PDA

View Full Version : Gear

Bazel
03-22-2007, 04:30 PM
I have been without a boat for 4 years and cannot wait to pick up my 24 Sunsport when the lakes are thawed. I am driving wife crazy by talking about it but I am now thinking about the gear I need. I am not talking about the boards and jackets more along the line of the neccessities. Please help me out by posting any additions I forgot. This will really help.

- CG orange vests (5 pack bag)
- 3 Dock Lines
- 3 Bumpers
- 3 bumper suction cups
- Anchor
- Anchor line and Chain
- First Aid Kit
- Air Horn
- Throw Cushion
- Extendable paddle/dock hook
- Marine Tool Kit
- Extra Prop (how many of you keep this with you on the boat?)
- Prop tool kit (how many of you keep this with you on the boat?)

I appreciate the input.

kewlboarder27
04-14-2007, 01:17 AM
I would get 4 - 6 dock lines and 8 bumpers. The bumpers that conform to the hull are the best imo. That way if you ever tie up with multiple boats you are prepared. I would throw in a paddle or a self propulsion devise. You never know what could happen. I keep the prop kit either in the boat or in the place of residence for example in the truck or in the house or cabin.

H2Oman
04-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Over the years, I have found that things just happen. So I have collected a few extra items I carry in a tool bag in the boat.

- extra ignition key
- jumper cables
- Heavy Duty towrope for towables (I have towed in more boats than I can remember - they didn't have a line that I trusted)
- extra flashlight
- line continuity tester (with light)
- a small jumper wire
- shop rag
- spare accy drive belt
- spare fuse for each disposable fuse the boat uses
- 'Rule' submersible pump w/ adapter for direct to battery connection (yes - sometimes the electronics fail and the bilge pump stops working and you float for a while. This will give you reassurance if you have water coming in from the shaft or some other wet seal.)
- swim goggles (you have to see under water to remove a line from the prop)
- a good 100% stainless steel knife (to cut said line from prop)
- a 12in breaker bar (1/2in drive) with socket for trailer wheels (sometimes they are on really tight!)
- spare water impeller

And if you’re out late at night in a big lake that you are not familiar with:
- handheld GPS
- hand held spotlight
- flairs (hand held popper)

At some point I have actually used everything I listed... Maybe it’s just me? :wink:

1986Marauder
04-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Nice call H2O on the jumper cables. Jumper cables are a must, even if you don't need them someone else on the lake always will.

LKA_SUPRA24SSV
04-15-2007, 09:26 PM
I need to do some shopping as I need a few more items when my boat arrives.

indyeng24
04-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Just a suggestion. Over the years I have found that keeping cables long enough to reach from your battery out of the boat and to a vehicle or even worse another boat can be a pain. I have had more success with the self contained jumpers. Although a little more costly, you don't have to flag someone else down if you run your stereo too long. Plugging the device in every couple of months seems to keep plenty of charge in it.

lowdrag
04-16-2007, 12:15 AM
I don't know what I'd do without the bungee cords I keep in my boat. Some of the best ones I've found were at Walmart. They're pretty long and the length is adjustable on them. I use them for just about everything from strapping bumpers to the boat to rafting onto other boats or just tying off at the dock for short periods of time.

I also keep a roll of shop towels and/or a bag of the white terry cloth rags and a box of Magic erasers to take care of any accidental spills or messes.

Another good investment I made a wally world was to go through the section with all of the plastic tubs and pic out 5 or 6 tubs that will fit in the storage compartments that keep all of the smaller loose items neatly contained and dry.

Another good adition to a basic first aid kit is to get some curlex, compression bandages, or quick clot (only if you know what it is and how to use it correctly). The normal first aid kits will help patch up the small inconvenient wounds that aren't really a big deal. The other things that are cheap additions in case you need to try and keep someone stable should something more serious happen.

Bazel
04-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Thos are some great thoughts, I really appreciate it as I have been out of the boat ownership world for a few years and just getting back into it.

2 Weeks and 2 Days and I will be taking possesion of my baby.