PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Packing Nut Access

jwwalk
06-16-2014, 10:51 AM
After throwing the boat in last night, it looks like the shaft is leaking more than it should. I'm thinking of replacing the shaft packing on my 1989 Conbrio but it seems the packing nut is just behind the dog house and just in front of the rear seat.

Any advice on the easiest way to access the packing nut? It seems as if I should be able to pull the panel between the dog house and the rear seat but I haven't found an easy way to do that. Do I just need to buy some small pipe wrenches and work through the dog house?

Thanks

Cusefan78
06-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Should have a panel that's held down by screws.

Blackntan90
06-17-2014, 05:21 AM
I cut a hole(gasp!) in the rear panel and installed an access plate. With my 100 year old bemis & caul wrenches it is now very easy to inspect and adjust. Before installing the plate, I had to remove the doghouse and then the rear floor section. Hope this helps!

chris young
06-17-2014, 09:11 AM
I had to cut the carpet that the PO put in over the original stuff to find the access panel on mine, but it was there, and as stated above, screwed in place. My packing nut was packed with a couple of strips of indoor outdoor carpet. Sheesh. I mean I can see putting something like that in to get a day on the water but for all that's holy replace it as soon as the boat is back on the trailer.

I too tried to do it with the panel in place, forget about it!