PDA

View Full Version : 24SSV for surfing?

wakebrdr
07-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Hi guys,

Somewhat new owner of a 24SSV (got it last year) Love all the space and wakeboard wake with all ballast hidden!
But I tore my ACL this winter, so no wakeboarding for me this summer... I'm trying to get into surfing now so I can at least do something while out on the boat...
I tried searching, but couldn't really find much info for weight setup.

What are people using for a weight setup for a nice wave? (I'm regular foot)

Any other tips or modifications?
I'm going on a lake vacation at the end of the month so I'd like to get things dialed in by then.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You!

Kma4444
07-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Not sure if that's the exact hull as our 242 but here's the way we set ours up. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?11462-Another-surf-thread-242-Launch

It's been a great surf boat, wouldn't trade our wake for any others I've seen.

wakebrdr
07-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Not sure if that's the exact hull as our 242 but here's the way we set ours up. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?11462-Another-surf-thread-242-Launch

It's been a great surf boat, wouldn't trade our wake for any others I've seen.

Thanks!

Does anybody have any 24SSV specifics?

I guess I'll just stuff as much weight as I can on the surf side and see how it goes...
(I do have a lot of different ballast bags, so I suppose it won't be too hard to experiment)

Should I be thinking about getting Fresh Air Exhaust too?

KG's Supra24
07-02-2014, 12:31 AM
Ouch on the ACL. As far as the wave ..... Easy .... Swap the rear surfside for an 1100 lb v drive sack. Fill that and the bow all the way up. Play with the speed and we like the wakeplate around half. It will be very easily surfable. We occasionally add some non surf side weight depending on how many people are in the boat.

To take it the next step further, throw an extra sack on the surf-side locker and if you have another take it to the bow. Will want to play with the wakeplate.

Pics because ....

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_0164.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/2012-06-09_14-21-52_41.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_0194-2.jpg

wakebrdr
07-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Thank You Guys, that's exactly the info I'm looking for!
I don't have an 1100lb sac yet (I have a feeling I'll be buying one soon!), but I'll stuff as much as I can in the rear corner as I can to try it out (maybe a sac on top too!)
KG's Supra24: When adding an extra sac to the bow, is it in the middle? or do you position it to the surf side?

Yeah, I'm a bit bummed about the ACL, 2nd time I've torn it now, so I should probably start thinking about taking things down a notch :(
I was so loving the wake on this boat last summer too (been wanting one ever since I went down to WWC camp years ago and rode Trevor Hansen's slammed 24SSV)

KG's Supra24
07-02-2014, 09:47 AM
The boat can def make a great wake.

We just throw the bow bag across the front with the goal of just getting more of the boat in the water. The rear sack should have you leaned over pretty good. I've only done the bow sack a couple times. It's definitely not needed.

Zim
07-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Surfed behind a GG edition 24 many times. 1100lbs in the rear locker, full center sack, and everyone on the surf side of the boat.

wakebrdr
07-02-2014, 12:57 PM
ok, looks like the 1100 is definitely the way to go... I just went ahead and ordered one.
Thanks for your help

wakebrdr
07-03-2014, 11:27 AM
While I'm on a spending spree, should I drop the money on FAE?
Is it really helpful for surfing?

Zim
07-03-2014, 11:53 AM
While I'm on a spending spree, should I drop the money on FAE?
Is it really helpful for surfing?

Up to you on that one. Doesn't help your wave at all, all it does is shoot the exhaust into the water. It helps quiet down the boats engine noise with you behind it, and also pushes the exhaust fumes in the water to decrease CO poisoning. I personally would have no use for one.

wakebrdr
07-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Up to you on that one. Doesn't help your wave at all, all it does is shoot the exhaust into the water. It helps quiet down the boats engine noise with you behind it, and also pushes the exhaust fumes in the water to decrease CO poisoning. I personally would have no use for one.

Hrmmm... are fumes generally an issue surfing?
Making the engine noise quieter is kinda appealing, I guess I need to get the boat out and start surfing and see if I think it'd be worth the money...

Thanks for your help again

Zim
07-03-2014, 12:43 PM
They can be. If you get headaches, they're probably an issue.

KG's Supra24
07-03-2014, 01:42 PM
I've wanted an Fae for a couple years now, just can't justify the cost. We seem to do fine without.

DaFuzz144
02-17-2017, 11:54 AM
Resurrecting this thread... Looking at an 08 24SSV and want to know more about the surf wake, I don't want to have to do a ton to get it to surf... would rather spend a bit more on a boat that is known for surfing then have a real hassle dealing with set up... seem that the suction cup wave devices seem to be working well on many of the boats I am looking at... how about this one..
Thanks for any info..

MJHKnox
02-17-2017, 06:18 PM
There is a little setup on any boat with the speed, weight on each side, and wake-plate. It's not a big deal.

Does this boat have 1100s in the rear lockers? If not, you will need to buy them. $200/per bag.
Does that hull work with a suck-gate? Yes, you can build one or buy one. $30-50 to build/$150-200 to buy

I think the 2008 still has the sprinkler valve system to fill the ballast. Yes, it will work, but it will be slow.
You can upgrade to the Jabsco/Johnson reversible pumps. You can buy this online (wakemakers or other places). Not too hard to install.
I think three zones will cost around $1000-$1500. everything is included in kit - pumps, wires, switches, fuses, valves, ballast hose, ball-valves, sealer, etc.
Great upgrade. I this on my 22' 2007 SSV.

Otherwise, that is a great hull and plenty of room for people onboard. Good storage. Great surf wake. I do not own one, but surfed on that hull.

M-

DaFuzz144
02-17-2017, 08:16 PM
Thanks that is good information, I thought I read something about the ballast pumps.

Docspringfield
05-09-2017, 05:56 PM
Has anyone tried / Installed a Wake Control system from Wakemakers?
I have a 2006 Launch 24 SVV

Docspringfield
05-09-2017, 06:02 PM
Has anyone tried cuttingthe wake plate in half and operating the wakeplate independently right actuator from the left??

kennyk69
05-12-2017, 06:58 AM
Has anyone tried / Installed a Wake Control system from Wakemakers?
I have a 2006 Launch 24 SVV

On my 2009 it wasn't possible. Transom shape was too complex with the curves, the deep shallow step, and minimal distance from hull bottom to underside of platform. I did build a platform mounted HDPE gate that makes a noticeable difference.

Docspringfield
05-15-2017, 06:27 PM
On my 2009 it wasn't possible. Transom shape was too complex with the curves, the deep shallow step, and minimal distance from hull bottom to underside of platform. I did build a platform mounted HDPE gate that makes a noticeable difference.

Do you have pics?

Docspringfield
06-02-2017, 04:35 PM

Do you have any pictures?
What is a HDPE Gate?