PDA

View Full Version : V drive and Tranny Fluid

Meyeronfire
06-22-2014, 12:45 AM
Hey everyone, Getting around to changing my V drive and tranny fluid on my 03 Launch SSV. Any tips or suggestions you have? Seems pretty straight forward just didnt want to miss anything. Thanks in advance!

CornRickey
06-22-2014, 01:37 AM
I used Amsoil. They recommended a specific compressor oil for the vdrive. It's clear, weird.

CJD
06-22-2014, 10:52 AM
V-drive has a plug and is a no-brainer. The Hurth has a plate with 2 bolts, a rubber disc and a screen. You have to work by feel on that one.

I use doubled trash bags to catch the fluid. It works, but not very elegant. I'd love to hear if you come up with a better oil catcher.

Also, has anybody found a source for the tranny rubber sealing disc? It's reusable, but I'd prefer to have a spare on hand for the time it finally gives out. I can't find it anywhere.

cigars n scotch
06-22-2014, 01:02 PM
If you have one the job is much easier using an oil extractor like the Mityvac. Just suck it out and refill per your manual.

CJD
06-22-2014, 02:50 PM
If you have one the job is much easier using an oil extractor like the Mityvac. Just suck it out and refill per your manual.

I have done that...its definitely quicker and easier, but it doesn't clean the filter screen or remove any crud that settled to the bottom of the case.

Meyeronfire
06-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone, A couple of dumb questions I have. On the V Drive where the oil dipstick is, is this where you refill also? And does anyone have a photo of the rubber disc and 2 bolts that way I know exactly what Im looking at. Thanks again!

Meyeronfire
06-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Oh and I do have an extractor, Im assuming I can use that for both the tranny and V Drive?

Meyeronfire
06-22-2014, 05:41 PM
And the tranny takes 1.5 quarts and the V Drive 1 quart or do I have that backwards.

docdrs
06-22-2014, 10:58 PM
fill to the top line on the dipsticks

cigars n scotch
06-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Oh and I do have an extractor, Im assuming I can use that for both the tranny and V Drive?

Yes I use it for all fluid changes.

CJD, I'd like a pic of this also.