PDA

View Full Version : Plugs and wires

devovino
07-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Did a little tune up yesterday (plugs and wires) I used automotive wires, unfortunately a couple of the wires are a little short and are pretty tight in there and up against the exhaust manifold. I am wondering if this will be too much heat for them to take, and am wondering if anybody has had this happen, I woke up this morning with the premonition of possibly melting a wire? Anybody ever had this happen?

Dying to get on the water, but not at the expense of melting a wire or something stupid happening. The old wires were just that old, but there was a lot more play and room between them and the exhaust manifold?

CJD
07-05-2014, 05:43 PM
On the one hand...a boat manifold is several hundred degrees cooler than a car exhaust manifold. I do not think it will melt the wires.

That said, I personally would place it on my "to do" list to eventually get them off the manifold. Any unecessary heat on rubber and electrical components is not desireable.

lively
07-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Ever watched auto wires at night ? I know it's kind of a myth but I run marine wires on mine . 8mm triple insulated to the core . They won't spark out side of insulation and ground to engine . I use to check for bad auto wires at night (misfires , and weak spark ) looks like a lightning show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael hunter
07-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Skidim sells original equipment PCM wires.

devovino
07-06-2014, 12:36 PM
On the one hand...a boat manifold is several hundred degrees cooler than a car exhaust manifold. I do not think it will melt the wires.

That said, I personally would place it on my "to do" list to eventually get them off the manifold. Any unecessary heat on rubber and electrical components is not desireable.

After talking to the Auto parts store, they said they could melt over time and most likely not in onew day, so I decided to run them. No problems, yet, I checked them when I got home and nothing happened to the wires. @ Lively, the wires are 8mm, but only double thick, but they seemed to not arc and did not have a chance to check during the dark of night. However, not ideal and I will make a change to just get correct wires and move them away form the manifolds. I agree CJD, they do run a lot cooler, I believe I have either a 140 or 150 thermostat, so yeah definelty run cooler than the automotive application.

Blackntan90
07-06-2014, 04:33 PM
I just had my buddy return the auto wires he bought for the 351 due to the same issue- not quite long enough, and touching the manifold where it exits the head. That part of the manifold is NOT cooled, and therefore WILL melt the wires where they touch or are too close. I would recommend the PCM wires as they are the correct length. As far as the rope packing for the stuffing box, call skidim and talk to Vince if you can- he can steer you in the right direction.