PDA

View Full Version : Steering hard to turn

Henner
06-12-2014, 11:49 AM
90 Comp turned both directions with ease last summer. Replaced the Rudder packing this spring and have noticed that the boat turns to the left with a finger but when turning to the right at slow speed i have to muscle it. What should i troubleshoot or replace to fix this? The steering cable is possibly the factory one. I bought this boat last summer and been fixing it up since.

Thanks,

cjtpilot
06-12-2014, 12:34 PM
i have almost same issue, harder to turn right then left. Although I can bare with it until this winter I am hoping a cable will do the trick.

Zim
06-12-2014, 12:42 PM
It either needs lube, or a new cable.

David G
06-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Mine was doing the same thing. It really got bad last weekend. You really had to muscle it both directions. I wanted to make sure I had not damaged my rudder due to an earlier underwater strike. I disconnected the rudder from the steering cable (one bolt), and the rudder swung easily side to side. Had to be the cable. Just had it replaced today. I can turn either direction (stop to stop) with one finger. What a difference. $455 total. I was charged for 1.5hrs labor, but took tech 2.5 hrs to complete. After he described the procedure, and all he had to do to complete the job, I am so glad I did not tackle this one myself. Get a new cable and enjoy your boat.

Cusefan78
06-12-2014, 07:08 PM
If it moves easy both directions when it's not moving everything is good. If it's hard in one direction not moving it's either the rudder packing is sticking in one direction or the cable is bad. If it's under power and it's one direction it's suppose to be that way to keep the ski boat tracking in a straight line easier. I thought mine was bad and changed the cable, greased and re packed the rudder and it was good at a stop but was tight turning to the left. Thought the helm was bad but talked to Vince at skidim and he said its suppose to be that way.

Henner
06-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Ok Cusefan, if i am just sitting at idle i can turn both directions with easily. But once son falls off board and i slow down to turn around its difficult to turn to the right. I just dont want to be replacing a cable if not needed.

Cusefan78
06-15-2014, 01:22 PM
If it turns with no load it's not The cable you may have a rudder needing grease but it's not the back
Cable. Depending on the prop rotation it's suppose to be tight to one side. It's the prop wash phrasing against the rudder and as I said before it's there to help keep your boat tracking straight. I have heard you can file a edge of the rudder to make it easier to turn but I'm not sure which side to do.

jzelt
06-16-2014, 11:10 AM
I agree with everyone else, but I don't believe the file is to make it turn easier, it would be to help it track straighter.

chris young
06-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Actually filing can make it turn easier to one side. Not sure how it's done though. On aircraft they all have some type of trim tab on the control surfaces just for this reason.

twisterad3
06-24-2014, 08:01 PM
I have a 90 sunsport. It turns fine with no load (trailer or idle). When my rider falls, I find the best thing to do is cut throttle, turn around, go towards the rider, then accelerate. Reasons why:

1. The boat sucks at turning when moving forward
2. I save on gas compared to jamming the throttle to turn around
3. ***most important*** I don't send rollers out in the direction I'll be going once I get my rider!

Just my $.02