PDA

View Full Version : 92 Comp Exhaust

cjtpilot
06-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Ok sum it up I have been chasing a water leak, tightened prop shaft and rudder. However take it out and run it and I still have water coming in from somewhere........ From the engine back in the center section is good. However I noticed the left rear carpet was wet yesterday. Could it be fro the water coming thru the exhaust manifold into the floor? I looked from the rear inside the exhaust and the only place I can see is about 6inches in it looks like maybe there is a attach point with a gasket that could leak? Otherwise it is a strait wide open tube to the hose coming off the manifold.

inair
06-09-2014, 09:42 AM
These boats can take on water in weird ways. Last year I had a bunch of water coming out from under the dash when the front bilge pump wold come on. I finally found a place in the bilge line where the PO had spliced two sections of bilge line using a piece of aluminum tubing that had completely oxidized away. Then a few weeks ago I had another steady stream of water coming from under the dash again but only while cruising at 20k while wake boarding. At first I thought it was probably another bilge line issue but when I stuck my head under there I found that the pitot tube to one of the speedos had come off and for some reason at certain speeds water was forced in and was keeping my fee cool :)

I sure don't know what you have going on but good hunting!

Jetlink
06-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Check your rub rail...if you're not at 25+MPH in the comp, your rub rail is probably down near the water and getting in there. Try applying a small bead of silicone along the underside of your rub rail from about the doghouse back for starters and report back.

cjtpilot
06-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Check your rub rail...if you're not at 25+MPH in the comp, your rub rail is probably down near the water and getting in there. Try applying a small bead of silicone along the underside of your rub rail from about the doghouse back for starters and report back.

That could very well be a cause, my rub rail is beat and cracked all to hell. One of my winter projects is to replace it.

Cusefan78
06-09-2014, 11:45 AM
I know you said it's coming from the middle but I just found a leak coming out of the seam from one of my silencers. It was rubbing in the hull. I jb welded it and I'm back in action. Haven't had a leak since

cjtpilot
06-09-2014, 11:47 AM
How did you get to the silencer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjtpilot
06-09-2014, 11:49 AM
After seeing the floor wet on that side, I am thinking either the exhaust or like jetlink said the rub rail . I just can't see how to gain access to where the muffler should be

Cusefan78
06-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Remove the dog house. Remove the back bench(slides out). You will see two seams in the rug mine had two screws holding it down. The cover should lift out. While you have it open you should check to make sure both blowers are working. I jb welded mine cause I had it on hand but i would reglass the area. Also I would check the 3.5" exhaust hoses coming from the manifolds. Both of mine dry rotted last year and had a small drip. If they are bad get the soft hoses way easier to put back on. First one I did I use the one with te metal spring and it took me two hours of banging it with a sledgehammer. The second I used the new soft hose and it slid right on. Also check all your clams you should have two at each fitting. Lastly check the baffles. A lot of time the caulk goes bad and you'll have water coming in from there. I did all that and other then the drop I get from my prop shaft it's bone dry. Sits in the water during the weekends and the bilge never turns on.

cjtpilot
06-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Hoses coming off manifolds are good, I checked those right away. I had bench seat up yesterday and could only find access to center flooring, my exhaust runs outside of the stringers. I pulled up carpet a little but didn't see any screws attaching the outer floor and when I looked up the tail pipe it was hallow almost like there were no mufflers just a tube running from the manifold hose to the thru hull exhaust tips

Cusefan78
06-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Hmm sorry mine runs through that center opening

Cusefan78
06-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Do a search on this site for comp floor or stringer replacement there should be some pics of how the exhaust is plumbed.

92SupraComp
06-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Hey, glad I found this. The comps are different! There SHOULD be a giant fiberglass chamber with 4 3.5" ports on the back of your motor. After that it goes to stainless piping all the way back to the exhaust flanges. These boats DO NOT have traditional mufflers! I will get pics.

cjtpilot
06-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Hey, glad I found this. The comps are different! There SHOULD be a giant fiberglass chamber with 4 3.5" ports on the back of your motor. After that it goes to stainless piping all the way back to the exhaust flanges. These boats DO NOT have traditional mufflers! I will get pics.

No chamber on my boat, it has the hose come straight from the manifold down into the floor on each side. My question is does the pipe in the floor have a joint in there that could let the water into the sump area?

cjtpilot
06-09-2014, 03:28 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/10/4usadady.jpg

Jetlink
06-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Short answer is no. It's a solid piece from front to back...at least that's how it should be. The only joints are where the rubber exhaust hose goes over with the hose clamp and then where the outlets are.

cjtpilot
06-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Ok thats what it looked like from what I could see, that leads me to more like the rub rail. I am just trying to think of where that much water can come in in that short of time. Makes since also with the speeds that I notice it at are lower 23mph and under.

Jetlink
06-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Boom, that's it right there. Let me guess, your bilge really runs after you've been cruising at those speeds and then come to rest and idle.

cjtpilot
06-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Bingo!!!!!

Jetlink
06-09-2014, 04:18 PM
I stand behind my diagnosis of the rub rail. Apply that bead around the base of the rub rail, go out after it's set up and report back.

cjtpilot
06-09-2014, 04:21 PM
now I just need it to not rain tomorrow so I can seal it and let it cure.

92SupraComp
06-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Someone nicked the "muffler" out of your boat! I wonder why... When its there but hollow its awesome. Very unique sounds and is easily heard and recognizable 2+ miles away! :D When we take the comp (rare ever since the we got the CC) our friends hear us way before we are there, gives them time to prepare! lol

92SupraComp
06-09-2014, 08:46 PM
This how its supposed to look!

And there is supposed to be a red sticker stating: "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." Even stock it wasn't silent, but it sure does silent the competition! :D

Also, can anyone take a good pic of the ProTec sticker? ours flew off on the drive home due to driving with no engine cover...

Cusefan78
06-09-2014, 09:32 PM
What kind of silicone are you using. Now I want to do mine to be safe.

cjtpilot
06-09-2014, 09:36 PM
I am using stuff called proseal. We use it at work to seal fuel tanks, windshields and any sheet metal repairs on jets.

Jetlink
06-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Cap it off with some speed tape while you're at it.

cjtpilot
06-09-2014, 10:21 PM
I am until it fully cures. Lol

92SupraComp
06-10-2014, 12:21 AM
Awww, I just noticed somone else also nicked the Holley 4010 that Supra had special ordered... Cool carb compared to the 4160, also more fun ;)