PDA

View Full Version : Uneven tire wear?

wotan2525
07-07-2014, 02:59 PM
So, I feel like I've done my part to take care of my trailer but I noticed when I was parking the other day that the tires on my rear axle are both shot on the inside edge. These tires were used when they went on but had at least 75% tread. Since then they have had less than 1000 miles put on them. They are radial, passenger car tires but are under the rated load (similar to what they are now putting on at the factory on boat trailers.) They hold air and they are balanced. Bearings and seals have all been serviced regularly. New bearings last year, new leaf springs and shackles last year. Seems to tow just fine.

Front tires still look like they did the day I put them on. Rear tires are only worn on the inside lip but are both worn the same.

I'm going to swap the wheels from the front axle to the rear axle, but obviously I don't want to keep eating up tires every 1000 miles. Thoughts on what my problem might be?

Jetlink
07-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Don't you mainly just trailer a few miles between the ramp and your house? You are most likely eating them up with all the turns more so than the distance driven.

wotan2525
07-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Don't you mainly just trailer a few miles between the ramp and your house? You are most likely eating them up with all the turns more so than the distance driven.

Yep -- I do at most 3 miles round trip (highwater means the 1 mile round trip launch has been closed.) I did trailer it about 800 miles last year to a cabin, though..... Thinking that must have burned them up. Do the rear tires get beat up worse by turning/low-speed stuff? I'm thinking the axle must be shot or needs to be re-arched. There's a place in St. Paul that can do it but it means figuring out how to pull the axle out with the boat still on the trailer and then being out of commission for a week. :(

Jetlink
07-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Low speed turning/cornering is brutal on tires in a dual or more setup.

Blackntan90
07-09-2014, 10:09 AM
I do notice on my dual axle trailer that at low speed tight turns the tires (and possibly axles) bend, flex and even leave rubber on the parking lot. At least the rears are wearing evenly? If you have a calibrated straight edge to check for axle arch it might be a good place to start.

SquamInboards
07-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Is your trailer level when it's hooked up to the vehicle? If you're wearing rear axle tires only, you might be a little high at the tongue. It wouldn't take much, an inch or two would make a difference over time.