PDA

View Full Version : Issue with new bilge pump on 2005 Launch 21V

Bobcat1804
06-19-2014, 09:20 AM
We just replaced the bilge pump on our 2005 Launch 21V. The new pump is the same make/model as the original equipment. We tested it and everything worked correctly. When we were out surfing last night we noticed that the pump came on fairly early in our trip. It turned out that the quick connect to the empty port of our 800 lb. center ballast had come undone (still not sure how). Water was emptying out to the bilge. For a while, the pump did its job. However, at some point, it stopped working even when in the "on" position. Once we got the boat out of the water and drained some of the water via the plug hole, the bilge kicked on again and began pumping out water. Here's the question: Is it possible for the bilge pump to be "overwhelmed" by too much water and stop working? This seems counterintuitive to the purpose of a bilge pump, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has experienced something similar.

garyholl
06-19-2014, 10:14 AM
I don't think it can be overwhelmed. They are designed to be submerged. But what about the wiring you must have done at install? If it were not water tightit would explain your problem. Once it drained out the plug some, the wiring gets out of the water and viola, it starts working again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

chris young
06-19-2014, 03:10 PM
While I fully agree that all submerged connections should be watertight, in this case, it would not cause a pump to stop working if they weren't. Water is a pretty poor conductor, so it just wouldn't short out the contacts. It could still be a connection issue though. My #1 troubleshooting starting point is to go where the last human hands touched the system.

garyholl
06-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Hoorah, Chris. Just don't pour water on your motherboard.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

CJD
06-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Funny! My son has done that many times to his one computer. Oh, wait, I meant one time to many computers!?!

wotan2525
06-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Could be that the wiring floated up and was disconnected when the water got too high? I've seen it happen before.