PDA

View Full Version : Teaching slalom 101

2500HD
07-03-2014, 09:24 PM
I'm not a slalom skier, i do slalom every once in a while but i couldn't begin to give pointers. With that being said, my wife wants to learn and i was wondering if anyone could give me pointers to translate to her?
I should have said that i only slalom ski enough to prove that i still can.

foxriverat
07-05-2014, 10:47 PM
First find out which foot will go in front binding. We like to give the person a little push. The leg that goes back to stop from falling will be back leg. Start by dropping a ski on combos. Lift leg that will go in back binding. Point tip of ski out and dip tip of ski in water ripping it off foot. Take your foot and feel for back of calf on front leg. Slide foot down front leg to find rear binding. Once she gets that down and gets comfortable on one ski she can try getting up on one. Most feel comfortable starting with foot in front binding and rear leg out dragging behind when first learning to get up on one. Hope that helps.

2500HD
07-06-2014, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the tips fox, but she is needing pointers on how to deep water start with just one ski. Unfortunately my technique is brute force and ignorance so i'm not much help. lol

Jetlink
07-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Get her a ski rope with a "bridle" for a slalom ski to help keep the ski from wandering about on the start. I struggled with deep water starts until I just placed both feet in the the bindings instead of dragging a foot and never had a problem since then.

jzelt
07-07-2014, 10:07 AM
A lot of it is brute force and holding on.

Take a deep breathe, tuck into a ball with both knees bent, hide behind the ski, use the back leg to keep the ski tip up straight and 60 degrees to the water surface, and try to pull up to standing position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYlbWMEwMqE

Zim
07-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Tell her to keep her eyes on the tree-line. It will help her keep her head up.