PDA

View Full Version : Protec ignition replacement 91ts6m

NoWake
07-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Heys guys help me out here. I have been thinking of pulling the trigger on this http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK107025A. Please shoot some opinions at me and give insight. Thanks

inair
07-26-2014, 09:25 PM
I changed mine out this spring. It began slowly leaking something that looked like fiberglass resin that never fully hardened. It ran fine but I was afraid it would leave me stranded. The retro fit you are looking at from Skidim is what I went with. It is easy to instal and they can answer any questions you may have while you do it. I couldn't be happier with it. I think there are other options that may be able to deliver a stronger spark and may even be constructed more robustly but I chose this unit because of the ease of working with Skidim and their willingness to stand behind it.

Wulphie
07-27-2014, 06:52 AM
I put a D.U.I. on my Brendella super comp last summer. Simple and works well. If you order direct the will do custom advance curves for your application.

http://performancedistributors.com/faqs/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-m35820bl/overview/

NoWake
07-27-2014, 07:06 AM
... but I chose this unit because of the ease of working with Skidim and their willingness to stand behind it.

My thoughts exactly. Do you have the left handed 351W Ford also?

michael hunter
07-27-2014, 07:09 AM
I would go with the unit Wulphie suggested. The HEI is a simple bulletproof system with a 1 wire hookup.Not to mention its cheaper.

NoWake
07-27-2014, 07:53 AM
I put a D.U.I. on my Brendella super comp last summer. Simple and works well. If you order direct the will do custom advance curves for your application.

Did you have them custom advance? Did you have any specific issues on install?

Michael, seems cheaper, maybe quicker. I would need new plugs, wires and I think there is a skidim discount. Is it the fewer connections that sell you on DUI, More spark, no ext coil or other?

Thanks for the input

Ptownkid
07-27-2014, 08:07 AM
With that DUI unit, there's no need for the wiring harness is there?

Wulphie
07-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Did you have them custom advance? Did you have any specific issues on install?

Michael, seems cheaper, maybe quicker. I would need new plugs, wires and I think there is a skidim discount. Is it the fewer connections that sell you on DUI, More spark, no ext coil or other?

Thanks for the input

I bought mine from Summit because I happened to be ordering a few other things at the time and for me I don't feel the need for anything "custom". I was just pointing it out because if you did choose to do cam and intake in the future you can send it back to them with the cam specs and they will match the advance curves.

I was also able to press my cam gear off the stock distributor and use it on the dui so I didn't have to special order LH rotation.

You probably can't go wrong with either I just like the simplicity of the DUI and I think with a boat you want to keep things as simple as possible, nobody wants to have to get a tow.

Ptownkid
07-27-2014, 11:41 AM
I thought LH was standard?

Wulphie
07-27-2014, 12:09 PM
I thought LH was standard?

It is standard for ski boats although some of the GM engines are RH. For whatever reason the DUI comes standard with a RH gear and the LH gear was $90 extra, or at least that was the case when I bought mine.

NoWake
07-27-2014, 02:15 PM
It is standard for ski boats although some of the GM engines are RH. For whatever reason the DUI comes standard with a RH gear and the LH gear was $90 extra, or at least that was the case when I bought mine.
Still sparks my interest (ha!), I really appreciate alternatives. It looks like at this point the two systems are roughly equivalent in price. I don't have the tools to press anything, just old fashioned leverage and a vise. I really like the idea of less wiring and fewer components. That being said, this is a DIY project and I want a successful 1st outcome. I'm no mechanic, but I think most mechanics would think this to be 101, beginner project. Of course I'm always looking for an excuse to add to my tool arsenal.
Have you heard of any grossly negative issues with the DUI? Would they give support to the layman if issues arrive?

Wulphie
07-27-2014, 07:48 PM
The DUI is as simple as it gets. 1 wire for power and 1 wire for the tach. Pressing the gear on is not hard and not rocket science but you don't want to try to do it with a hammer and screw driver hahaha. You can break the gear or damage the distributor shaft if you were careless.

It might be a good idea for you to order it with the proper gear.

The other important thing is if you change the distributor is to note the direction the rotor is pointing and to orient the new one in the same direction. You can probably look on youtube for a simple instructional video on dropping in a new distributor, the whole thing is simple if you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing.

michael hunter
07-28-2014, 06:30 AM
I like the DUI because its modeled after the HEI used on GM cars and trucks for decades. Simple and bullet proof. Mose mechanics will recognize it and know how to work with it. If you are not confident with your repair skills then I think its time for a weekend trip to Paradise I mean Lake Lanier GA . We can fix it then take it out for the pull you owe the wife.

NoWake
07-28-2014, 06:47 AM
I like the DUI because its modeled after the HEI used on GM cars and trucks for decades. Simple and bullet proof. Mose mechanics will recognize it and know how to work with it. If you are not confident with your repair skills then I think its time for a weekend trip to Paradise I mean Lake Lanier GA . We can fix it then take it out for the pull you owe the wife.
Thanks Michael,
I not only owe your wife a pull,but one on glass. I'll bring a running boat though... time is much better spent on the water... running that is.

chris young
07-28-2014, 04:25 PM
While we're on the topic, does anyone have any idea as to why my motor idles much better with the timing well advanced? (like maybe 20 deg) When I bought the boat, that's where the timing was set and I assumed the harmonic balancer was spun because when I tried to set the timing to 10 degrees it didn't idle well at all. So my assumption was it probably was set at 10 deg but that the timing marks were wrong. This winter, I rebuilt the balancer, and then checked the marks against tdc. Since I had also rebuilt and wedged the carb the engine idled perfectly without touching the timing. When I checked it, sure enough it was around 20 deg and my top speed was around 36mph and audible detonation. I set the timing to 10deg, and had to adjust the curb idle to keep it running. Now there's no detonation, and the top speed is 39, so from a running point, I'm happy, but I can't figure out why it will idle better with the timing so advanced. It's got a Crane XR700 electronic ignition kit on it, so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

The only thing that pops to mind is a stretched timing chain, and there is a bit of slop so maybe in the fall I'll go after that. Does anyone know if you have to drop the pan to do the chain on the 351?