PDA

View Full Version : Diving habits, 99 legacy

jw1466
06-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Hey guys, I've got some questions on how y'all with lower freeboard boats handle them on the water. I'm usually on a fairly choppy lake, and I have a hard time getting anywhere relatively quickly without beating the hell out of my boat. On a good day when it's not too crowded and the wind is down, I can cruise around 25 comfortably with some bumps here and there. On others, I have a hard time getting around comfortably any higher than 15, and anyone in the back is soaked. I've been on several calm lakes and rivers with it, and it's awesome, but if a wake from another boat comes up, you have to slow it down quite a bit or you will slam hard. But, I also see low profile boats just flying through water that I'm being conservative in, and I've always wondered what that ride felt like and how the boat stood up to that. I baby my boat and I absolutely HATE coming down hard on a wake. I can just feel all of the hardware backing out. I also like to make a comfortable ride for everyone on board. Am I being too conservative? Are those other boaters beating the hell out of their boats and backs? Is this just something I'll have to deal with? Surely not everyone with a comp takes it out on glass every time. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

michael hunter
06-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Im sorry to say that you pretty much have it correct.You will just have to live with it. Keep in mind your Legacy is made to pull water skiers on smooth water. You can usually find a sweet speed that will give the best ride for the conditions.

Jetlink
06-26-2014, 11:24 PM
18-23MPH is the current sweet spot for speed vs. comfort on my comp, if there is such a thing as a comfortable ride on a Comp in choppy water. I also try and avoid going directly across wakes/waves and try to take them at more of an angle. As Mr. Hunter said though, these boats are made for skiing and I have a very hard time finding myself skiing in the conditions you describe.

jw1466
06-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the reply's! That's what I was afraid of. There's smooth water on the lake where it narrows down that we go to to ski, but it's quite a trip over there from the ramp. Skiing in the middle is out of the question. I try my best to take the wakes at an angle, but sometimes you just cant because of other boaters or being too close to the bank.

Zim
06-27-2014, 07:23 PM
Nature of the beast unfortunately. These boats just weren't designed with rough water comfort in mind. If you have a wake plate it helps cause you can adjust how much of the nose is cutting into the wave for you.

garyholl
06-27-2014, 11:27 PM
You do have to accept that the ride will be bad sometimes. On lake powell last week we suffered on the upwind ride for 23 miles. I just put everyone in the back and went about 20.
Get enough speed to get planed out and and top of the chop then hold on!

crystal waters
06-30-2014, 11:33 AM
I go into what I call tug boat mode!
Get enough speed up to let my bow cut the chop in half if you will and simply push through it rather than over it.
Certainly not at planing speed as I too feel it is too hard on the equipment being banged around .
There was one occasion several years ago where I was caught off guard when a huge storm quickly rolled in with much rain.
Had a comp at the time.
Opened her right up ( which is not my style normally) and she danced across the waves beautifully with little rough bounce happening.
Home in record time safe and sound.
Not all wave conditions may always allow such a feat however!