PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Leak

td in nc
06-21-2014, 05:44 PM
I had my boat out this week (2000 Supra Launch DD) and it was leaking some serious transmission fluid. We were at the lake for the week and I went through 1.5 quarts of fluid. I checked it regularly as to avoid running too low and I did not notice any slipping. I replaced the cooler before vacation as I was only losing a little fluid and did not notice it the bilge -I was hoping this was the problem but after this week I realize it was not this issue. Now there is a lot in the bilge. I am thinking it is the front seal between the motor and the tranny. After reading up on this it sounds like there may be an issue with the pump which is causing the leaking seal. At this point I am not sure if I should replace the seals or have the tranny rebuilt.

Any advice would be appreciated.

lively
07-01-2014, 12:47 PM
What style trans do you have . Model num?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

td in nc
07-01-2014, 07:40 PM
What style trans do you have . Model num?

It is a Hurth 450 D. The rear seal shows no signs of leaking and the transmission does not appear to be slipping. Just have to check the gas and fill the tranny fluid.

lively
07-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Well if you wipe the bottom of the bell housing with your hand are you getting any fluid ?

td in nc
07-02-2014, 06:28 AM
I find fluid on the bottom of the transmission. Have not found any on the bell housing.

lively
07-02-2014, 01:09 PM
We'll wipe it clean with simple green and start over . If it is a leak then run it on the hose at the house and put a piece of cardboard under the trans to find out if it's front or back . Then keep it clean till you find a drip !

td in nc
07-25-2014, 07:55 AM
I was wondering if any has used some the transmission stop leak fluids before. I am planning on taking the tranny off and replacing the seals at the end of the season, but was wondering if some type of stop leak may at least slow the fluid loss until I repair it. My only concern is gumming up or messing up something, any thoughts?

Thanks

Cusefan78
07-25-2014, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't do that.

lively
07-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Pretty much what he said guy ! This trans is just a pump . Works by pressure . Don't put anything besides dex 3-5 . We all are lazy at some point . But when it comes to my boat. ! I'm all in !

td in nc
07-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Not trying to be cheap I just hate to take the boat out of commission to send the tranny off. (once I have it off I am planning on sending to a shop and having it checked and serviced. I have been trying to hunt down a leak on my transmission andtoday I added some uv dye to see if I could pinpoint the location. After running it today I got it home and put the uv light on it. The only location I could find where I saw UV dye is where the starter attaches to the bell housing of the tranny. The PO told me he had replaced the starter shortly before I bought it. Looking at how the starter attaches at that location there is a gap which is open. I tried to take a pic but it was getting too dark.

Does it make sense that there would be fluid leaking near the starter and is there typically an area which is not covered where the starter attaches to the bell housing? Wondering if it is the wrong starter?

Thanks14786

kevkev
07-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Your front shaft seal is leaking

td in nc
07-26-2014, 12:07 PM
I am not in the process of taking the Hurth 450D out and have removed the engine mounts, swung them away from the tranny, and removed the 4 bolts holding the transmission to the bell housing. I was thinking that the tranny would slide off at this point but it is not budging. Boat is 2000 Launch DD

Any suggestions or things that I may have overlooked?

kevkev
07-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Did you support the rear end of the engine after you removed the mounts? Mine took a little wiggling and negotiating to remove.

td in nc
07-26-2014, 12:21 PM
I did support the engine, used Haugy's instructions on another thread. It just does not seem to move. I was thinking of removing bell housing, then seperating out of the boat. You were able to just remove the tranny with the 4 bolts, without removing bellhousing?

thanks for your help!

kevkev
07-26-2014, 12:22 PM
I removed the bell housing

td in nc
07-26-2014, 12:24 PM
I will do that then

td in nc
07-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Did you remove your starter?

kevkev
07-26-2014, 01:08 PM
No. 10 characters

td in nc
07-26-2014, 01:10 PM
Not sure what you mean by No. 10 charcters

kevkev
07-26-2014, 01:11 PM
The minimum response to reply is 10 characters.

td in nc
07-26-2014, 01:14 PM
The minimum response to reply is 10 characters.

Okay I have all the bolts of the bell housing, and was wondering if you removed your starter?

kevkev
07-26-2014, 01:16 PM
I said no originally, but now that I think about it I'm not real sure. It was a few years ago

td in nc
07-26-2014, 04:47 PM
I am at a stalemate and need some help. I removed the bell housing connections, starter and bell housing backing plate. I can slide the transmission and bellhousing about 3/4" from the engine. But it will not budge beyond that point. What am I missing here, or do I just need more force (I have been applying alot)?

kevkev
07-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Can you post pics?

td in nc
07-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Here is one where you can see the gap.14787

lively
07-27-2014, 02:37 AM
Make sure to get your self a inspection cover when you go back together . I'd does not seem to be on there from the pic you provided

Cusefan78
07-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Did you disconnect the tranny lines and sensor. That may be holding it up. Other then that it should slide right out.also make sure you have plenty of room between the tranny and drive shaft. I'm pretty sure I had to slide the driveshaft all the way to the nut.

td in nc
07-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Did you disconnect the tranny lines and sensor. That may be holding it up. Other then that it should slide right out.also make sure you have plenty of room between the tranny and drive shaft. I'm pretty sure I had to slide the driveshaft all the way to the nut.

The tranny lines are still connected to but there is enough slack. The other wires are disconnected. The tranny oil pump is still attached, is there something inside of the tranny from of these which I need to remove?

I have tried just about everything I know, I am able to wiggle the about 1/2 gap at bell housing where it attaches to the engine and I then tried reattaching the bell housing to the engine and was able to get about the same at the joint between the bell housing and transmission.

I am been trying everything - with a lot of wiggling, prying, lifting, etc. I am still not able to get it lose. We have sprayed PB blaster were we think the connection should be, just not enough gap to make sure were are getting in the right place.

I am thinking the spline is stuck where it attaches to the damper plate.

Lively - I removed the shield on the underside of the motor, so I have one, but it already disconnected

Cusefan78
07-27-2014, 03:31 PM
Pull those lines. That's not helping. Then try to give it a little tilt to make sure it's not binding

lively
07-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Make sure the dowl pins are lined up correctly and you should be able to lift and turn the output shaft to align