PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Ski Pylon Flexing - 1997 Supra Vision

Jester4wazzu
07-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Hi Guys,

Recently bought a 97 Supra Vision and love it, only tried to slalom off of the tournament sky pylon (the one in front of the engine) one time but the driver stopped and put the rope on the rear towing eye because they said the pylon was flexing a lot. I didn't see it myself but is this normal? Thiking of welding a reinforcement.

Thanks.

Zim
07-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Shouldn't flex much at all. I'd drive your boat with someone skiing from the pylon and see what it looks like yourself then go from there.

Jester4wazzu
07-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Hmm ok thanks for reply.

I figured a little flex was normal since it is a lot of force when you are cutting back and forth. But just sitting in the boat you can physically wiggle it back and forth a little, it doesn't seem to be loose or anything just has a noticeable amount of give.

I know a lot of welders so I think we will try to reinforce the bracket that holds it below the deck but for now will just keep wake boarding or skiing off of rear towing eye.

Thanks again.

Wulphie
07-09-2014, 05:54 AM
The original bracket should be plenty strong so you probably have a problem with how it is attached to the boat.

That said I fabricated a new bracket for one of my boats out of 304 and burned it together with weldmold 888, but that was because I don't like to see rust in my bilge. If I decide to keep the Supra I bought I will do the same with that. Metals Depot has a good selection and ships quick, I think I paid about $160 for materials shipped to my house.

Blackntan90
07-09-2014, 09:53 AM
There are a couple of set-screws that hold the pylon to the bracket, check to sure they are tight. Mine does not flex at all-none that the human eye can see. It could also be corroded since the pylons are aluminum and the brackets are steel, and that could cause some slop.

Jester4wazzu
07-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Awesome thanks for the idea Wulphie.

Blackntan90 I will check the set-screws later today or possibly tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes. I am getting a new depth sounder in the mail on thurs so will be installing that before this weekends outings.

Thanks again.