PDA

View Full Version : 86' Sunsport stuffing box / packing question

Norestr
06-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Hello and thanks for all the info from all the threads...

I am working on a 1986 Sunsport for a buddy of mine.

Ford 351 Velvet Drive 1:1 been sitting for 6-7 years... it needs some love but it is getting there.

We are getting close to putting her in the lake for some testing, so I decided to check the packing nut. I think I am missing some parts??
The boat has a new prop shaft and prop - not sure why but it does. Also worth mentioning is the transmission has no neutral (not just a cable adjustment). I have a spare 10-17-004 1:1 we are putting in this week to fix the trans. problem...

see pics of stuffing box:145261452714528

I have a 69 Correct Craft Barracuda and 02 Ski Nautique and the stuffing box looks nothing like this. I think who ever put the shaft in forgot some parts??? Any help would be great. Hoping to have the boat in the water for 4th of July 2014.

Thanks again - Neil

chris young
06-13-2014, 08:39 AM
That's a dripless seal, and it appears all the parts are there from the pictures. I can't see in the picture, but the gray bushing should have a fitting for a hose on it. Look up PSS dripless seal and you should be able to see how it goes together. The bellows clamp to the shaft log and the gray bushing. Then you push the stainless collar up against the bushing and collapse the bellows a specified amount and tighten the collar to the shaft. The bushing and the bellows are stationary and the shaft rotates inside them. The collar is clamped to the shaft and rotates against the face of the bushing.

Hope this helps

Norestr
06-13-2014, 10:06 AM
That's a dripless seal, and it appears all the parts are there from the pictures. I can't see in the picture, but the gray bushing should have a fitting for a hose on it. Look up PSS dripless seal and you should be able to see how it goes together. The bellows clamp to the shaft log and the gray bushing. Then you push the stainless collar up against the bushing and collapse the bellows a specified amount and tighten the collar to the shaft. The bushing and the bellows are stationary and the shaft rotates inside them. The collar is clamped to the shaft and rotates against the face of the bushing.

Hope this helps

Thanks Chris. There is no fitting for a hose - that is why I was a bit confused... I will adjust the collar and see what happens.

thanks again,
Neil