PDA

View Full Version : carb tuning?

jasun
07-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Not having a "problem" but more of an annoyance.

When I have it idle in neutral it does this at 1200-1500 and when I put it in gear, it will idle at 600 or so, but almost dies when I put it in gear and then will take off.

If I lower the neutral idle, then it lowers the in gear idle.

Is this a low speed needle adjustment?

I have a Edelbrock on the PCM 454 with a Malory distributor. Still running points.

CJD
07-28-2014, 10:03 AM
The Edlebroch carb only has a couple of adjustments. Float level...which is buried inside the body...and the idle mixtures. I would try richening the idle mixtures to see if this allows you to lower the idle. 1500 in neutral is pretty high! Checking the timing would not hurt, as initial timing can affect the speed and strength of the engine in idle too.

lively
07-28-2014, 02:02 PM
you need to verify timing and adjust so that the engine will crank easy and start . Timing is where you would start . I have a edlebrock on my 351
The idle mixture screws in front are only for that anything after idle will not be affected by adjustments . 2-1/2 CCW from stop is the default setting .

I would set it back to default and set timing . Then adjust for smoother operation .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasun
07-29-2014, 07:24 AM
Thanks guys. I will check the timing. I have not touched the Carb since it came out of the box. It starts up with a bump of the key every time but just idles high and seems to be random idle speeds. Should I also look at adjusting the Electronic choke setting?

cadunkle
07-31-2014, 08:14 AM
Make sure your timing is returning to where you set it every time it comes down to idle. Clean and lubricate the advance mechanism if it's dirty/rusty and not returning to base timing. Setting your idle stop screw and mixture in gear at idle can help get it more exact.

If it starts easy when cold your choke likely does nto need to be adjusted. When cold the choke valve should be open just a hair. Set high idle screw (if you have one) to 1000-1200 RPM, whatever the lowest RPM it'll idle fairly smoothly at on a cold start.

CJD
07-31-2014, 09:28 AM
If you just bolted it on, you will need to set the idle speed and throttle linkage, to make sure the linkage is actually giving you full idle. The mixture should be set at the initial setting by the factory. After checking timing, you can work on fine tuning the idle speed and mixture.

jasun
08-03-2014, 10:41 PM
When I bolted it on i set everything and adjusted th timing to the specs in the manual. It ran rough so I power tuned it on the lake it had run great. This was last year. I checked the timing at about 800rpm and it was WELL past 15. But now it is running smooth again with the timing advanced that much. I have an AV Malory distributor so timing should be at like 5. Any ideas why it runs so well so advanced?