PDA

View Full Version : won't start

Brosh
07-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Alright so a few weeks ago I bought a 86 sunsport that was basically just a hull with an engine in it and all the parts laying inside. I have been working on putting things back together, and was hoping since the engine was "running great" last year that would be the easy part. Well no so much. Anyway I. Ant get t to start. I have replaced batteries cables, fuel pump starter and plugs. At this point the engine turns over but will not start. Finally yesterday I checked the timing and looking at the harmonic balancer it was off by about 40* so I thought oh great that should do it. Well this morning I roughly lined everything up by eye to where the pcm manual said it should be 10* but same result. It cranks strong and everything seems as though it should fire up but doesn't. When I check the plugs they end up flooded. I am just completely out of ideas.
Sorry long post but wanted to help eliminate some. Causes.
Thanks Josh.

michael hunter
07-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Does it have spark to the plugs? Does it still have points? Call me and I will walk you through checking it. 678-227-8833

Brosh
07-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Thank you Mr Hunter. The pmgr starter I replaced the original with turned the wrong way... Old starter in, engine fires right up!

Greg Parker
08-02-2014, 01:02 PM
I saw your reply and I am having the same problem with engine not starting. My post is titled 1998 Supra Comp will not start. Any help would be appreciated.