PDA

View Full Version : TS6M Bimini Size

cjennTS6M
07-09-2014, 12:08 AM
What size Bimini top should I order for an 87 TS6M comp? I want something that a 6' person can walk under comfortably w/I looking too goofy when installed & up. I like the low profile look, but function is equally or more important. No tower, just looking for some shade at this point. Any manufacturer suggestions? Thanks.

Blackntan90
07-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Ordered one from Overtons, it is the 'sharkskin' material and is very light. I think mine is a Westland brand. You will have a very tall top if you want to walk under it, mine is 4 foot tall to fit under my tower- gotta stoop a bit to move under it, but the lower it is the more the shade is where you want it. Hope this helps a little.

haugy
07-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Well you want it to clear a 6' person, but like the low profile look. You're going to have to work in a compromise in there somewhere.

A suggestion I have for you is easy setup. Make sure it's super fricken easy to setup so you can drop it if you stop somewhere and are going to be moving about the boat. And then when you get underway and want some shade, boom, it's up in two seconds.

On my Mariah it was mounted to the tower, but the concept would match a boat without one. It had one center pole and the tower unfolded from that. What kept it from moving forward or aft was two sets of straps. Two forward straps, two aft. The straps had clasp hooks on the ends and were pre-set to length. All I had to do was a quick "click" of the clasp and it was off, and then I could fold up the bimini.

On your comp, measure it so it can fold forward of the windshield and lay flat on the bow. Have two retaining straps on the aft be easy to remove. Then when you want it out of the way, a quick set of "clicks" and it folds forward onto the boat out of your way. Want it back up? Pull the straps up to open up the bimini and let it set into place, and click them back onto the boat. Done in 5 seconds.

cjennTS6M
07-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Makes sense to me..thanks for the response guys. I get the comp back from Hot Springs (AR) Marine Restoration in a week or so & will be measuring for the new Bimini then. The shop is installing new stringers, foam, decking, & carpet. I can't wait. Literally trying not to bug him on a daily basis, but I'm very excited to see that part completed. On to the fun part of installing interior, stereo, Etc. Have fun.

Crow Wing County
01-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Hi folks, I recently purchased a 1993 Supra Comp TS6M. Can someone confirm if these come out of the factory with the necessary hardware installed for a Bimini top? I don't recall seeing anywhere to mount the Bimini too/on so I'm wondering if it's even possible. The boat is now hours away from me in a storage unit otherwise I'd take a closer look for myself. Thanks in advance or your replies.

Jetlink
01-12-2015, 01:37 AM
Hi folks, I recently purchased a 1993 Supra Comp TS6M. Can someone confirm if these come out of the factory with the necessary hardware installed for a Bimini top? I don't recall seeing anywhere to mount the Bimini too/on so I'm wondering if it's even possible. The boat is now hours away from me in a storage unit otherwise I'd take a closer look for myself. Thanks in advance or your replies.

There are a few Comp owners I know that have installed biminis on their boats. I know of one locally that modified it so no drilling of the gelcoat was required. Hopefully they chime in with their input and pics.

Crow Wing County as in MN?

Crow Wing County
01-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Thanks Jetlink. Yep - Crow Wing County MN. My Supra will be spending it's days on the Whitefish chain. I can't wait to turn the key this spring.

Thanks

Jetlink
01-13-2015, 12:15 AM
Thanks Jetlink. Yep - Crow Wing County MN. My Supra will be spending it's days on the Whitefish chain. I can't wait to turn the key this spring.

Thanks

Really good family friends of ours have a few places on Cross Lake, also on the Whitefish Chain. Sunrise Island across the bay from the launch and then over on Maroda Point is their main house. Grew up boating there when we lived in MN before moving to IL. Know those lakes well.

foxriverat
01-14-2015, 02:12 PM
15426 I attached on windshield frame and rubrail

NoWake
01-15-2015, 09:11 AM
15426 I attached on windshield frame and rubrail

Any more pics Foxriverat? specifically do you have a more distant pic to show profile of boat, Bimini on water I believe if I were to put one on my 91 comp, that is what I would do. My ski time is usually early am for good water but that looks like something I could pop up and actually enjoy some more lake time.

Crow Wing County
01-15-2015, 03:54 PM
Thanks Foxriverrat! That is much more appealing than drilling into the gelcoat. Do you recall the brand/model of your Bimini?

Thanks again

Jetlink
01-16-2015, 12:02 AM
It's "custom" if I recall correctly.

foxriverat
01-16-2015, 07:31 AM
Dont remember brand name. Found it dirt cheap on ebay a while back. I think $70 shipped. Has the Top Gun material similar to sunbrella. Heres a pic further away. 15427

Crow Wing County
01-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Dont remember brand name. Found it dirt cheap on ebay a while back. I think $70 shipped. Has the Top Gun material similar to sunbrella. Heres a pic further away. 15427

Thanks again Riverrat. I'll start doing some shopping.

Hagman
01-20-2015, 12:37 AM
I picked up my Bimini from Overton's about 10 years ago. At that time they just come out with some really nice chrome mounting brackets for about $20 apiece. You can see in the picture I installed them about 6 inches back from the windshield. I installed the front Bimini tiedowns to the corner of the windshield frame. I installed the back any tiedowns just above the handrail on the inside where they don't show. I don't have a picture of them. This set up make makes Bimini installation and removal very easy, takes just a couple of minutes.
154331543415435And that is one very nice-looking white comp. I came across another white comp a few years back. That one had even the windshield frame painted white. Very clean looking boat.