PDA

View Full Version : Replacing transmission on 2010 sun sport 22v

guy8121
06-19-2014, 04:31 PM
I have to replace my tranny and was hoping to get some advice. I already have the v-drive unit pulled and the plan is to bring the tranny out through the back seat. I think I have to support the front of the motor because the tranny mounts support it. I was wandering about alignment of the prop shaft and engine on reinstall. Being a vdrive would I use the feeler gauges between the couplers at the prop shaft and vdrive then adjust the tranny/engine mounts accordingly? Also any other advice or heads ups on this job? The vdrive is a walthers, the tyranny is a hurth 45c and the engine is an indmar assault.

CJD
06-19-2014, 05:55 PM
You are correct. The mounts have wedge bolts that hold the shafts. Loosen the wedge bolts on all 4 mounts and move the engine/tranny assembly around till the left and right sides of the prop shaft is aligned with the tranny shaft. Lock the wedge bolts when you are happy. Then, to adjust the up and down, loosen the large nuts on the vertical threaded posts. Turn the posts equally on the left and right side, either front or rear to bring the top and bottom of the shafts into alignment.

You are shooting for .003" max. You should be able to get it right on.

Once in alignment, check the spacing of the prop shaft to the sides of the log...outside of the boat. It is possible to have the shaft aligned, but have the shaft rubbing on the glass inside the log hole.

If you are lucky, it will align that easily. If you hit an adjustment stop and can't go any farther, there is nothing wrong with getting creative with the adjustments till it works out. For example, if you lean the motor to one side, you also move the shaft the opposite way of the lean.

You may have issues with the mounts being corroded and sticking, but on a boat that new you should be fine.

guy8121
06-19-2014, 09:21 PM
You are correct. The mounts have wedge bolts that hold the shafts. Loosen the wedge bolts on all 4 mounts and move the engine/tranny assembly around till the left and right sides of the prop shaft is aligned with the tranny shaft. Lock the wedge bolts when you are happy. Then, to adjust the up and down, loosen the large nuts on the vertical threaded posts. Turn the posts equally on the left and right side, either front or rear to bring the top and bottom of the shafts into alignment.

You are shooting for .003" max. You should be able to get it right on.

Once in alignment, check the spacing of the prop shaft to the sides of the log...outside of the boat. It is possible to have the shaft aligned, but have the shaft rubbing on the glass inside the log hole.

If you are lucky, it will align that easily. If you hit an adjustment stop and can't go any farther, there is nothing wrong with getting creative with the adjustments till it works out. For example, if you lean the motor to one side, you also move the shaft the opposite way of the lean.

You may have issues with the mounts being corroded and sticking, but on a boat that new you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply cjd! Should I be aligning between the vdrive and prop shaft or tranny and vdrive? Can you think of anything else I should pay close attention to doing this job? I'm not a mechanic by any means and don't have a lot of boat experience but I want to do the job myself because I don't trust any shop to do it for me.

CJD
06-20-2014, 08:40 AM
I don't know if there is a way to align the v-drive to the tranny. I haven't had mine apart, but I believe it just bolts up with no way to align anything. I would bet there are locating pins to align them. The prop shaft alignment sounds complicated till you start working on it, and then it all makes sense. The hardest part by far is having to bear hug the v-drive to reach the prop shaft coupling. You can't really see what you are doing, so have to go by feel.