PDA

View Full Version : Cheap…what should I inspect first on this one?

datman
06-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Looking to get into a supra here in the NEw Orleans area….
I will be looking at this boat this coming weekend and was wondering what the first thing I should on this boat….

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/4503771475.html

michael hunter
06-12-2014, 07:40 AM
Check for soft spots in the floor especially around the drivers seat and back seat. Look at the stringers for any signs of cracks . Take a small hammer or wrench and tap on the stringers listen for any hollow sounds the should sound solid. Bring a 9/16 socket and try to tighten the motor mount bolts going into the stringer take one or two out it should look clean and dry. If the boat fails any of these tests it has bad stringers . It will cost 3-5k to repair . What is up with the drivers seat?

Blackntan90
06-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Compression test, motor mounts and strut alignment, fluid conditions(burnt smelling, etc.) and where is the original captains chair? A water test would be a must for me as well.

haugy
06-12-2014, 09:26 AM
This has been covered multiple times, please use the search button. I will say that $4500 is high for that boat IMO.

dirtydawg
06-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Soft spots in floor. especially around where captains chair would have been bolted to it. Keep in mind that model is better for skiing than wake boarding or surfing. Not sure what your primary use will be. For that price you can find better

datman
06-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Soft spots in floor. especially around where captains chair would have been bolted to it. Keep in mind that model is better for skiing than wake boarding or surfing. Not sure what your primary use will be. For that price you can find better

Thanks for the heads up...not sure where I can find better that isnt far away??????
I am looking for surfing/wakeboarding

Zim
06-12-2014, 11:45 AM
I'd pass on that. That's not a wakeboat, that's a ski boat with a tower on it. By the looks of that motor, not much has been done in the way of upkeep. Keep on looking. What's your budget allow for? Also where are you located?

datman
06-12-2014, 11:47 AM
what about this one?...guy said he is firm at $7950........IDK...looks clean....Im not looking for the biggest wake producer or the best...just looking for a beginner boat

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Supra-TS6M-not-Mastercraft-/221461996654?forcerrptr=true&hash=item339029e46e&item=221461996654&pt=Power_Motorboats

datman
06-12-2014, 11:48 AM
I'd pass on that. That's not a wakeboat, that's a ski boat with a tower on it. By the looks of that motor, not much has been done in the way of upkeep. Keep on looking. What's your budget allow for? Also where are you located?

new orleans area.....Id like to come in at $7k max

datman
06-12-2014, 11:50 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Supra-TS6M-not-Mastercraft-/221461996654?forcerrptr=true&hash=item339029e46e&item=221461996654&pt=Power_Motorboats

this one?

Zim
06-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Are you looking for Supra only? Main problem with most Supra's that you'll find in that price range are that they're still wood stringers and lots have rotted away over the year. Not a problem if you're okay with a little DIY project, but most people want to drop money on something they can use, not fix.

Do you wakeboard or surf more?

datman
06-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Are you looking for Supra only? Main problem with most Supra's that you'll find in that price range are that they're still wood stringers and lots have rotted away over the year. Not a problem if you're okay with a little DIY project, but most people want to drop money on something they can use, not fix.

Do you wakeboard or surf more?

I used to wakeboard back in early 2000s...trying to get back into it and wakeskating and now wake surfing....I am open to other boat suggestions...again, not looking to be a pro at it..just something that I can use to get back into it!

cjtpilot
06-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Keep looking, I picked up my 92 Comp for $5600, it is all composite and other then rebuilding the carb all I have had to do is some TLC. I have less than $8500 total invested and thats buying all the gear and a tower and barefoot boom.

Cusefan78
06-12-2014, 03:34 PM
That boat on ebay is a comp. it's a ski boat with a low freeboard. It'll be great for skiing but you won't be able to sack it to get a good wakeboarding wake. That First one is a pass the motor looks like it sat underwater for a year with all that rust and what is he thinking with the good down $50 wise fishing seat.

datman
06-12-2014, 03:58 PM
That boat on ebay is a comp. it's a ski boat with a low freeboard. It'll be great for skiing but you won't be able to sack it to get a good wakeboarding wake. That First one is a pass the motor looks like it sat underwater for a year with all that rust and what is he thinking with the good down $50 wise fishing seat.

can you name for me some boats that I need to look at?

Zim
06-12-2014, 04:36 PM
can you name for me some boats that I need to look at?

Supra:
Saltare
Pirata
Sunsport

Nautique

Mastercraft
205V

Best bet for surfing is the Saltare or Sunsport. The MC will give a great wakeboard wave sacked out but wont surf well. The nautique will give a great wakeboard wake and surfable surf wave.

datman
06-12-2014, 04:40 PM
supra:
Saltare
pirata
sunsport

nautique

mastercraft
205v

best bet for surfing is the saltare or sunsport. The mc will give a great wakeboard wave sacked out but wont surf well.

thanks for the help!

Zim
06-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Here's a 2001.. looks to be in nice shape.
http://loz.craigslist.org/boa/4484441463.html

datman
06-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Here's a 2001.. looks to be in nice shape.
http://loz.craigslist.org/boa/4484441463.html

lol..thats a 22 hr drive round trip...

datman
06-12-2014, 08:22 PM
22 hr round trip drive! lol

gogger
06-13-2014, 06:38 AM
I am headed to New Orleans soon to pick up my new boat. I can bring you my Pirata. lol. New stringers and floor professionally done. Donny said they should last 20 years at least. Have to be guaranteed you want it though. Can't bring 2 boats back.

gogger
06-13-2014, 06:40 AM
454 with a new carb last year. 450 hours I will throw in 1500 lbs of fat sacs. Throws a great wake for wakeboarding or surfing.

Cusefan78
06-13-2014, 06:53 AM
Jump on that deal. Sold boat and it's gets delivered. What else can you ask for?

haugy
06-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Jump on that deal. Sold boat and it's gets delivered. What else can you ask for?

Seriously. Great platform to start with. New stringers and floor, all wetsanded and polished, in great running condition, and delivered. JUMP ON THAT!

datman
06-13-2014, 10:43 AM
I am headed to New Orleans soon to pick up my new boat. I can bring you my Pirata. lol. New stringers and floor professionally done. Donny said they should last 20 years at least. Have to be guaranteed you want it though. Can't bring 2 boats back.

HMMMMMMMM!!!! IM VERY INTERESTED..I will be in the new orleans area sunday night..I am driving from toronto to new orleans, leaving tomorrow around lunch time... titleed? registered? trailer? In your name?
send me pics all the pics you have.......why you getting rid of it??? Price???

datman
06-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Seriously. Great platform to start with. New stringers and floor, all wetsanded and polished, in great running condition, and delivered. JUMP ON THAT!

I searched the site and saw the pics of the interior....and I see your asking price...I think you are outside my budget!!!!!

cjtpilot
06-13-2014, 11:32 AM
http://lafayette.craigslist.org/boa/4495573648.html
http://gulfport.craigslist.org/boa/4466130043.html
http://lakecharles.craigslist.org/bod/4505468731.html

Jetlink
06-13-2014, 11:48 AM
I searched the site and saw the pics of the interior....and I see your asking price...I think you are outside my budget!!!!!

If that is the case, he might negotiate a little. Secondly, this boat went through a total restoration within the last year and a half and we all have seen the work that went into this specific boat. I mean this in a good way when I say this boat is a grenade that someone needs to fall on especially if you are looking for a surf and wakeboard boat. That is all they did with this boat really and the only reason he is selling is he is upgrading.

cjtpilot
06-13-2014, 12:00 PM
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/4494892206.html
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/4518608502.html
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/4515184145.html
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/4480059802.html
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/4479923539.html
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/4489608889.html

However I would SERIOUSLY consider talking to gogger about his boat!!! I mean to not try for a boat so many on this sight recommend would be foolish.

Zim
06-13-2014, 12:04 PM
Pretty sure he mentioned his budget is around $7500 bucks. $12k dollar boats are almost double that.

datman
06-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Pretty sure he mentioned his budget is around $7500 bucks. $12k dollar boats are almost double that.

I appreciate all the input! I have no doubt that gogger's boat is exactly what I NEED!!! but I cant spend close to what he is asking!!!! I can move some, but I cant move $4k....

I have I seen all of the those craigslist posts....they are still out of my price range........
I i were to get one, it def would be gogger's.... so we will see what happens...I really do appreciate everyones input! Its comforting know that you guys know his boat and its def nice...Hell, I could even pick up tomorrow as its not that far off of my route home to new orleans from Toronto!

andyzarkovich
06-13-2014, 01:02 PM
If you only have 7500 to spend, buy a old Sunsport or saltare that needs work. Put a ballast system in and Run in with the way it is until you save up enough money to redo the stringers, Upholestry, and decals or paint. Then when you get all that stuff done you will have a boat that functions the way you want and looks pretty and will have a solid floor and super fun and functional boat for years to come. Honestly if you only have 7500 to spend, it might be safer to just wait altogether, but it's tough to stop boat fever so I think buying a old supra or saltare that needs work is going to give you the most joy for your hard earned dollar.

chris young
06-13-2014, 01:36 PM
My .02

There have been lot's of guys on this forum who've bought usable boats for a lot less than 7500. I bought my '84 Rider for 2200 but no trailer. It's got lots of issues and I've put quite a bit of work into it, but, it was skiable right out of the box. I know the stringers are shot, but the ones under the motor are fairly sound, and the PO just put a new floor over the old one. I had to pull the tank to back the swim platform brackets, but that was all I needed to do to ski it for the first season. This winter I overhauled the carb, and I just corrected the ignition wiring. I rebuilt the harmonic balancer, and the raw water pump but that was more for peace of mind than required work.

It depends on what you want. I ski, so I don't care about towers and ballast, so I'm not worried about the stringers. If I was going to load it down with ballast, I might be a bit more concerned. That being said, I've had 5 adults in the boat and it still skied great. I'll just pick away at it as I get time, but my boat is a slalom tug and it does the job quite well.

Keep looking, you'll find something.

andyzarkovich
06-13-2014, 02:20 PM
The other biggest thing I would say is that if you can wait and save up more money...

Say. 15,000... You could get yourself into a boat probably better suited for your needs and without all the man hours, stress and money fixing up an older boat.

If you have to have a boat right now. I would just find the best deal you can find, use it and when you have more money, renovate the boat you are using or sell it and buy what you want. I will guarantee that you will have less time, effort and money into a 15,000 v drive that has no wood... But it can be fun to build up these older boats. Depends on your resources and how you are wired.

Jetlink
06-13-2014, 03:43 PM

Every boat is a $12,000 boat whether you pay it all up front for a turn key boat or you buy a project and pay someone to do the work for you or you do the work yourself. My boat cost me $4,000 to purchase and I am already into it another $4,000 in repairs and modifications I bet, not that I am keeping track and I am still doing a cap off restoration in the near future... It all adds up in the end. Either pay it out up front and have what will be a worry free boat or roll the dice like so many have before.

datman
06-13-2014, 04:17 PM
every boat is a $12,000 boat whether you pay it all up front for a turn key boat or you buy a project and pay someone to do the work for you or you do the work yourself. My boat cost me $4,000 to purchase and i am already into it another $4,000 in repairs and modifications i bet, not that i am keeping track and i am still doing a cap off restoration in the near future... It all adds up in the end. Either pay it out up front and have what will be a worry free boat or roll the dice like so many have before.

boat= bust out another thousand

gogger
06-13-2014, 11:14 PM
Well when I bought my boat I knew I wanted an inboard ski boat. Didn't even think at looking at forums. Just found the pirata sitting in a barn in Cleveland in the middle of winter. Didn't know anything about stringers rotting. Anyways, I got her for $4200 and thought I stole it. Knew it needed upholstery. First guy that looked at it quoted me $13000 to fix the stringers and upholstery. About had a heart attack. Wanted to take it back. Guy wouldn't give me my money back. And some how I found this website. A banned member calmed me down and gave me the number for Bennett's boat repair. I called and talked to Donny. He gave me some advice on how to get it through the first season. I figured if I used it as much as I thought I would I would probably be willing to invest in the repairs to make her right.

We used it at least twice a week in it's bad state of repair. I did have the upholstery done before the first season started, but the carpet was the original stuff and the floor had some serious soft spots. Git Rot held the engine in place.

At the end of the first season I took it to Tennessee and had Donny take care of her. Even had her wet sanded. Turned out great. The upholstery was $3000 and my bill at Donny's was around $9000 with the tower, wet sanding, and the stringers and floor.

So there is $16,000 and then there is a bunch of other stuff, like new tires on the trailer, new led lights on trailer, sand and paint the trailer, new fenders on trailer, $1300 custom made mooring cover. And the list can go on and on. Surely have over $20,000 in her over the last 3 years. Oh forgot new carb last year, and an HEI distributor I have yet to install. Acme Prop $400 or so. Got two of them plus the original 4 blade that is a little dinged up. And one of the ACME's has a slight ding, been meaning to send it in to get fixed.

Donny installed a new rudder, and steering cable also.

List could go on and on. Underwater led, and some other led lighting on the boat.

So really my boat is a steal at $12,000 just don't think anyone would pay $20,000 for her. Don't think anyone is going to pay $12,000.... I was just going to pay on the new one with what I get out of her. Figure the money spent on her is like spending it on a mistress. The wife doesn't know and I will never get it back. But man was it fun! And she is sexy as hell.

Was just kidding for the most part when I through that out there. But if your interested throw me an offer. Like I said, if I hauled her to New Orleans I would have to leave her one way or another.

Might be a viking funeral.

gogger
06-13-2014, 11:26 PM
Honestly the only reason I am selling is that we want a v-drive. We rode in knoxs 07 at the reunion last year and loved it. My wife wants the big platform to lay out on, and the open bow to chill while we board. That way a bunch of wet kids aren't dripping all over her.

I truly love the pirata. Pretty much like a classic car. We went out Thursday night to the river near here where all the inboard ski boats go. When we were wiping her down in the parking lot, a guy with a malibu came up and was asking about the engine. Said it sounded like a beast. Which it is. Love that 454.

If it was feasable I would keep her and still get another boat. But that wouldn't be fair to the pirata. She loves hitting the water. And I know I would only take her out occasionally. If I had a barn with a concrete floor that I could store her in I would keep her I guess. Just for the memories if nothing else.

But she will make someone a great boat.

I am in Ohio if you are driving through stop by and we will take her out. If you are in New Orleans next weekend let me know. Looks like I will be going down on Wednesday and heading back Saturday. Want to take out the new boat on Saturday and you are welcome to go along if you are going to be around.

Moor
06-17-2014, 03:08 PM
22 hr round trip drive! lol

I drove from upstate NY to South Carolina to get my Supra. 15hrs each way. You should be able to find a good boat for $7k or less. I paid $6500 for my 87 sunsport 454, trailer included. Its 100% original, and in great shape. Floors and strings are solid and won't need rebuilding for a long time. always garaged, never moored blah blah blah.... I put over 100 hours on the engine last year (actual boat time is 4 times that, i like to drop anchor and float) and this is my second season with it. besides gas and oil it hasnt cost me a penny. I guess what im trying to say is: Not every boat in the $5k-$8k price range is a peice of junk. If you look hard enough you can find one in good shape that you can use for years before it needs major work. But you might have to be willing to drive half way across the country to buy it lol.