PDA

View Full Version : clouding on gelcoat from polishing to fast & hard

suprasaltareaud
07-11-2014, 06:37 AM
Hi guys,
I was trying to give my boat a nice shine as the gelcoat was pretty good. I got the polisher out and had it on high speed for too long on a section and now it looks cloudy or hazy or dull. Will a cutting compound and polish and then wax bring it back to shiny? Is there a better way?
Thanks in advanced.
Jason

Blackntan90
07-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Go look at the 'Polish and Waxes' thread- lots of good info and products covered there. But remember to keep that polisher/buffer moving all the time!

haugy
07-11-2014, 12:51 PM
To answer your question, yes you can fix that. If you were just using a wax, make sure you got it all off. If you push a wax into gelcoat too much it can really embed, and it may seem scratched or hazy, it's just on there really thick.

If you were just using a wax, and not a rubbing compound, it won't take much to get it out. I would recommend 3M Finesse It. It's a very mild compound that would be a good start. You don't want to be too aggressive at first if it's an easy fix.

Is the gelcoat good and shiny now and you just over polished? Or is the whole hull hazy? Pics of the boat and condition can help us judge how aggressive you'll need to be to get it shiny.

suprasaltareaud
07-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys. I tried a gentle cut and polish and it did a pretty good job getting most of the cloudy haze off. Will do again and again if necessary. Thanks for the tips.

Jason14746