PDA

View Full Version : Oil Level

incognito
07-08-2014, 12:11 AM
Am I missing something? I'm pretty good about servicing everything I have but I am having troubles with the oil levels, or maybe the oil readings. Last night I got back from the lake and checked the oil in my 2002 Supra Launch SL (Direct Drive) and noticed that the oil was add the "Add" mark. This was 3 hours after we got back. So I start thinking about "where is my oil going", and " is it burning oil". Anyway when I changed the oil prior to the season, it read just fine. So after it sit, I checked it again and noticed the same mark "Add". So I added "1 quart" of Rotella and let it sit for about an hour. Came back and it reads that is now over "1 quart", WTF! I came back in the morning and re-checked it............. and it appears to still be over 1 quart, as it reads just under the "O" in Operating levels. That's a pretty big jump for just adding 1 quart of oil obviously. So, that morning I drained exactly 1 quart, and you guessed it, it went down to the same damn spot "ADD". I know this thing doesn't take 2 quarts of oil. And yes, I'm parked on a grade with the bow slightly canted up, but I still don't understand the readings on this thing. Maybe the oil is so clean I'm not seeing it, but I can see where the darker portion of the oil is on the dipstick. Any thoughts?

Blackntan90
07-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Probably best to check when floating in the water. What trans do you have? As far as I know, some of the trans will have the engine at an angle, while some will not. Mine has the 1:23 and the engine sits level, my buddies 1:1 has the engine slanted down in the rear. Also, I know that after running the oil needs to drain back to the pan, but that should not take overnight! Could the dipstick be the wrong one for your application? Hope I helped in some way! Let us know what you find.

lively
07-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Put a level on your spark arrestor and check when it's level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJD
07-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Don't know if this is a factor or not...but some engines allow the oil you add to run down the dipstick inside the engine. So for a few minutes after you add oil you get a false high reading.

incognito
07-15-2014, 12:49 PM
I apologize for the late reply fellas, I has been a long week. I pulled the boat to a more level surface and played with the oil level until I got a good enough reading just prior to full. It was about 100 degrees (hot as hell) on the lake yesterday and it ran fine for awhile. The oil pressure was over 40 psi, and went to about 60 all the way out until we got ready to wakesurf. As it warmed up, the oil pressure held steady all day at 40. We ran pretty good for about 3 hours or so in the lake and decided to go in do to a possible thunderstorm. I was sitting on the back of the boat and was taking my time listening to the engine, which sounded fine. Got into the no wake zone, and my wife dropped it into the position just above idle. We cruised for about 3-5 minutes or so and everything sounded fine, then the engine sputtered and went out. Attempted to start it numerous times with throttle and without and it would just start up sputter and then die. So I don't know if I got some water in the fuel, fuel pump is going out, or maybe I suffered from a case of vapor lock. It was pretty disappointing since I have had zero issues for about 3 years now. Luckily we were close enough to the dock to swim the thing back in. The only thing I noticed different was that the boat was taking on a little bit more water (to be expected with fat sacs), and it appeared that there was a lot more "trail" or "foam" in the water from the boat. Now I gotta diagnose this thing so I can get back out. Thanks again for the replies.

incognito
07-15-2014, 01:09 PM
I apologize for the late reply fellas, I has been a long week. I pulled the boat to a more level surface and played with the oil level until I got a good enough reading just prior to full. It was about 100 degrees (hot as hell) on the lake yesterday and it ran fine for awhile. The oil pressure was over 40 psi, and went to about 60 all the way out until we got ready to wakesurf. As it warmed up, the oil pressure held steady all day at 40. We ran pretty good for about 3 hours or so in the lake and decided to go in do to a possible thunderstorm. I was sitting on the back of the boat and was taking my time listening to the engine, which sounded fine. Got into the no wake zone, and my wife dropped it into the position just above idle. We cruised for about 3-5 minutes or so and everything sounded fine, then the engine sputtered and went out. Attempted to start it numerous times with throttle and without and it would just start up sputter and then die. So I don't know if I got some water in the fuel, fuel pump is going out, or maybe I suffered from a case of vapor lock. It was pretty disappointing since I have had zero issues for about 3 years now. Luckily we were close enough to the dock to swim the thing back in. The only thing I noticed different was that the boat was taking on a little bit more water (to be expected with fat sacs), and it appeared that there was a lot more "trail" or "foam" in the water from the boat. Now I gotta diagnose this thing so I can get back out. Thanks again for the replies.

I forgot to add that there was also an extreme smell of gas when this issue was happening, almost like it was flooded.

CJD
07-15-2014, 02:56 PM
Are we talking about a carb or a fuel injected engine?

lively
07-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Make sure it's pumping fuel and that extreme gas smell is not for the fuel pump weep hole that shot into the carb .

Fuel , spark , compression . That's all you need to fire . Verify that and report back

incognito
07-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Are we talking about a carb or a fuel injected engine?

It's Fuel injected. I did just change the fuel/water separator. Well see what happens .

incognito
07-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Ok, I dropped it in the water still on the trailer and it started right up. Let it run for a few minutes, cut it off and it started back up with no issues. Hopefully I will have the same luck next weekend. Thanks for the help guys.

incognito
07-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Update:

I went out yesterday and ran it off and on (more on) for about 3 1/2 hours, about the same amount of time last go around. The tank was down to almost half and tank and bam, the problem started once again. At first it would idle for a few seconds, but got worse as it time went on. The engine was never hot, it never got above 170, so I don't think vapor lock has anything to do with it. I tried to wait it out and started it multiple times with no avail. Temperature even cooled down to 150, nothing. Then the weird thing is this; my buddy tows us to the dock and we start winching it up. The more of an angle the boat sits on, the better the boat responds to starting. Once the boat was at a 45 degree angle (steep ramp), it started and idled like nothing ever happened. I don't know if trash is pulling up and then settling in the tank or what. I bounced around the idea that the thing is out of gas and the gas gauge is not working, but after the last incident it only took 8 gallons. It's like clockwork, at the same time or rather when the same amount of gas in the tank it won't run unless at an angle. Wish I had more time to diagnose it, I'll have to wait for next week.

wotan2525
07-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Update:

I went out yesterday and ran it off and on (more on) for about 3 1/2 hours, about the same amount of time last go around. The tank was down to almost half and tank and bam, the problem started once again. At first it would idle for a few seconds, but got worse as it time went on. The engine was never hot, it never got above 170, so I don't think vapor lock has anything to do with it. I tried to wait it out and started it multiple times with no avail. Temperature even cooled down to 150, nothing. Then the weird thing is this; my buddy tows us to the dock and we start winching it up. The more of an angle the boat sits on, the better the boat responds to starting. Once the boat was at a 45 degree angle (steep ramp), it started and idled like nothing ever happened. I don't know if trash is pulling up and then settling in the tank or what. I bounced around the idea that the thing is out of gas and the gas gauge is not working, but after the last incident it only took 8 gallons. It's like clockwork, at the same time or rather when the same amount of gas in the tank it won't run unless at an angle. Wish I had more time to diagnose it, I'll have to wait for next week.

My advice is worth what you paid but to me this means 100% that the problem is with the fuel pick-up in the tank. It's clogged with something or bent or has a leak in it somewhere.

lively
07-22-2014, 04:16 PM
If you say the gas gauge does not work , check the ground on the sensor . If you ground the wire itself to - on batt or engine the needle should move to full . Now pull the tank already and check your pick up screen the whole assembly and clean it all out . You have to start somewhere . But you still haven't verified fuel pressure when it's acting up you should be watching the pressure to verify if there is loss in pressure . 3psi should be the absolute min . wOT should maintain with a new pump 6-7psi on carbureted engine