PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft NXT, what do you think???????????

cjtpilot
06-20-2014, 04:23 PM

So what do you think about Mastercrafts new "entry" level boat?

Cusefan78
06-20-2014, 06:21 PM
It's not a supra so it must be a piece of.... Supra or bust!!!!!!!

cjtpilot
06-20-2014, 07:12 PM
It's not a supra so it must be a piece of.... Supra or bust!!!!!!!
LMAO, well this is true

inair
06-20-2014, 09:21 PM
They say it's "only" 50k. A simple $400 a month payment :eek: I guess you just have to decide what your priorities are. For me its college for two starting a year from now. Yikes! No 50k boats for me. I'm guessing that when my Sunsport was new after adding inflation it may have been a similar price.

michael hunter
06-20-2014, 09:30 PM
To me 50k for a 20' boat is not entry level. This has been discussed on Wake World the boat starts at 50k bare bone no trailer. By the time you set it up to be functional and add a trailer its closer to mid 70s.

MDVols
06-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Not a fan, and what's up with the windshield it looks like they gave up. I wonder how much it cost for the rest of it?

Bam! Supra, what's that!

Zim
06-21-2014, 01:35 AM
I really like mastercrafts, and applaud their effort... but they failed. It's a 91" beam.... for "50k". It's not 50k unless you don't buy a trailer, get no sound system, no wakeboard racks, bimini, ballast, etc. If you want a stripped down inboard with the MC build quality, then it is what it is, but I'll take a 50K used MC or other high end brand like Supra or CC and be much happier with the extra space and options.

Their marketing sucks too... they just have Pastrana jumping around in frog costumes on tubes. ITS A FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR (actually 68-70 thousand when loaded up properly) TUBING MACHINE!! WAHOOOOOO!!!!

SquamInboards
06-23-2014, 09:01 AM
I also personally don't like the styling of... the bow, the sides, the tower, the windshield... and that's just from one picture. Of course the colors on that particular one I don't like either, but at least you could change that.

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
06-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Seems like most of the big boy boat makers are still making Ski boats. Would really like to see Supra release a new Comp boat. Hell they were consider the best comp boats from late 80's to late 90's. Lets see a new one!

Jetlink
06-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Seems like most of the big boy boat makers are still making Ski boats. Would really like to see Supra release a new Comp boat. Hell they were consider the best comp boats from late 80's to late 90's. Lets see a new one!

With a bajillion dollar price tag too no doubt...

chris young
06-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Someone has to buy those boats now, so we can buy them in 10 or 20 years.

Actually, now I've looked at the MC page, it's of no use to me, it's not a ski boat.

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
06-23-2014, 06:15 PM
With Supra's price point, I think would be priced good. Obviously built well.

Zim
06-23-2014, 06:49 PM

The comp was and still is a great ski boat and wake. If they came out with a new comp, they'd have some serious competition from the new prostar and the CC as well. Not saying they can't do it, but the market is so small it's probably just not worth it.

The new prostar is pretty rad though. If I actually wanted a boat to ski behind, that'd be the one I'd be after buying brand new. The old 93 hull would be what I'd be after for a used boat. That still has one of the best wakes around.

Cusefan78
06-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Just skied behind a new prostar. Sick boat.

Jetlink
06-23-2014, 09:11 PM
Skiing behind a new Prostar this week trying out a few Radar skis as well.

Tims
06-24-2014, 06:16 AM
I like the concept of the NXT and I hope they do well with it. I wish Mastercraft would apply the same to their ski boat and offer a $30K all day direct drive. That new Prostar is mucho dinero!!

SquamInboards
06-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Actually, now I've looked at the MC page, it's of no use to me, it's not a ski boat.

Can you clarify? The new prostar is most definitely a "ski boat." Not that I'm endorsing it necessarily but I gather that it's an excellent boat to ski behind.

chris young
06-24-2014, 09:02 AM
The Prostar is, the NXT is not.

beat taco
06-24-2014, 12:48 PM
I think the Mojo is a lot more boat for the same or even less money comparably equipped. I like MC boats but to buy such a small boat for that much money is crazy.

Zim
06-24-2014, 12:55 PM
I think the Mojo is a lot more boat for the same or even less money comparably equipped. I like MC boats but to buy such a small boat for that much money is crazy.

5 year warranty, Ilmore powerplant, MC resale... I'd go MC every day of the week if the money was there between those two boats.

beat taco
06-24-2014, 02:50 PM
5 year warranty, Ilmore powerplant, MC resale... I'd go MC every day of the week if the money was there between those two boats.

Interesting points. I'm in the market for a boat in this price range. I have other options besides Moomba but I don't see myself in the Mastercraft dealership for any other reason than he also carries MB's.

5 year warranty is a good point. One reason I would strongly go with Moomba over any other brand is Rick Tinker. His presence on these forums and willingness to step in and help "average joes" like myself is second to none. I truly believe I'm in good hands if I buy a boat from Rick. Also if I buy insurance from boaters insurance (I think that's the company) I can get the factory 5 warranty from indmar on the engine.

Resale on a mastercraft. Well I watch the used boat market pretty closely and don't think any of the top five or even six wake boat manufactures are getting hammered on resale. If you take really good care of your boat it will bring good money down the road. A 2008 OBV Moomba still brings around 30k if well kept, they were selling at around $38k in 2008. My last boat was a Centurion I had for 14 years and sold it for 4k less than I bought it. Not to say I didn't put money into upgrades over the years. Being a smart buyer outweighs what brand you purchase in my opinion.

As for Ilmor vs. Indmar, don't know that that carries much weight with me. My '91 indmar never gave me any trouble nor has my 2000. I'm not sure if the power ratings have changed but in 2012 indmar had the slight edge on HP (5.7's). I know the Ilmor is a slick piece, I do all the maintenance on my neighbors 2012 X25, as I do on my 2000 Supra. Seeing as how both are relatively easy to maintain and reliable I'm not sure it makes a difference. How is one better? The ilmor does sound better IMO, I like the throaty sound!

Then there's my real issue with the NXT, how can I get out of my 22' Supra, pay three times as much, and buy a smaller boat? I have a family and need the room. There is no way I can downsize. Sitting in a Mojo is the biggest selling point to me. It has a huge cabin even compared to other 22.5' boats.

Will the NXT line succeed? I believe so as even my neighbors X25 is almost 20k more expensive to buy new today over when he got it. Mastercraft will need a budget line in the 70-90k range and I'm sure they will bring bigger NXT's to market. I think this first boat isn't the answer but from the company standpoint a step in the right direction.

Zim
06-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Yeah I agree with a lot of your points. It doesn't sound like you're the target consumer. You do your own work on your boats, understand how they work, etc. For the guy just getting into the sport and wants something he can take his wife and couple kids out on during the weekend, and recognizes the MC brand for what they are, that guy's the target market. They're giving something that will essentially get them into the MC brand in hopes that 5 years down the line they end up purchasing one of their X series boats.

I completely agree, the boats too small. That's my main gripe with it. Other than that, it's a pretty good value, but at that size I'd rather pick up one of the many variations of the 205V hull and have something for 1/3 or less of the price. But I do my own work too... so I don't need a warranty.

Just depends on the buyer I suppose.

MJHKnox
06-25-2014, 10:11 PM
I agree. It's a marketing effort to get people into the MC brand. For the fist time boater or wake-person, wanting to get into boating, wake-boat, $50-65K, not looking for a used boat to work on, and like the safety of the warranty.

If they get a new segment of people into the MC brand, in 3-5 years, they might trade up to the next level MC boat. Face it, most people that start boating, if they like it, they buy bigger boats. MC has very good brand loyalty. All my friends that own them and would buy another.

So the 'extras' get them to $60Kish. That probably gets a new wake-person on the lake in our sport. . . . in a new MC.

If MC can make it work (profitable), all the POWER to them. I'm jealous. I've owned boats for 20 years, never had a new one, probably never will. Because of the boats I want and have bought are too expensive brand new. I also fear the depreciation hit.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blackntan90
06-28-2014, 08:48 PM
I don't like it myself, but that is subjective. I do like some parts of the new supra's, and some parts I am not crazy about. Again subjective. I like that my 24 year old boat is like a vintage car, sure it will always need some upkeep and repair- but the styling...love it (again subjective). I get so many comments on how she looks, and when I tell them how old she is they can't believe it. Something about old boats that had great, timeless styling.

cjtpilot
06-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Well I see MC is still completely out of touch with its customer base and what a "base" boat people can afford.

michael hunter
06-30-2014, 09:52 PM
Does that say 83k?

cjtpilot
07-01-2014, 07:25 AM
You read that correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kma4444
07-01-2014, 11:55 AM
If that's the case then I'll stick with our "Entry Level" 242!!!!!!!!!!!!