PDA

View Full Version : New to me 1986 susport project

Brosh
06-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Hello all, i have been lurking here for about six months as well as some other forums and decided that the boat for me and my budget was going to be a 80's Sunsport. Well after that decision i put my motorcycle for sale and kept an eye out on CL to see what there was on the market. I was looking for a bit less of a project that i could use for a season or two and updating and restoring over the winter, but then on Friday i saw an ad for an 86 sunsport for cheap. Well i am in the Minneapolis area and the boat was north of Detroit, but after some texting and a conversation i decided that i better hurry and get there to purchase it. Well i drive through the night and purchased my project the next morning. After driving around a bit to get all the parts. (he has it taken apart to fix the interior himself but now had to move within a week for work) I was back on the road again for a wonderful 13 hour no sleep straight through drive. Here is the pics from the ad and a couple i snapped of the first thing that needs work.

http://imgur.com/ZA2fSLK,v6RBgYZ,UJyKFj0,xe6EzQK,KXSqi85,3kCoLvJ,rH lPAp9,FYb6DDI,gTXAxlb

Looks like the boat smashed into something in the rear bent the metal around the swim platform, and ruined the two side mounting brackets. So i need to repair that damage so i can attach the platform properly, and so she doesn't sink.

I also went to see if it would start, it easily turned over, however the battery cables got really hot and it turned too slow to start, so i think i need a new starter too.

half the interior is in good shape and the other half needs to plywood, but the vinyl is mostly in good shape and just needs a cleaning. There is also a soft spot under where the captains chair sits, however with one exception of the cross beam under the fuel tank, the stringers seem to be in great shape (a bit of a surprise as i was sure that they were going to need immediate attention) so now the plan is to get this ready enough to enjoy as much summer as i can, and then really get into going over everything when the weather no longer makes that enjoyable.

Josh

Brosh
06-09-2014, 03:23 PM
I forgot to add I am looking for suggestions on the best way to repair the holes in the transom so i can properly attach either this swim platform, or i was thinking i may want to build my own as i want to use this for surfing and this kind of platform really can ruin a wave, when i get that far.

Thanks!

Cusefan78
06-09-2014, 09:14 PM
You can reglass it then gelcoat it. Not that big of a deal but if it was my boat I would find a good fiberglass guy in your area. Shouldnt be that bad of job for a pro. As for the engine if it's been sitting for a while I would spray some oil into the cylinders and manually turn the crank just to loosen things up. As for the starter. Db electronics will have the best price and quick delivery. Just got an alternator from them, had it in two days.

Brosh
06-10-2014, 09:21 AM
That is great info on where to get a starter thanks! The engine turns fine so i am not worried about that, i am sure that with a new starter it will fire right up!

andyzarkovich
06-10-2014, 01:41 PM
I've seen that boat on craigslist for a while here around Michigan. I think it was in ohio first. Haha. I actually almost went to buy it myself. If I remember right and if it's the same boat, there was damage to the hull of that boat in the rear. That's why I didn't buy it a couple years ago. I would get a good fiberglass guy and have him check the whole thing over. That transom looks scarey but fiberglass work is surprisingly not super expensive if you find the right guy or dealer. The owner of that boat sounded clueless when I talked to him.

It sounds like the bearings in your starter are seized. u can get starters rebuilt in a lot of areas for much less than replacing them.

There is a forum on wakeworld about building a transom. The one u have gets in the way of a wakesurf wake. If your going to keep it just rip that bar off around it and Hydroturf the whole thing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Brosh
06-10-2014, 02:02 PM
That is some great info... yeah the guy said it had come from Ohio first... My neighbor is a marine mechanic so he has already been over and poked around too so i am pretty confident that with some time and TLC and help from, him and on here, i can make a great surf boat out of it... From wakeworld are you referring to building a new platform instead of transom... building a new transom seems like overkill...

andyzarkovich
06-10-2014, 02:28 PM
I meant platform not transom. Good luck and watch that back bottom area.