras view!), needed O2 sensors, buttons were worn/missing, etc, etc... On top of that, he said it AWD, which I need, it was only RWD(the guy truly did not know, it was sold to him as an AWD which he wanted too), my uncle found that out after he found everything else wrong! The price went from $3000 straight to the guy saying he will take $1500 with out my uncle making one offer...

Albin
06-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Yea, I noticed wake plate turnbuckle was missing too. I totally forgot about the dash but the guy I talked to said it would need some work. I think there is just too much that could go wrong to make it worth my while. If it wasn't so far away I would go check it out, the guy said its ready for the water mechanically and could take me out for a test drive, it is in Texas so if anyone near san antiono is interested they guy is motivated to sell.
So I guess the search continues...

haugy
06-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Wait, what!??? A Saltare (Please correct if wrong), isn't that the biggest Supra made? Also am I correct in saying that it SHOULD have a Chevy 454, NOT A Ford 351W! Yes its a HO, but its only 285HP vs 330HP and crap load of torque...

Also, I know it sounds odd, but can any of guys or even the guy who owns the saltare up for sale, take a good pic of their "ProTec Ignition" Sticker please? Ours flew off during a 2 hour drive and I just like things looking the way they should. Have a sticker maker just down the road, want to see if she could make one up. Thanks!

The red one is a NO-GO. That was up for sale over a year ago. I thought about going to get it because it was real cheap for a 1993. But it had been saltwater run, and abused to hell and back. Even I wouldn't go after that one.

https://treasure.craigslist.org/bod/4483321892.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/4498962683.html
http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/4509829518.html

That Launch from Nashville is also a dead dog. Kid didn't do anything right to take care of it. Has stains down the hull from the dumbass using toilet bowl cleaner on it. The stern light came off in my hand just from touching it, and cracks cracks cracks everywhere in the gelcoat. Most of them all at the mount points for the tower. That thing should be free.

Albin
06-10-2014, 05:24 PM
Here is the next contender, let me know what you think. It has wood stringers but the engine bolts tighten and dont spin, plus the price is right and it is close.

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/4513338934.html

From CL:

sad to see her go but dont use her as much as i thought we would. Great beginer boat that will do it all! Surf, Ski, Tube, Board, or Cruise. this thing has been nothing but joy for us. always fired up first crank of the key and runs great all day.

mostly all new gauges and wiring behind the dash
kenwood cd player
alpine type r sub
new tower put on last summer
351w runs great with 600ish hours
comes with many extras
2 new batterys this spring
911 acme cnc prop for surfing and wakeboarding
13x13 oj 4 blade for skiing
new trailer bunks
new trailer winch
new trailer bearings
new trailer tires
new trailer brake actuator
new swing tongue on trailer
can throw in many water toys. (tubes, surf board, ballast bags, ballast pumps, life jackets, wakeboard, all safety equipment, etc)

the bad.

needs carpet replaced
some seats need some love
could use a good buff job
perfect pass screen goes blank but still works. (common problem with older perfect pass gauges)

2500HD
06-10-2014, 06:37 PM
I've seen the picture of the guy surfing on the forums here but can't remember where.
One other way to check stringers.....and it is not fool proof.
Tap on the stringers. You will here an audible change when you get to the rot. It will sound hollow.

Jetlink
06-10-2014, 06:46 PM
I've seen the picture of the guy surfing on the forums here but can't remember where.
One other way to check stringers.....and it is not fool proof.
Tap on the stringers. You will here an audible change when you get to the rot. It will sound hollow.

Looks like "Villain's" boat that he picked up out of Vegas.

Albin
06-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Yea, the guy said he got it from Vegas. I found Villains thread from when he bought the boat and I am pretty sure its the same one. This gives me loads of info about it, thanks!

Jetlink
06-10-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm very confident these two boats are in fact one in the same.

Albin
06-10-2014, 11:45 PM
Yea, they are the same for sure, and i bought it :) He was working on the trailer and said he would finish it up for me so i wont be picking it up for 2 weeks but i am excited.
It will need some work but I am up for it. The stringers should last through the summer and I will have them redone over the winter if they need it.

Cusefan78
06-11-2014, 05:35 AM
Congrats and welcome to the family

trayson
06-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Yea, they are the same for sure, and i bought it :) He was working on the trailer and said he would finish it up for me so i wont be picking it up for 2 weeks but i am excited.
It will need some work but I am up for it. The stringers should last through the summer and I will have them redone over the winter if they need it.

I was wondering what happened with your boat saga! I talked a TON with Villian last year. He worked for a Tige dealer and was incredibly knowledgeable and a genuine good guy. Getting a boat from him, I think you're in good hands. Plus, he knows a crap ton about how to set it up and dial it in, so he'll give you the 411 on how to make it right.

Congrats!

honestly, I wish that I had the money to be in the market for a v-drive. I found what I consider "perfection" for just over $30k. (albeit it's simply money that I don't have). I would have LOVED to have sold you my boat and gotten this one: http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=42843

I will have one someday!

Albin
06-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Yea it was an adventure for sure! I almost gave up on finding one for this summer. I even started to look at v drives but they are just out of my budget. I was stoked when this one popped up. It seems like it's in ok shape and villian put a lot of work into it.. but i guess its hard to drive an old supra when you can take out brand new tige.
He got the work he was doing on the trailer done early so i will be picking it up tomorrow afternoon! I will post some pics and more details when i pick it up.

trayson
06-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Yea it was an adventure for sure! I almost gave up on finding one for this summer. I even started to look at v drives but they are just out of my budget. I was stoked when this one popped up. It seems like it's in ok shape and villian put a lot of work into it.. but i guess its hard to drive an old supra when you can take out brand new tige.
He got the work he was doing on the trailer done early so i will be picking it up tomorrow afternoon! I will post some pics and more details when i pick it up.

You should have it by now then...

Albin
06-17-2014, 11:20 PM
I do! i picked it up and it was pretty filthy so i have been cleaning it up a bit. Its in my garage now so I will get some photos when i pull it out in a few days to hit the lake.

Albin
06-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Here is a photo of it in sitting in my garage. Sorry the quality is so poor, the light is bad and the picture is from my phone.
This is after wet sanding and compounding to get the oxidation off. The whole thing was covered with chalky oxidation and the white area used to be splotchy yellow with tons of black spots, like it had been covered in sap or some other goo.

trayson
06-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Looks like you're giving it the attention it deserves. well done.

I think getting some big black vinyl lettering for the side that says "SUPRA" would look great and really set off the white.

I got all my vinyl lettering here: http://www.signnetwork.com/Custom-Vinyl-Lettering-p-46844.html they have a lot of fonts to choose from and you can customize your size. Get the SUPRA for the side and get your registration letters done in a matching font!

Cusefan78
06-18-2014, 08:56 PM
The boat looks great. I really need to wet sand mine this fall, I'm nervous don't want to screw it up. I agree with the black supra on the side but the chrome supra with black outline would look sick