PDA

View Full Version : Need a quick fix, but a permanent one: Swim platform screws came out

haugy
07-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Well figures, right before the reunion I noticed my swim platform was loose, I wiggled it and the sucker came of in my hand. GREAT! The screws finally stripped out.

I need a super strong adhesive, that sets up pretty quick. I know everyone seems to like 5200 but from my experience it just stays real tacky for a long time. And finally after maybe a couple of weeks it will solidify.

Any recommendations for what I can put in there with new screws to make it permanent?

Jetlink
07-07-2014, 10:19 PM
4200 sets up in 12-24 hours I believe and it's good for below water as well.

cadunkle
07-07-2014, 10:29 PM
I seem to recall a fast cure 5200 being available?

http://www.3m.com/product/information/Marine-Fast-Cure-5200-Adhesive-Sealant.html (http://www.3m.com/product/information/Marine-Fast-Cure-5200-Adhesive-Sealant.html)

Vs regular 5200 I believe takes a few days to cure. Maybe go with that and 1/4" longer screws to get into some fresh wood if the thickness is there?

Wulphie
07-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Sika anchorfix sets in about 10mins. Use a pva mold release or a coating of carnuba on the threads or you will never get the bolts out.

CJD
07-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Quick fix would be larger screws, as I don't think you will get the originals to hold no matter what you use for adhesive.

Another fix is to epoxy dowels into the old holes and re-drill for original screws. 5 minute epoxy will work in a hurry. Offset all the new holes to be on the side of the dowels, as this will tend to wedge the dowels in extremely tight.

My biggest concern is the plywood inside the transom. It is very likely....well, I don't even want to say it before your trip.

Brosh
07-08-2014, 09:40 AM
I just did this repair, and i drilled the holes out a little larger, then filled with epoxy resin, let cure overnight then reattached. Seems to work well, i can climb all over it no problem and I am a pretty big guy (6'3" 240lbs)

haugy
07-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Sorry meant to be more clear as well. The bolts are stripped on the platform side, not the transom. So the good thing is, 99% of time it's weight pressing down on the platform onto the brackets, so no pulling load. I'm going to go with a slightly larger screw, and some sort of epoxy type adhesive. I want these brackets to never come off the platform again.

wotan2525
07-08-2014, 10:20 AM
I haven't heard of that problem but I suspect one size larger screw should take care of you.

I replaced the lag bolts on the transom side with through-bolts. Had to cut away the floor under the gas-tank but with some big fender washers and some lock-nuts, sealed up with 4200, I don't think they'll ever come out again.

Brosh
07-08-2014, 10:22 AM
At least with my platform, it attached to plywood supports that are laminated to the underside of the platform... mine were completely rotten (to match the transom plywood) just putting larger screws in wont be a long term fix i don't think if your platform is constructed like mine.

lively
07-08-2014, 10:51 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/08/u4yga3u4.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/08/upehu6uz.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/08/vehajyzy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/08/reqequ5e.jpg

I made backing plates when I did mine and sucked them up tight with 5200 . They hold very strong . I have had 500 lbs + on the back of the platform and it is steady !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CornRickey
07-09-2014, 02:25 AM
Best fix for the teak would be to drill them dowel with a hardwood dowel using Tightbond III then drill and reset

haugy
07-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Well I apparently sucked on the description on this one. My bad.

Fiberglass platform, but it has wood on the mounting points (don't know if yall knew that). I drilled the mounts from the boat for new holes and put new bigger screws in with epoxy on the threads. I don't think it will last very long as the screws turned real easy, even the knew ones. I think it's all rotted out under there. I may just have to epoxy the bracket to the platform all together.

Brosh
07-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Yeah that might be your best bet, just watch for delamination between the wood and the glass, mine was doing that on the center support pretty bad. I used clamps to pull it back together and filled with epoxy and put 2 new layers on top. I think that should do for this year, but i am pretty certain that the only way to fix it properly is grind out the supports, make new ones and glass them in like they were originally. But that is a project for the off season. sorry i should have taken pictures, i am real bad at that. once i start working i get in the zone and block everything else out.

92SupraComp
07-09-2014, 09:23 PM
AH! We just had this problem! Sort of...

Details: 1992 Supra Comp. Quick Removal 3 pin ski deck.

So, our ski deck has always caught the water at the tips of the corners. And I don't mean the spray from the boat, the deck actually catches the body of water your are riding on. Our deck has also ALWAYS had a lot of slop to it because of the quick removal bracket design and it wearing out after 20+ years...

So, the scene. Last summer had extended family out, took the younger ones out for EXTREME tubing in our 3 person Aqua Glides Supercross tube. I was whipping them back and forth so hard and fast that after 5 days of it, they started flying out on last day... Well it was the last day that things went bad. The ski deck seemed looser then normal and it started acting funny when cornering fast. When suddenly it bent upward so that the handrail was a foot above the water! AH!! Went in slow, picked it up to horror... The passenger side bracket had POPPED OUT of its mount with the pin still there! So this then put ALL of the stress on the middle and driver side bracket... There are 6 screw per bracket on the deck underside, and the middle and drivers bracket each had 2 stripped screws left! We almost lost the deck!!! So we put it off till 2 weeks ago and finally drilled out all of the holes, filled them with a poly ester and fiberglass pooky, sanded smooth, and headed off to the fabrication shop. We had the welder build up welds where the brackets had worn and filed them down to a snug fit on each of the mounts. Bought new rubber backing, and the result, is super stiff never moving 3 ski brackets... We bought the next size up stainless wood screws from lowes, did a test fit to get it where WE wanted it, and then drilled and screwed all 18 holes. Very strong hold and after a couple test runs, and some kids using it, it doesn't budge the slightest :D

Sadly no before, repair, and after pics. :( I can get result picks in two weeks though to show how the welder built up the aluminum. Each bracket was about 1/8"+ TOO short for the mounts... I would be very surprised if it needs repair again in 20 years.

Good Luck!!

Oh note: We had a combo of dry/damp wood in the deck. Also, at the front of the deck (closest to transom) on the under side, the fiberglass had cracked where they encased the wood. So we cut out all 3 splits and refilled and sanded them smooth to prevent more water damage...