PDA

View Full Version : New here please help me

SALTARE
07-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Hi guys Im new here and I hate to introduce myself this way but I'm in a bit of a jam .My friend has a 1990 Supra Mariah and we broke the propellor shaft 2 days ago . I need one ASAP as we have a 10 day camping trip scheduled to start friday the 11th . IF anyone knows where i can get one ASAP please tell me . Thank you very much

korey
07-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Most shaft suppliers keep them in a semi-finished state. All you have to do is call them with the size (diameter of the shaft and diameter of the flange at the trans) and final length (or they can help you measure) and they'll get it cut and shipped pretty quickly. I had a shaft turned around this way inside of a week about this time last year. I bought mine through Discount Inboard Marine - if you're tinkering with old inboards like these you should get to know those guys anyway. www.skidim.com. be sure to route around on their homepage for a free discount code!

chris young
07-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Call Skidim, if you give them the measurements they'll set you up pretty quick with the A.R.E system.

Talk to them on the phone, apparently they are very helpful. If you've got time, you should replace the strut bearings while it's out, lap fit the prop, and check the alignment.

Good luck, where did it break?

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1011

Looks like Korey and I posted same time

korey
07-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Also, if you decide to do strut bushing(s), the ARE tool for ~$180 makes the job a breeze. It seems pricy compared to the cost of the bushings, but man will it turn that job into a no-brainer! I made a copy of the tool myself based on what I saw in their youtube video after missing a weekend on the water due to destroying a new set of bushings trying to put them in the wrong way! Holy run-on sentence batman. you get the point. maybe.

lively
07-07-2014, 06:14 PM
To remove strut bushing all you need is hacksaw blade to cut through the old rubber / metal sleeve and roll it out with some needle nose pliers . Then get a 2' piece of all thread 2 nuts and two washers insert bushing with lube , Turn nuts to pull new bushing into strut . No need for 180$ on tool . Made mine for less than 20$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SALTARE
07-08-2014, 04:12 PM
YOU GUYS ARE AWSOME !!! I spoke with www.skidim.com and they got me all set up . I was really panicking to get this thing running and the tracking shows I'll have the part tomorrow !!! I really appreciate the replies guys thank you so much !!

Blackntan90
07-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Be sure to align the engine to that nice new shaft! Good luck and have fun!