PDA

View Full Version : New SeaDek pad on my 24 SSV - pics of my process.

nboettcher
07-03-2014, 01:06 PM
I finally got my SeaDek pad last night and got it put on. Here is the process I went thru, maybe it will help someone thinking about doing the same.

I started here, with the 3-piece black pad that was tracking black throughout my boat on the white vinyl.

I was able to start peeling off some of the black pad, but it would come up in sections. The pieces that I couldn't pull up, I ended up using a drywall knife blade and hammering it under the pad. This was my last effort to get it off. It actually didn't do any damage and worked well. I was then left with this mess of adhesive leftover.

I then used Mineral Spirits and smaller putty knife to scrap off the adhesive. I let the MS soak into the adhesive a little before I scraped it with the putty knife. Worked to get a majority of it off. I was then left with some small residual adhesive.

Being a bit of a perfectionist, I worked to get it almost all gone. After finishing with the MS, I used a clean rag and Acetone to remove MS, debris, etc from the board to get it nice and clean.

Before I put the new SeaDek down, I used window cleaner one last time. I then used the method from SeaDek's video on their website to apply the pad. It literally took me 5 minutes to put the pad down. End result - looks awesome!

hkgroggy
07-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Looks great, nicely done.

Kma4444
07-14-2014, 07:08 AM
What an improvement, nice!!!!!

kennyk69
07-31-2014, 08:11 AM
I like the custom Supra you added. I did this mod recently as well............I let my platform bake in the sun for a while to heat up the pad and the adhesive. After I got one edge of the old mat lose 99% of the glue came off in a long a tiring tug. I used rubbing alcohol to clean the surface and I agree the install is super easy.

Rusty Griswold
10-22-2014, 10:07 PM
did you think about the teak look at all? I like but can't decide. My current one is gray with black padding. so I kind of
like the teak with black thoughts

tg0824SSVGG
10-23-2014, 07:59 AM
I did SeaDek 2 years ago - hated the black pad. Similar process to yours. Love it. Much more comfortable, looks great and no more black in the boat!

Rusty Griswold
10-30-2014, 08:03 PM
can anyone look at the seadek website. It seems like they have the wrong configurations on the supra 24 ft models. I have a 24 launch ssv, but mine should be the 24 ssv. Can someone give me their opinion. Did they make different pad sizes. mine is a 2006

tg0824SSVGG
10-30-2014, 11:08 PM
Does yours look like mine? I have a 2008 24 SSV - they didn't show mine as this one, until I talked to them:

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?14711-Finally-installed-the-new-SeaDek-platform-pad-I-bought-last-fall!&highlight=seadek

If so - I got the PDF from another member here and used it to order ...

Rusty Griswold
10-31-2014, 02:14 PM
Yes, Thanks. Did you think about doing the teak look at all? I know mine is in three sections now but it looks like everyone just covers the entire platform.

tg0824SSVGG
10-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Yes, Thanks. Did you think about doing the teak look at all? I know mine is in three sections now but it looks like everyone just covers the entire platform.

I ordered samples from SeaDek and got the teak as one of them. At least when I was looking, it had "grooves" in it - which I thought might be problematic, even though
it looked pretty cool - in the end, I went with just the grey, but did have "Supra" engraved into it - I don't know that I would spend the extra again for the name, unless it was
something to name the boat ...

Rusty Griswold
11-04-2014, 04:32 PM
thanks for the update. Meant to get back with you sooner.