PDA

View Full Version : Deck Repair

kjcarey
06-26-2014, 01:28 PM
14606Hello Folks...I am brand new to this forum,

Just purchased an 89 Saltaire with a total of 18-hrs on the boat, it is in "like-new" condition. However, after bringing her home and a short jont on the river, I discovered a soft spot on the deck just at the base of the passenger seat. I pulled slightly to adjust the seat and the screws on the front of the base came loose. I haven't done a thing yet, but wanted to get feedback from an experienced group here. The boat has never been outside, always stored indoors and covered....I am really scratching my head as to how this "soft spot" occurred. Any suggestions on the best way to proceed would be much appreciated.

Thanks.....Ken

wotan2525
06-26-2014, 02:25 PM
14606Hello Folks...I am brand new to this forum,

Just purchased an 89 Saltaire with a total of 18-hrs on the boat, it is in "like-new" condition. However, after bringing her home and a short jont on the river, I discovered a soft spot on the deck just at the base of the passenger seat. I pulled slightly to adjust the seat and the screws on the front of the base came loose. I haven't done a thing yet, but wanted to get feedback from an experienced group here. The boat has never been outside, always stored indoors and covered....I am really scratching my head as to how this "soft spot" occurred. Any suggestions on the best way to proceed would be much appreciated.

Thanks.....Ken

WOW! Great looking boat and fresh interior. I'm skeptical, but I don't think Supra ever made an interior like that. At least, not one that I've seen before. It could be custom?

As far as the soft spot, carpet was put away wet, cover was put on and it never had a chance to dry out. Just started finding ways to rot. You've got a few options.

If it's "not bad" and your carpet is in good shape. Get some toggle bolts to really anchor that sucker down. You'll need to drill larger holes in the floor but these suckers will hold it tight as long as your floor isn't mush. Being just a little soft isn't a deal breaker, in my mind.

When it gets more than a little squishy, or it's time for new carpet, or you find other problems -- then it is time to fix it right. This would mean removing the carpet and patching the bad spots in the floor (or replacing completely) with new marine grade wood with properly applied CPES (penetrating epoxy) to waterproof. Then reinstalling carpet and seat base. I personally think that is overkill for what you describe and you may have years of enjoyment with just the cheap/easy toggle bolt fix.

kjcarey
06-26-2014, 02:52 PM
WOW! Great looking boat and fresh interior. I'm skeptical, but I don't think Supra ever made an interior like that. At least, not one that I've seen before. It could be custom?

As far as the soft spot, carpet was put away wet, cover was put on and it never had a chance to dry out. Just started finding ways to rot. You've got a few options.

If it's "not bad" and your carpet is in good shape. Get some toggle bolts to really anchor that sucker down. You'll need to drill larger holes in the floor but these suckers will hold it tight as long as your floor isn't mush. Being just a little soft isn't a deal breaker, in my mind.

When it gets more than a little squishy, or it's time for new carpet, or you find other problems -- then it is time to fix it right. This would mean removing the carpet and patching the bad spots in the floor (or replacing completely) with new marine grade wood with properly applied CPES (penetrating epoxy) to waterproof. Then reinstalling carpet and seat base. I personally think that is overkill for what you describe and you may have years of enjoyment with just the cheap/easy toggle bolt fix.

Thanks much...I was immediately thinking of pulling up carpet, cutting out soft spot and replacing decking..but you bring up some excellent options, the carpet is in like-new condition....so I think your bolt suggestion is a winner....thanks again....

SquamInboards
06-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Holy s&%t that's the pink Saltare from this thread (https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?16343-Help-Identify-Boat-Model/page2). Scroll down a little, it's there.

I guess it's not surprising that a) it sold and b)it's now here on the forum (again).

Congrats on the new boat! It has to be the least-used '89 Supra on Earth.

kjcarey
06-26-2014, 06:29 PM
You're right.....this is the one. I couldn't believe a boat this age had so few hours. But...took her out and she runs like a watch, only investment so far was the battery and it was 13-years old, I'm surprised it even started...but it did. With the exception of the soft spot on the deck, everything looks and functions as new. Now I just have to get used to owning a "pink" boat....but it's growing on me already and my daughter says fuschia is coming back.....

SquamInboards
06-27-2014, 02:51 PM
Great to hear it runs so well! Forgive my skepticism on the "originality" of that boat, but as others pointed out in the other thread, the interior has been modified from any stock boat that any of us are aware of. From the vinyl design to the seat configuration, it's been customized for sure. That and the graphics aren't original on the sides, or the transom.

All this begs the question, why was so much work done on a boat that was supposedly kept indoors all the time? Did the seller have any insight on that?

Don't get me wrong. Mechanically, you have an *excellent* boat. And everything looks basically new, regardless of whether it's factory. So you'll get a lot of years of enjoyment out of this boat, no matter how you slice it. And for WAY less than anything really new. I'm just curious about some of the details.

foxriverat
06-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately these old wood supras were prone to water seeping in and rotting stringers and floor. Do a search here on stringer repair. And you will find tons of rebuilds. Hopefully with only 18 hours yours isnt bad.

Zim
06-28-2014, 11:53 PM
Can't imagine a stringer repair is needed with only 18 hours, especially with the condition of that boat. Congrats on the new boat... you're "The Pink Guy" on the lake to everyone else now haha... EMBRACE IT!!! :)

92SupraComp
06-29-2014, 12:20 AM
Just be careful of the "18" hours... Remember all it takes is 5 seconds and one small tug to stop that hour meter ticking... Its like the late 90's Fords with the plastic Odometer drive gears, many wore out way before 100K miles... My uncle has several friends who demand that he NOT fix the issue, they will have him fix when its time sell though, that way, someone is getting a "GREAT" deal on 1997 Ford whatever that only has 90,000 miles but really 200,000 miles! So if my uncle has friends like that, think about how many other people in this world do that...

Sorry, but some times I can trust people but then I see what kind people make the population and I lose all trust. I don't trust any ad what so ever. My uncle looked at 6+ cars for me in FL. All of them, "Yeah its in great shape" But had many problems, most were small, but there and it wasn't in great shape... A college kid told me about how well taken care of his 1998 Mountaineer was. My uncle got there, it was extremely low on coolant, had an obvious coolant leak, the hood struts were shot (he hid the prop rod when he took a pic of the motor...) all the buttons in the interior were melted from the heat, radio was dead, ALL of the ball joints were SHOT, etc etc... but the week prior, non stop he praised it...

I do hope however that you did get a sweat deal on the Supra! Idk, but the angled pic of side in your driveway, it looks pretty cool to me.. One of a kind... But is it really *that* bright when its in the sun?? Anyways, best of luck, keep us updated! We are finally getting summer underway on the 4th of July weekend (summers halfway gone already! :( )

kjcarey
06-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Very good catch on those decals, I actually added the supra name badge on the sides and transom, so when I bought it it only had the wave on starboard and port. Very good comments gentlemen....I very much appreciate your insights and for this group I guess I can live with being the pink guy.....after all, I am NOW the guy with the pink boat. But that's OK, if anybody asks, I tell them it is not pink, officially the color is called Fuschea ....ok I better learn how to spell it as well....