PDA

View Full Version : What type of fuel do you guys use?

Ptownkid
07-01-2014, 07:01 PM
So is everyone using ethanol free and 89 octane or higher?

Cusefan78
07-01-2014, 07:12 PM
I use ethanol free when ever I can get it but mostly 93 octane. In the fall. When I store it I always use ethanol free.

inair
07-01-2014, 07:36 PM
I use ethanol free when possible as well. Its a total rip off but I still use it when I can. A few weeks ago I talked to the guy pumping the fuel into the underground tanks at my local station. He told me that the ethanol that is in the gas is added as he pumps it out of his truck. So essentially, you pay about 50c more per gallon for him to NOT add the alcohol to the gas! What a country!

Jetlink
07-01-2014, 09:05 PM
87 octane in mine with not a single problem. Store it as empty as possible and treat whatever gas remains for the winter layup.

92SupraComp
07-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Us, a whole mix...

87 - with ethanol from in town
89 - with ethanol from in town
89 - treated on the lake $2 more than in town
91 - Ethanol free over $4/gallon from in town
91/93 - Ethanol Free over $5/gallon on the lake...

No difference in how the CC runs as these 351W's are not high compression or running advanced timing...(base timing is only 10*...)

How ever, because of pro-tec in the Supra (it is MISSING the gt40 heads btw) it starts off with a base timing of 16* and has a knock sensor. You can tell a difference between the 87/89 from in town vs the 91/93 Ethanol free gas...

A little tip, if you run 87 octane, keep the base timing, but if you ALWAYS run 89 or higher, please due advance your timing a bit... You will do your self a big favor, you get noticeable amount more power and it will run more efficiently so you will use a tiny bit of gas less... I would advance by 2* at a time until your start to detect pinging under WOT take off then back off 2* and you are at the optimum running conditions...

cadunkle
07-02-2014, 09:50 AM
89 octane E10. If I get gas on the water it's whatever they have. Depending on where it could be 89-93 octane E10 or good old fashioned MTBE. I don't worry about ethanol, but after some fuel issues storing with a full tank this past winter I'll be storing it near empty from now on. Ethanol does not keep as well long term as MTBE or lead does.

Zim
07-02-2014, 10:06 AM
87 from whoever has it the cheapest in town. Most have 10% ethanol. I use mine enough that condensation isn't a problem. During winter layup, fill the tank to the top and treat it with fuel stabilizer to prevent as much condensation as possible. Never had an issue.

cjtpilot
07-02-2014, 10:28 AM
87 octane from in town in IL it all has 10% ethanol. I run Marvel Mystery Oil through every other tank and when stored in winter I use seafoam.

haugy
07-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Gas. From where ever I can get it. Normally won't run high test.

At winter time, the last tank I run through the boat is ethanol free, and then I top off the tank with ethanol free. As much fuel as this big girl drinks, if I fill up with ethanol fuel. It barely has time to sit and do damage (other than the carb).

wotan2525
07-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Whatever is closest to the launch we are going to. Usually 87 octane E10. I've stored it full, empty, half-full, half-empty, and everything in between and have never had a problem. I hit the carb with a heavy shot of fogging oil in the fall and dump 2 cans of sea foam in the tank before I winterize.

garyholl
07-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Gas from the Race Trac gas station. It's the closest to my ramp. It hasn't been a problem yet...