PDA

View Full Version : 1990 conbrio transmission

GUY_RPM
03-11-2007, 10:09 PM
I have just bought a 1990 supra conbrio and the weather around here in KY is still kind of cold so i have heard it start and run great but have not had the chance to put it into gear. The previous owner has taken great care of this boat. I was just curious that when the boat is in neutral or park should the prop turn freely. I am not sure if it is like the boat is in neutral or park. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

OUI
03-13-2007, 11:31 AM
It is in neutral and should move freely.

GUY_RPM
03-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks, this boat has been in storage for about a year, I asked a person who used to be a supra dealer and they told me the same thing. He told me that the shaft was probably just stuck to the rubber bushing. He told me to spray just a little wd-40 on the shaft then try it again. After spraying the shaft it turned very freely with very little effort.

IndyMatt
03-17-2007, 09:35 AM
I dont think you were having a problem, dont worry about the resistance in the boot to shaft seal. In fact after you run it next time & the wd40 wears off it will probably be difficult to spin by hand. The boot should be tight to help slow leakage. As the shaft spins, the boot warms and creates the proper seal. While the boat is in the water, inspect the boot (from inside obviously) and look for a leak, should be a drip about every 20 seconds. If its more than this or if your smelling burning rubber after running a while then your jamb nut needs to be reseated, possibly even repacked. The use of lubricants on the boot will cause premature failure over time. Good luck & Enjoy.... Ski ya'