PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone on this forum in their mid-40s plus?

garyholl
06-26-2014, 08:45 PM
With the jam coming up and all this talk about getting together, it has me wondering if anyone there would even be my age?
I surf and wakeboard but my 13 and 14yos get the most "youth" out of my Supra. What about y'all?

gogger
06-27-2014, 12:35 AM
Well I am 50 but I doubt that you are coming to the Southern reunion. My 21 year old daughter won't even go out on the boat with us. Mainly the wife and I, and some buddies that are in their 20s that like to wakeboard.

Jetlink
06-27-2014, 01:06 AM
I think he's talking about the one that happens in the "Great Republic of Texas."

garyholl
06-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Jetlink, was it the "y'all" that gave it away?
I can't actually make the Texas party this weekend but I was thinking if I were to go, what it would be like there.
We've had boats all our lives so it's old news to us but I find most of the 20 yo's that want to go don't want to chip in for gas!:)

tg0824SSVGG
06-27-2014, 04:59 PM
53 here - our kids and grandkids (9 of them) still love to go with us. Heading to Lake Powell tomorrow with some of them.

Rarely surf, some of the kids wakeboard, I ski on 2 skis - but my wife is a competitive hydrofoiler (think Sky Ski, Air Chair, etc).

Most of the time the boat is used for 'foiling - or just goofing around - heck, we even fish out of it sometimes!

garyholl
06-27-2014, 05:13 PM
Nice! We were on Lake Powell last week. If you live out there I don't guess I'll run into you on any Texas lakes...

2500HD
06-27-2014, 07:53 PM
powell is low right now, i was there last week as well. end of the escalante. lots of debris from the run off but fun as hell.

haugy
06-27-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm knocking on 60+. Youngins.

garyholl
06-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Dang, grandpa!

Jetlink
06-27-2014, 11:30 PM
I'm knocking on 60+. Youngins.

Oh really now? I guess it fits the mold for someone who gets upset when a classic Supra gets all chopped and messed up by the younger generations. "Dang kids, quit screwing up them Supras!"

Zim
06-28-2014, 09:02 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Owxi9.gif

Hagman
06-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Oh really now? I guess it fits the mold for someone who gets upset when a classic Supra gets all chopped and messed up by the younger generations. "Dang kids, quit screwing up them Supras!"

Ya I’m knocking on 60 this year. Water sports and boats have changed a lot in my day. Wake boards, Wake surfing, Towers and boats made to have a big wake what the heck? And you guys talking about Lake Powel do you have any idea how much that hurts the rest of us. At least you could have posted pictures.

garyholl
06-28-2014, 11:48 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/28/vupabe4u.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/28/e8una4yq.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/28/tymyra8y.jpg

As requested!

garyholl
06-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Btw, that's not a Supra, I had to rent a Baja since I'm from Texas!

Hagman
06-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Ahhh Thanks

Moor
06-28-2014, 03:37 PM
34 years young here, but unfortunately im no where near any supra meets...

Blackntan90
06-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Upper 40's here. The get off my lawn bit had me laughing out loud!!! That is funny!! Sorry I will not be able to make the southern reunion. Seems Haugy and I would get along quite well.

blackout_58
06-28-2014, 09:22 PM
29 here, but can't make it to the jam either, kid on the way. Maybe next year when I turn 30 :)

haugy
06-30-2014, 09:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Owxi9.gif

:D

Zim, you have no idea how many people tell me that is me right there.

Aw come'on Black&Tan, Maryland is close to the South. :)

crystal waters
06-30-2014, 11:23 AM
:D

Zim, you have no idea how many people tell me that is me right there.

Aw come'on Black&Tan, Maryland is close to the South. :)

Just passed 65 this year!
Been vacationing and boating on our lake since the age of 6.
Now live on it year round.
Met my wife on the lake one day years ago when I was 18.
Avid water sports fan until bad knees took me out!
Now teaching the grand kids .
Supra owner since age of 41.

trayson
06-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Supra owner since age of 41.

Me too!

And I am now 42.

jasun
06-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Supra Owner since the age of 31.... now Im 33!

cadunkle
06-30-2014, 10:04 PM
I'm 60 at heart. :cool: Closer to half that in real life, born in the wrong generation. I'm a purist with most things, prefer a original or close to it restoration. Won't own anything fuel injected, no power accessories, if the vehicle has kick panel vents and smokers windows it passes the first criteria. The other criteria include manual steering, brakes, and transmission... Don't want or need any new fangled technology.

garyholl
07-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Cadunkle, wtf? Modern horsepower just destroys old timey power. Digital music can be amplified way beyond the old analog stuff. Modern medicine any day over leeches. Liberal politics way better than conservative. Wait, got off track there. (I'm republican, so just kidding.)
For me, I can't tune a carburetor so I rely on fuel injection. I love traction control so I can put 500 horsepower to the pavement instead of fighting back end drift. V drive over direct drive any day to keep all the bikinis up at the front of the boat where I can see them. (Hope my wife never gets on this forum)
But...
AC/DC, VAN HALEN, etc... The music is without question a throw back for me!

Moor
07-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Cadunkle, wtf? Modern horsepower just destroys old timey power. Digital music can be amplified way beyond the old analog stuff. Modern medicine any day over leeches. Liberal politics way better than conservative. Wait, got off track there. (I'm republican, so just kidding.)
For me, I can't tune a carburetor so I rely on fuel injection. I love traction control so I can put 500 horsepower to the pavement instead of fighting back end drift. V drive over direct drive any day to keep all the bikinis up at the front of the boat where I can see them. (Hope my wife never gets on this forum)
But...
AC/DC, VAN HALEN, etc... The music is without question a throw back for me!

traction control? i turn that on for my GF. Digital music is kind of flat and dead sounding, nothing like the warm scratch of a record player. Vdrives are better if you make lawyers wages, but for the rest of us the DD works just fine (and they sound better too). When your EFI module smokes it's self ill be riding (or boating) off into the sunset with my carbs. If they act up its nothing a few mins of tinkering can't fix (if you know what your doing). and whats so wrong with a little 5150 on a sunny day??? Im with you cadunkle... Not real impressed by most of the new technology

2500HD
07-02-2014, 07:12 PM
43 at least for 8 more days.
If you love nothing but the old your missing out and if you love nothing but the new your missing out. Gotta embrace both. And 5150......booring give me ride the lightning any day followed by whiplash!

cadunkle
07-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Well at least I'm not the only one. ;)

But to tackle the list... Modern horsepower? I think that's just off base. Cost a fortune, not as reliable, and there simple isn't as much power. Not many vehicle these days are available with any significant displacement. Car engines are getting real tiny and boats are mostly SBC. BBF is pretty easy to be in the 600-700 HP range with factory block/crank/heads at much lower cost than a new anything, and at big boy HP levels your small block is no longer reliable in the long term. I also do not like the added cost and complexity of overhead cams. On something like a 427 SOHC, yeah there's a cool factor but I think a 460 based engine is more practical for cheap reliable HP.

Electronic fuel injection is not cheap or reliable. I had one of those once and it was the only vehicle I ever had that wouldn't start below freezing without starting fluid or gas down the intake. Fuel injection also comes with emissions nonsense and I don't want or need that. It's just added cost and complexity that reduces fuel economy. Can't tell you how many vehicles I seen stranded because a sensor broke but the engine is mechanically healthy and would otherwise run fine. I can't miss work because of that and I won't be stuck on my boat in a shipping channel because of it.

I am the traction control. I do not like anything that detaches me from the vehicle or limits sensory feedback. Power steering, brakes, automatic transmissions, drive by wire, ABS, etc. I won't have any of that expensive nonsense that prevents me from driving skillfully. If I wanted that stuff I'd just take a cab. OK... Tow pig has power steering and brakes, so I do concede that as somewhat a necessary evil for lifted trucks with large tires.

Vdrive? That's nothing new. Vdrives made in the 60s and the vdrives made today are very simple mechanical boxes just like back then.

I like my stuff simple and reliable, and of course the sexy styling of classic cars and boats is easy on the eyes unlike all the new bubbly cookie cutter me too styling of newer stuff. For luxuries like radio/music/whatever sure I have a fancy transistorized radio that can play MP3, but when it breaks it doesn't mean the boat won't start.

Zim
07-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Well at least I'm not the only one. ;)

But to tackle the list... Modern horsepower? I think that's just off base. Cost a fortune, not as reliable, and there simple isn't as much power. Not many vehicle these days are available with any significant displacement. Car engines are getting real tiny and boats are mostly SBC. BBF is pretty easy to be in the 600-700 HP range with factory block/crank/heads at much lower cost than a new anything, and at big boy HP levels your small block is no longer reliable in the long term. I also do not like the added cost and complexity of overhead cams. On something like a 427 SOHC, yeah there's a cool factor but I think a 460 based engine is more practical for cheap reliable HP.

Electronic fuel injection is not cheap or reliable. I had one of those once and it was the only vehicle I ever had that wouldn't start below freezing without starting fluid or gas down the intake. Fuel injection also comes with emissions nonsense and I don't want or need that. It's just added cost and complexity that reduces fuel economy. Can't tell you how many vehicles I seen stranded because a sensor broke but the engine is mechanically healthy and would otherwise run fine. I can't miss work because of that and I won't be stuck on my boat in a shipping channel because of it.

I am the traction control. I do not like anything that detaches me from the vehicle or limits sensory feedback. Power steering, brakes, automatic transmissions, drive by wire, ABS, etc. I won't have any of that expensive nonsense that prevents me from driving skillfully. If I wanted that stuff I'd just take a cab. OK... Tow pig has power steering and brakes, so I do concede that as somewhat a necessary evil for lifted trucks with large tires.

Vdrive? That's nothing new. Vdrives made in the 60s and the vdrives made today are very simple mechanical boxes just like back then.

I like my stuff simple and reliable, and of course the sexy styling of classic cars and boats is easy on the eyes unlike all the new bubbly cookie cutter me too styling of newer stuff. For luxuries like radio/music/whatever sure I have a fancy transistorized radio that can play MP3, but when it breaks it doesn't mean the boat won't start.

Wow, you must have some bad luck.

I've had nothing but fuel injected vehicles and have never had a single problem with EFI. Do sensors go bad? Yes. That's why you plug a diagnostic code reader and figure out where to pinpoint the problem, fix it, and get back on the road. Really isn't difficult...

I've also never had a problem starting a FI vehicle.... ever. I've lived in Iowa and Kansas for most of my life, and between those two states the winters are anything but warm. If I've ever had a starting problem, it's been because my battery sucks.

As for boats, I've had carb'd boats, and now have a FI boat. I'll take the FI boat every day of the week. I don't have to tinker with idle/air mixture screws to get a perfect idle, I don't have to worry about my carb gunking up or getting a tiny piece of debris between the needle and seat, I don't have to worry about hot starts, cold starts, and hoping it starts. A carb is an antique these days, fuel injection is the future and won't be going away. It gives perfect results every time, and if it's not perfect it's very easy to pinpoint where a problem is. With a carb, a rich condition could be about 70 different things, adjustments, etc. Elevation changes affect them, humidity affects them, heat affects them... really EVERYTHING. I'll take the consistency of a FI motor all day long.

Man, you really are a 60 year old! haha

Jetlink
07-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Electric starters are for suckers, I prefer to hand crank all my internal combustion engines.

Zim
07-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Electric starters are for suckers, I prefer to hand crank all my internal combustion engines.

I just prefer animals to be my propulsion. I hook my hull up to some dolphins and crack a whip to get them to haul me around the lake.

cadunkle
07-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Elevation changes affect them, humidity affects them, heat affects them... really EVERYTHING. I'll take the consistency of a FI motor all day long.

Man, you really are a 60 year old! haha

I haven't found this to be the case, it takes some really drastic changes in environment to run differently. Biggest thing is just clean air and fuel. Back in my off roading days before I got serious about sealing up my carb I'd occasionally have issues with dust or dirt getting in the air bleeds. Nothing a quick shot down the air bleeds with carb cleaner doesn't fix though. Water intrusion was sometimes a problem when dipping the hood under though.

FWIW I also converted my car and truck from electric choke to manual choke. Electric can stay on too long or come off too fast depending on temperature, and will always be choked if the engine sat a while even if no choke is required. Manual choke fixes that variability with a carb. Never ran one on a car until I had a '63 Falcon which came with manual choke, I really liked it because it just plain worked where electric was always good enough to start and run well but not dialed in exactly. I will say that thermostatic chokes off a heat tube on the exhaust and heater hose ran against them always worked best for me as they react quicte closely to engine temp vs electric choke which is more or less just a timer.

One of my friends hand cranks his Model T all summer long. Seriously. But screw hand crank, pony motor is where it's at for us lazy folk, or just always park on a hill. :o In all seriousness keeping it simple has saved me a time or two push starting or using the generator to crank it over when the starter failed. On my trucks keeping it simple has meant they work fine underwater, whereas I can't count the number of EFI trucks I've towed out of the woods after they get wet. When roads flood I don't sweat driving through, my trucks just plain work. Also, my bike is kick start. :D

cadunkle
07-03-2014, 08:24 PM
To get back on topic though I know a few guys in the 40-50 range who ride. Most of my riding buddies are in the 25-35 range though.

HIFLYR
07-03-2014, 11:13 PM
51 for me for you guys against FI and such man up and get a wood boat and then we can talk!

SquamInboards
07-07-2014, 09:30 AM
33 here, and I've had my boat since I was 24. When I got it I was single, never really did more than my own oil changes, and knew nothing about inboards except how great they are on a lake. I've since learned every inch of my boat, its accessories, and the engine; replaced, then rebuilt the engine (a machine shop did the internal work), and put almost 1,000 hours on its clock. It carried me to my wedding, and it's been driven now by my son, soon to be joined by a sibling. Never saw that coming when I first got this boat. But I really have an attachment to it now, and I don't see selling it any time soon. Unless someone drops off a 1998 Sport Nautique or Super Sport in my yard for free. Or maybe a Paragon. That's about it.

trayson
07-07-2014, 01:14 PM
I haven't found this to be the case, it takes some really drastic changes in environment to run differently. Biggest thing is just clean air and fuel. Back in my off roading days before I got serious about sealing up my carb I'd occasionally have issues with dust or dirt getting in the air bleeds. Nothing a quick shot down the air bleeds with carb cleaner doesn't fix though. Water intrusion was sometimes a problem when dipping the hood under though.

I'm surprised if you're into serious offroading that you wouldn't embrace FI. I've ran many steep trails with my buddy that had a carb'd 383 stroker and it was downright scary to see his engine stall out when going up the steeper sections and then not want to restart. Honestly a huge safety factor in my opinion. My FI jeeps could stand on end and not have a problem with stalling out like a stupid carb.

My boat also doesn't like the fact that when we sack it out for surfing that the angle of the carb will make it grumpy and we have to give it a bunch of gas to get it started. Annoying as hell. FI will be a requirement in my next boat.

garyholl
07-07-2014, 04:33 PM
I once beat a 440 ci roadrunner with my SRT8 Cherokee. JEEP CHEROKEE!
It was all traction control and all wheel drive. He sat there spinning while I leapt out of the hole. All he could say was "Damn it's loud behind your Jeep."

cadunkle
07-07-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm surprised if you're into serious offroading that you wouldn't embrace FI. I've ran many steep trails with my buddy that had a carb'd 383 stroker and it was downright scary to see his engine stall out when going up the steeper sections and then not want to restart. Honestly a huge safety factor in my opinion. My FI jeeps could stand on end and not have a problem with stalling out like a stupid carb.

My boat also doesn't like the fact that when we sack it out for surfing that the angle of the carb will make it grumpy and we have to give it a bunch of gas to get it started. Annoying as hell. FI will be a requirement in my next boat.

I do see the advantage of fuel injection when wheelin' at steep angles. Here in NJ it's mud trucks. NJ is flat with lots of wetlands so not a lot of steep angles. I've been to a few areas in CT and Mass that were very steep and have had to feather the gas to keep it from stalling at times from flooding... Made me wish I had another foot! I've also been on some surprisingly steep angles (fore/aft not side to side) and have been more concerned with oiling before I had issues with the carb. I will say those were more on the throttle climbing or coasting down in gear and not slow and technical. But yes if you do rock climbing and other steep technical stuff fuel injection would probably be the way to go, but personally I'd go mechanically injected diesel before any sort of EFI.

For your trouble with the boat and surfing I'd try to run a wedge spacer with enough angle to make it closer to level at your normal riding angle. Might take more angle than you can actually get on there but not sure what your current spacer/wedge setup is. There are also intake made with an angle already or you can run a fairly tall dual plane and have it milled to a steeper angle to get you closer to start with.

trayson
07-08-2014, 03:56 PM
I do see the advantage of fuel injection when wheelin' at steep angles. Here in NJ it's mud trucks. NJ is flat with lots of wetlands so not a lot of steep angles. I've been to a few areas in CT and Mass that were very steep and have had to feather the gas to keep it from stalling at times from flooding... Made me wish I had another foot! I've also been on some surprisingly steep angles (fore/aft not side to side) and have been more concerned with oiling before I had issues with the carb. I will say those were more on the throttle climbing or coasting down in gear and not slow and technical. But yes if you do rock climbing and other steep technical stuff fuel injection would probably be the way to go, but personally I'd go mechanically injected diesel before any sort of EFI.

For your trouble with the boat and surfing I'd try to run a wedge spacer with enough angle to make it closer to level at your normal riding angle. Might take more angle than you can actually get on there but not sure what your current spacer/wedge setup is. There are also intake made with an angle already or you can run a fairly tall dual plane and have it milled to a steeper angle to get you closer to start with.

I suppose that would help for fore/aft angle. But side to side, will depend on what side we're surfing at. I will say that adding my own homemade surf blades (like a Nautique Surf System) has made a big difference. So that's nice. But EFI is on the short list of items for someday when I get a V-drive.

cadunkle
07-08-2014, 06:15 PM
I think someone here did a writeup on converting to EFI using a hybrid of 302 Mustang mass air parts along with 351w truck manifold and just changed the wiring around on the harness. I seem to recall he drilled and tapped the risers for the O2 sensor and used some sort of sleeve through the wet portion. Not sure how that's working long term as I'd be worried about reversion and how a small amount of moisture may affect the sensor but seemd like a fairly straightforward conversion, trickiest part being O2 sensor. Might be worth looking at if you're set on EFI.

trayson
07-08-2014, 06:27 PM
I think someone here did a writeup on converting to EFI using a hybrid of 302 Mustang mass air parts along with 351w truck manifold and just changed the wiring around on the harness. I seem to recall he drilled and tapped the risers for the O2 sensor and used some sort of sleeve through the wet portion. Not sure how that's working long term as I'd be worried about reversion and how a small amount of moisture may affect the sensor but seemd like a fairly straightforward conversion, trickiest part being O2 sensor. Might be worth looking at if you're set on EFI.

Good to know it's been done. While I like it, I'm not willing to pay the money for a conversion. I can live with having to put it in neutral and give it some gas to start... At least on this boat. I'll look for it in the next boat though.

Jetlink
07-08-2014, 10:16 PM

Hagman is who I think you're talking about and his conversion was dirt cheap if I recall.

Supra_Comp
07-09-2014, 12:51 PM
26 here, owned my Comp since 21.

^^ The conversion is not that difficult, the O2 sensor would scare me though. I have an '87 5.0 EFI Mustang and those ECU's are incredibly basic and can run with minimal inputs. Converting one would be straight forward. Only major component not from the mustang is a 351W GT40/EFI intake.

92SupraComp
07-09-2014, 09:47 PM
You guys sure are funny!

Me, 18 years old. Been driving my parents (Almost mine) Supra Comp since I could sit in the seat :D

They bought it in 1995 right before they found out about me haha. We are all really attached to this boat, but its too small. So we bought the CC in fall of 2010. The Supra needing a good amount of work sat for 2 years in the barn. (Didn't budge an inch and the cover never moved) 2012 it came out and I completely rewired it. (Holy crap who the hell wired these things???) Started replacing interior a piece at a time. Made the back seat removable like a Stars And Stripes... And other things... The boat is now a sometimes boat. We pull it out of storage for some fun then put it back for a couple of weeks. The CC gets to stay on the lift.

Also, Holley, Edelbrock, MSI, etc. ALL make a $2,000 TBI EFI kit for ANY MOTOR. Just so ya know. It just replaces the Carb sitting on your intake and requires an O2 sensor

garyholl
07-10-2014, 09:30 AM
92Supracomp, you da man!
I re-wired an old motorcycle once when I was a teen that I bought for $500, then re-sold for $1,500. I liked doing the writing so much I ended up working for a wire and connector manufacturer. Now I design wiring for jets, tanks, missiles and radars! Strange trip from that old GPZ550.
It's nice to hear that you don't spend all your time with your face in a screen. God, do I sound old or what?
Show us some pics of your project boat...

Sdc77
07-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Same as Jasun :
Supra Owner since the age of 31 ... now 33 :)

ckracing
07-12-2014, 09:49 PM
41 this week. Had my Sunsport since 37. Lucky enough to spend my later teen years living on a lake (the lake where I live now). Also very lucky that when I was in my late teens, another lake resident was a Supra rep (later on also a Malibu rep). He had had a 1-2 demos every season for all of us to ski behind. Fell in love with the Sunsport skiing behind it in '88 - so I decided to buy one, restore one later in life. It took me a while to get to boats - I road raced (SCCA) for many years and spent lots of miles on motorcycles. Birth of my daughter pushed me to the water (safer, family friendly, lakelife).

tg0824SSVGG
07-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Not only 40+ (50+) - grandbaby number 10 was born yesterday, and my daughter asked me to be there. Wow - the last time I was at a birth, my son (now almost 26 was being born). Awed ... just awed.