PDA

View Full Version : How to reset circuit breaker

wilber999
06-11-2014, 06:08 PM
New owner of a 2006 Supra 22ssv with a VSR equipped dual battery setup. Screwed up and left bilge pumps on and ran both batteries completely dead. Charged cranking battery but accessory battery is still dead. Plan to charge this weekend. Currently, the only accessories that work are gauges, depth finder and perfect pass. I am assuming nothing else works due to dead accessory battery being dead. Once I get it charged, will the accessories automatically start working or do I need to reset a breaker? If breaker reset is needed, where is it and how do I do it?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

garyholl
06-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Lay on the floor under the dash and look up. The Resetable breakers will be under there fairly obvious with black rubber domes covering them. Just push.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Wylietunes
06-11-2014, 07:47 PM
A breaker should not trip or require resetting, simply by having the battery run dead by a bilge. They should only trip when there an over current on that particular circuit. Charge that other battery and you should good

Further, I would investigate a little to see why batteries isolated with a dual-circuit plus switch and an ACR, both ran dead with a bilge pump(s) left on. Should have only run one dead, unless the switch was left in the combine position, or theres 2 pumps and each is wired to a battery.

wilber999
06-11-2014, 09:09 PM
@garyholl.. Thanks.. I am aware of that panel but could not read the labels to see which ones to press. Should I press all of them or is there a "master"? @wylietunes - you are correct I was an idiot an had the battery position in dual ("1" and "2").. Lots of power being used, no charging occurring. Family paid for it with the "tow of shame".

On another contributing note, the manual for my boat indicates that the switch should always be in position "1" (cranking battery). However, position "1" wires go to my accessory battery and position "2" goes to my cranking battery (engine ground, ground to accessory, and one power cable labeled "engine"). I have been trying to "fix" the issue by trying to follow the manual but a new battery and frustration indicates that I should be keeping it in "2"

wilber999
06-13-2014, 12:02 AM
Being an idiot, I didn’t turn the batteries off and they were in the dual position( lesson learned). In addition, I didn't turn the switch off when I removed the accessory battery and blew the 40amp amplifier fuse.Went back to the marina tonight and both batteries are now charged. I can start the engine in both positions (even the accessory position). However, no accessories work. The only things that work are the gauges, perfect pass, and depth finder. Nothing else (including blower). I think I reset the thermal circuit properly. The lever was down and I raised it back (I would post a picture but I can’t without moderator approval and none of my others have been approved). I also reset (pushed the buttons) on all circuits under the dash and verified every fuse I could find.. no dice.. Any thoughts? Is there another breaker in the engine compartment related to accessories?

Jetlink
06-13-2014, 12:40 AM
What other pictures need approval? Name a thread and post number.

Wylietunes
06-13-2014, 07:56 AM
On another contributing note, the manual for my boat indicates that the switch should always be in position "1" (cranking battery). However, position "1" wires go to my accessory battery and position "2" goes to my cranking battery (engine ground, ground to accessory, and one power cable labeled "engine"). I have been trying to "fix" the issue by trying to follow the manual but a new battery and frustration indicates that I should be keeping it in "2"

With a dual-circuit plus switch and ACR, yes, normal operation position is the "ON" position. Unless i am misunderstanding your setup, there is not a "2" position, just "COMBINE" and "OFF" in addition to "ON". Can you clarify this before we get too deep into switch operation?

wilber999
06-13-2014, 08:51 AM
What other pictures need approval? Name a thread and post number.

I do not have a post number but the thread is https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?16326-Newbie-Battery-Issue-quot-1-quot-won-t-start

Thanks

wilber999
06-13-2014, 08:52 AM
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?16326-Newbie-Battery-Issue-quot-1-quot-won-t-start

wilber999
06-13-2014, 08:53 AM
With a dual-circuit plus switch and ACR, yes, normal operation position is the "ON" position. Unless i am misunderstanding your setup, there is not a "2" position, just "COMBINE" and "OFF" in addition to "ON". Can you clarify this before we get too deep into switch operation?

The setup that I have is on pg 53 of the manual here - http://supraboats.com/library/downloads/SupraOwners_2006.pdf

Thanks

wilber999
06-13-2014, 08:57 AM
The setup that I have is on pg 53 of the manual here - http://supraboats.com/library/downloads/SupraOwners_2006.pdf

Thanks

Here is a picture of the circuit breaker that I want to make sure it set correctly14529

Jetlink
06-13-2014, 09:15 AM
I do not have a post number but the thread is https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?16326-Newbie-Battery-Issue-quot-1-quot-won-t-start

Thanks

They show up just fine and don't say that they are "moderated" posts. Go check but they should be showing up just fine now.

wilber999
06-13-2014, 09:20 AM
They show up just fine and don't say that they are "moderated" posts. Go check but they should be showing up just fine now.

Thank you.. It could be an id-10-t error.. Been getting that a lot lately

Jetlink
06-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Thank you.. It could be an id-10-t error.. Been getting that a lot lately

Same here...good news though is that with your post count, going forward you shouldn't run into these issues.

wilber999
06-13-2014, 11:17 AM
I think I am getting closer.. My breaker (picture previously posted) is similar this circuit breaker - http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Transportation/Circuit%20Protection/resources/datasheets/BUS_Tns_DS_18X_CIRCUITBREAKER.pdf that was in the "tripped" position. However, I reset it by pressing the lever back up but the accessories still did not come on. When I push the button, it trips again. Should I hold the button as I am resetting it? My boat is on the water that is about an hour from me and I can't try things currently. Any help is appreciated.

Wylietunes
06-13-2014, 11:24 AM

Thanks

Ok, that answers alot. Your boat does not have a dual-circuit plus switch the VSR/ASR. You have a traditional dual battery switch with a VSR somewhere. This is an oddball combo, but can work. So yes, I would say that leaving the switch in the "1" position for normal operation would be best. If everything else is wired in the ideal configuration, They will draw off battery #2 when anchored, leaving #1 in reserve to restart.

Wylietunes
06-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Here is a picture of the circuit breaker that I want to make sure it set correctly14529

Thats a resetable circuit breaker, not a voltage sensing relay. If the black "arm is out, its tripped. If the black arm is not out at a 30* angle, its in the closed/not tripped position and is good to go.

wilber999
06-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Thats a resetable circuit breaker, not a voltage sensing relay. If the black "arm is out, its tripped. If the black arm is not out at a 30* angle, its in the closed/not tripped position and is good to go.

Thank you.. So if this reset arm is not tripped and I still have no accessories working, what else could be the problem?

Wylietunes
06-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Thank you.. So if this reset arm is not tripped and I still have no accessories working, what else could be the problem?

I would first look for a rouge battery cable that gotten away and not hooked up. next would be to break out a volt meter and go to the helm and find out whether its B+ or B- thats no there. Then trace that circuit back until you find the problem.

wilber999
06-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks all.. I will update after my next attempts to resolve the issue.

wilber999
06-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Figured it out... Had it wired wrong. Not all black cables are grounds. Especially the one going to the circuit breaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk