PDA

View Full Version : Help me get my direct drive boat setup for wakesurfing

Jolsen
06-08-2014, 07:18 PM
So I own a 1997 calabria ski brendella ski boat direct drive open bow. I know its not a supra, but it is very similar and i just need help setting it up to wakesurf and go ropeless. We are using about 1000 lbs of ballast in the very back cornor, port side and about 4-5 people in the boat. The wake is best when its in the back and we pack everyone on the port side of the boat. Its a good size wave but just doesnt give us enough push to go ropeless for longer than a couple of seconds. We use a 5.0 liquid force fish (5'). Ive got some pictures of the wake and a video of my son wakesurfing, it seems like we should be able to throw in the rope and ride for longer than 10 seconds but i dont really know. I'm open to anything and will take all the help i can get!14313

Zim
06-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Have you ever surfed behind another boat and gone completely wireless or are you guys just starting your surfing with this boat? You probably need more weight.

I know lots of people will put a big bag along the back bench, and another 750lb bag or so on the side of their motor house. Pack your people in the back corner as much as you can until you get a good sense of the weight you need to get a wave tall enough to give you good push. Once you know how much weight you need, you need to replicate that in ballast, then use your people as an added bonus.

Remember having the direct drive moves all that motor weight to the middle of your boat. A V-drive gives you that much more weight in the back which really helps the wave. You just need to counter that with additional ballast.

jtryon
06-09-2014, 02:42 PM
in my sunsport i go 800 on the surf side, next to the motor, 650 up front, and i also have any passengers sit on the surf side. works for us perfectly, almost everyone can find the push.

Jolsen
06-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Have you ever surfed behind another boat and gone completely wireless or are you guys just starting your surfing with this boat? You probably need more weight.

I know lots of people will put a big bag along the back bench, and another 750lb bag or so on the side of their motor house. Pack your people in the back corner as much as you can until you get a good sense of the weight you need to get a wave tall enough to give you good push. Once you know how much weight you need, you need to replicate that in ballast, then use your people as an added bonus.

Remember having the direct drive moves all that motor weight to the middle of your boat. A V-drive gives you that much more weight in the back which really helps the wave. You just need to counter that with additional ballast.

Yes we have all been out wakesurfing before on a relatives malibu wakesetter. I was able to go ropeless for a run. It was alot of fun but i dont have the money to buy a v drive. We might need more weight but im worried about sinking my boat. When the ballast is filled up, the boat still has about 5 inches to the rub rail. But when we pack all the passengers on the side, the boat lists all the way to the rail. Is it safe to add more weight?

2500HD
06-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Have you tried more weight in the front. It seems that you probably have a very short pocket to play in. The only way to fix that is more weight in the front to make it longer or a surfgate. I would try that first.
As far as safe goes....the driver has control of that, watch when you turn into the wave after a rider falls and don't dump the throttle when a rider falls.

Jolsen
06-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Yeah maybe its time to buy another bag and get more friends!

andyzarkovich
06-18-2014, 09:37 AM
You need more weight. Everywhere.

I fill the back ski locker, under the back seat, entire area under the bow and then I have couple of fat sack bricks that I leave out on the floor or seat to replace bodies. Once you do that you should have a nice wave.

ckracing
06-18-2014, 03:03 PM
I think for the most part, the natural thought would be to weight the hell out of the stern of the boat on your surf side. You absolutely need weight in the bow also. Similar to what Andy Z. says. Look in to this - http://www.wakemakers.com/straight-line-ultimate-wakeboard-sumo-pump-package.html - fill up as much as you can. Place the side sacs in an 'L' shape (side of the motor box, behind the motor box) surfside. If you want to add more weight surfside you can get a Fly High 'Fat Brick' and move it around. This works well for me on a '86 Sunsport. Can find the pocket every time.