PDA

View Full Version : Boat Insurance?

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
07-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Howdy,

Who is everyone using for Insuring there boats? New or Old?

Thanks

cjtpilot
07-25-2014, 04:42 PM
I have mine through Allstate

Cusefan78
07-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Progressive

blackstang
07-25-2014, 04:50 PM
I use Progressive. I had a claim earlier this year due to theft and I have to say they were absolutely wonderful to deal with. I recommend them to everyone with a boat now.

hockeyGTP
07-25-2014, 07:55 PM
I use Nationwide for my '84, very reasonable and have always been treated well by them.

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
07-25-2014, 09:30 PM
I use State Farm for House and cars. Anybody use State Farm for there boat? Good or bad reviews?

99bison
07-25-2014, 11:27 PM
I have State Farm for everything, including multiple boats. Can't really speak to the boats as haven't had much for claims... 30 years ago family had one on a boat that was great, but that was 30 years.

michael hunter
07-25-2014, 11:54 PM
I had Boat US untill last year switched to Allstate now because of price but will switch to Skisafe next month . Good rates and they only insure boats.

cadunkle
07-26-2014, 08:05 AM
Boat is an '89 Saltare. $10,500 agreed value, $2000 trailer. $426 with Markel.

I used Progressive for years and they were initially around $400 I believe, but for 2-3 years they kept upping the rate $50-$100/yr so I ditched them. I did have my motorcycle and cars/trucks with Progressive as well, they lost some of that business as well. Note I never had a claim on any of my policies with Progressive during that time so it seemed quite arbitrary.

When shopping I had a lot of trouble finding anyone who would insure a boat at all (this was after Sandy, I'm east coast) and when I could find anyone who would write a policy they would write exclusions for damage from storms, including if the boat is on land on a trailer and say a tree falls on it or the structure it's in causing damage. They also would not write a policy covering the boat if more than ~100 miles from home even if I told them two two locations it is used and the dates once a year that it would be used away from home.

Markel tried the same thing but after going back and forth they wrote an exception to cover anywhere and cover storms. They did not want to agree to that value either, I had to show about a dozen CL ads and eBay sales of Saltares ranging from $7k-$13k along with a bunch of pictures of my boat then they finally agreed. I thoroughly hate shopping for insurance, boat insurance is the worst because nobody wants to cover anything. Read the fine print, they'll write you a $10k or $15k policy then exempt them from paying in the event of anything unfortunate or unforeseen happening. Make sure you understand the coverage, I like to run various scenarios by the agent, preferably in email, and see if they say it's covered. "What if the boat is parked on the trailer in my yard and a tree comes down on it? What if I'm on the water and hit log just below the surface? What if I'm trailering to the river and someone rear ends the boat? What if I'm on the lake 500 miles from home where the boat stays in the water for a few weeks at a time and I wake up to it sunk on the mooring? What if the boat is stolen?" etc... I never asked so many questions until I read how much they exclude from coverage. The answer to some of these questions is often no, or requires an additional coverage/declaration at minor cost.