PDA

View Full Version : Weird noise coming from the rear

Riddell360
06-18-2014, 12:54 AM
Hey fellas, I'm needing a little help identifying a weird noise I heard the other day while unloading my sunsport off of the trailer. It's a 95 with the 5.8 in it. I heard what sounded like a dry seal noise coming from somewhere in the rear when I put it in reverse backing off of the trailer and then again in forward for a second. The noise only lasted a few seconds and then it went away and I didn't hear it for the rest if the day and it drove fine the entire weekend. Anyone have a clue as to what I should start to look for? Any help is appreciated.

Called-N-sick

haugy
06-18-2014, 12:17 PM
"a dry seal"???

Like:

http://m1.i.pbase.com/o6/14/755514/1/75354271.VS3LS3m8.CapeFurSealcfsfemalebarking.jpg

Or like:

http://images.gasgoo.com/MiMwMDRfMDA0IzA4MzM3MDEwMA--/auto-part-fiat-injection-pump-drive-shaft-oil-seal.jpg

If it's the first one, you really need to pay attention where you are backing your boat in. I hear running over a harbor seal is a bad no-no. If you didn't just club a baby seal with your prop face then it may be the seal getting wet once it first hits the water. You may have your packing nut too tight at the driveshaft. It can happen from time to time. See if it does it again. And then on the next time, start the boat and let it sit for a second in the water before you start and go. See if it does it again. It may just take a minute or two to get wet in the seal and lubricate at the shaft.

In short, it's probably nothing, but if you do have your packing nut too tight it can wear out faster and start to let water in at the driveshaft. Have you changed out the packing nut "rope" before? It could be worn out.

Also, is the noise coming from the back of the engine or from under the boat? If it's at the engine, check and make sure your tranny fluid is good and at the right amount. Low tranny fluid can make a really odd noise as well.

Riddell360
06-18-2014, 04:15 PM
I will definitely give those suggestions a try. This is my first direct drive boat and I'm still learning the basics on it. Thanks

Called-N-sick

garyholl
06-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Haugy, that post was hilarious! Where do you come up with this stuff? Riddell, that was the most straight faced response I've seen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Riddell360
06-19-2014, 01:39 AM
Oh, I laughed...it was kinda hard not to!

Called-N-sick

CJD
06-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Bet it was a dry cutlass bearing. You should be alright after it got good and wet.

jzelt
06-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Belt slipping some? (Get it on the truck until it is warm, slight chirp...).

Riddell360
06-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Nah, the belt wasn't slipping at all. I'm sure it didn't help that I fired it up and then put it in the water. I've always done this with my runabouts but I now know that I can't do that with an inboard.

Called-N-sick

haugy
06-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Nah, the belt wasn't slipping at all. I'm sure it didn't help that I fired it up and then put it in the water. I've always done this with my runabouts but I now know that I can't do that with an inboard.
Called-N-sick

Yikes, yeah don't do that anymore. :D

Zim
06-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Called-N-sick

That's not good with runabouts either. How many impellers have you gone through? NEVER EVER EVER start an inboard dry. EVER. In fact, knowing you did that, you should probably check your impeller to make sure you didn't rip any of the veins off of it.

CJD
06-20-2014, 11:23 AM
So, at least we figured out what the squeal was! My last boat was an old Merc I/O. It took 3 hours to replace the impeller. I only started it dry once. When you learn the hard way, you learn for life!

Riddell360
06-20-2014, 03:02 PM
I have yet to ruin an impeller. I would be almost in the water, then I would start it and have my driver back up. I also lucked out when I bought it, the previous owner gave me a brand new Johnson pump, I will check my impeller this weekend just in case. But I now know better....slap on the back side of my hand with a ruler! Cjd that sucks, I had a merc and it took me about that time to change the bellows and bearings, these inboards are way easier to work on....so far.

Called-N-sick