PDA

View Full Version : Krypt HLCD's in Roswell light bar?

Chad Mueller
06-17-2014, 12:17 PM
I searched some past threads and saw some mixed results with putting HLCD's into the Roswell cans. Wondering if there's any other info out there on that? I also saw that the Kicker 6.5 HLCD's are no longer available so Krypt is about the only option out there.

Was also wondering about the best way to swap out 2 of the existing speakers and replace them with the Krypts. Can I just wire them up as is or do I need to do some significant rewiring, swapping of amps, etc.? I've got the 2 amp setup that came as the factory option on my 2012 22 launch.

Or am I better off swapping all 4 towers for HLCD?

Chad

wotan2525
06-17-2014, 04:45 PM
I searched some past threads and saw some mixed results with putting HLCD's into the Roswell cans. Wondering if there's any other info out there on that? I also saw that the Kicker 6.5 HLCD's are no longer available so Krypt is about the only option out there.

Was also wondering about the best way to swap out 2 of the existing speakers and replace them with the Krypts. Can I just wire them up as is or do I need to do some significant rewiring, swapping of amps, etc.? I've got the 2 amp setup that came as the factory option on my 2012 22 launch.

Or am I better off swapping all 4 towers for HLCD?

Chad

You could create a hybrid system but it would be a bitch to tune and you'll for sure want to wire each speaker off it's own amp channel so that you can even have a chance at it.

I'd replace all 4 with HLCDs. I'm partial to the Kicker system, but it's up to you. They don't make them anymore but that just means you can buy them cheap. Hurry -- $220 for this setup. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21913_Kicker-KM6500.2-10KM6500.2.html

Wylietunes
06-17-2014, 06:17 PM
I also saw that the Kicker 6.5 HLCD's are no longer available so Krypt is about the only option out there.

Chad

Where did you get this info from? There is a new part number for the 2014, but the tower speaker setup is still in production with no sign of it coming to an end. Its the KMS67 http://www.kicker.com/KMS67_Tower_System

The Kicker KMS67 is going to be a far more balanced system, with better SQ, especially near field. Larger voice coil means more output and more power handling. The shape of the horn prevents any parallel walls, which equals better sound. This is possible due to the component setup. A traditional Pro-axial HLCD has the horn flare through the center of mid-bass. This makes it tough to eliminate a section of parallel walls. This also yields more mid-bass surface are, over a 6.5" HLCD. The cross-over on the compression driver also has a 6dB boost jumper for more horn output.

If you have a 4 pod setup, I would not recommend installing a pair of HLCDs and wiring them up with the existing coaxial. They will not divide the power evenly and the HLCDs will just dominate the coaxils, making them somewhat ineffective.

Zim
06-18-2014, 02:46 PM
You could create a hybrid system but it would be a bitch to tune and you'll for sure want to wire each speaker off it's own amp channel so that you can even have a chance at it.

I'd replace all 4 with HLCDs. I'm partial to the Kicker system, but it's up to you. They don't make them anymore but that just means you can buy them cheap. Hurry -- $220 for this setup. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21913_Kicker-KM6500.2-10KM6500.2.html

Does this require 4 tower cans?

Wylietunes
06-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Zim,

The Kicker KMS67 (was the KM6500.2) does require 4 pods or holes.

Chad Mueller
06-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Wylietunes,
Thanks for the info. Any idea if the KMS67 drops in to my Roswell cans or will I need to do some mods?

Chad

Wylietunes
06-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Chad,

That is a question that I can not answer for sure. There have been a couple of variations of the Roswell pods over the years, in regards to how the original speaker and grill are attached. I know one version takes some modifying.

docdrs
06-22-2014, 11:05 PM
i did this on my 09 set up. I had to fabricate 2 new mounting arms about $30 with 20 of that for the aluminum welding.

dbatech99
08-09-2014, 10:50 PM
If you find out or do this, please report back, I'm eyeing these for my Roswell cans.

shickman47
09-15-2014, 09:02 AM

Just installed these this weekend, hifonics brutus 1200 4channel amp. Obnoxious loud just how i wanted for all the "bass-tards" on my lake who hate all wakeboats..

jet
02-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Its been done!154871548815489