PDA

View Full Version : Newbie!!!

oldschoolsupra
07-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Hello all, picked up a really nice 1989 Saltare over the July 4th weekend- runs great, low hours, and just couldn't top the boat for the price. had a few questions and wanted to know best places to go!! Cover- it came with the original Supra cover but it def needs to be replaced- where do I purchase a good cover (will only be used to travel with- boat stays inside a temp controlled bldg otherwise. what are the best mods for the old 454 motor- she is a bear to start cold- any ignition changes or other insight?? cleaning- inside and out- tips for the seats and carpet, and for the hull (it has some stains that I would like to get off so she looks good going in and coming out) and lastly- I have one small soft spot next to the little step plate on the port side (probably where last owner got in and out at the dock) but the rest of the floor and motor mounts are beautiful. should I pull the carpet up and fix or just wait til I need to redo the stringers (the will eventually fail)?

wotan2525
07-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Beautiful boat!

Cover- it came with the original Supra cover but it def needs to be replaced- where do I purchase a good cover (will only be used to travel with- boat stays inside a temp controlled bldg otherwise.

Skiboatcovers.com sells a very nice storage cover but I wouldn't use it to trailer. I wouldn't use any cover to trailer -- just asking for things to blow apart.

what are the best mods for the old 454 motor- she is a bear to start cold- any ignition changes or other insight??

I'd start with rebuilding/refreshing the carb. The kits are cheap and if you have half a brain you can do it. I was scared to do it for years and it only took me about 2 hours to take it apart and put it back together with fresh parts. Lots of help available on this forum if you decide to do it. I'd also make sure all your fluids/filters are clean, battery/starter cables are flexible and not-corroded, and I'd replace the points with a modern electronic distributor (your preference.) Do things slowly, 1 at a time so you can trouble-shoot any problems instead of changing everything out at once.

cleaning- inside and out- tips for the seats and carpet, and for the hull (it has some stains that I would like to get off so she looks good going in and coming out)

The sun will bleach your seats. I'm a fan of the dollar-store totally awesome cleaner for the seats. You can powerwash the carpet (leave it outside to dry out well in the sun after doing so.) Stains on the hull can be addressed with hull cleaner (muriatic acid.) That will remove just about anything below the water line. For stains above the water-line use some polishing compound on a rag or a Mr. Clean magic eraser. Be sure to wax afterwards.

and lastly- I have one small soft spot next to the little step plate on the port side (probably where last owner got in and out at the dock) but the rest of the floor and motor mounts are beautiful. should I pull the carpet up and fix or just wait til I need to redo the stringers (the will eventually fail)?

Knock on wood and hope your stringers stay solid. Depending on how soft it is, I'd probably address the floor during the off season. It is only going to get worse.

Cusefan78
07-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Agree with everything above. I love that color. Great looking boat. Enjoy.

oldschoolsupra
07-30-2014, 03:04 PM
wotan- thanks for all that!! color wasn't my fav- but that's why it was ultimately a steal!! I am ok with it and to all the haters that make comments- I ask where there boat is???? as far as the cover- will try that- but like yesterday I had to haul it home in the rain and roan grime and it was a mess!! I wouldn't trailer with a cover like you said but sure wish I had one yesterday!! muratic acid- what mix ratio?? I was planning on a new ignition and was going to have my buddy who owns a hot rod/performance shop do the carb. battery cables are perfect. soft spot is very small, you just notice (well I do, kids and mother don't) it. Again thanks for the advice!! love the boat and the kids love it too!!! who knew boating could be fun- I always thought it was just a hole in the water you threw $$ into!! HA!!!!

Wulphie
07-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Hull cleaner is not Muriatic acid, it is actually Oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is a organic compound and muriatic is Hydrochloric acid and even at a 10% solution is very caustic. Oxalic is often called "wood bleach" and can be bought in a powder form or there are some deck cleaners that contain it but not sure the percentage.

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
07-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Great looking Saltare! Welcome to the forum.

chris young
07-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Ok, if you're gonna tell us it's a steal you gotta fess up on what you paid:p

Looks like a very well cared for boat. Enjoy, and welcome to the forum.

SquamInboards
07-30-2014, 09:08 PM
who knew boating could be fun- I always thought it was just a hole in the water you threw $$ into!! HA!!!!

Can I just hold this quote right here until you DO need to put money into it? Hahaha. It's BOTH! Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be negative; I think you got a great boat that you will be happy with for years, if you take good care of it. But I had the best case scenario where I worked at a marina and paid zero dollars for labor, dealer cost for all my parts, and still put $500 - $1000 into the boat every year, in accessories, repairs, and maintenance.

But back to the fun stuff, I'm psyched for you and I think you'll find all the supra-specific help you need right here. If you have a close friend who has a performance engine shop, you'll be good with any engine issues you might have. These aren't difficult engines to work on, and there are lots of parts available so that's nice too.

For hull cleaning, there is a commercial product that may actually be what these guys are referring to - it's called Slimy Grimy and it's very acidic, and very effective. Whatever Slimy Grimy doesn't take care of, On & Off will. That's a product by MaryKate, commonly sold in marine stores and probably amazon. Don't get ANY of these things on your skin, and don't use them much above the waterline. Nasty stuff, but effective.

Best of luck with the boat and welcome to the forum!

Blackntan90
07-31-2014, 05:23 AM
Welcome to the forum! That is a nice big boat! I second the Dollar General 'Totally Awesome' cleaner, and for the distributor you don't need to replace the entire unit if it is not worn out- I replaced my points with a Pertronix ignitor- what a difference in performance and no maintenence! Best of luck and post more pic's!

TitanTn
07-31-2014, 09:38 AM
I have a quick comment on the cover discussion. Anytime I tow longer than to just my local lake, I use a cover. I've had the cover for years and properly strapped, I don't see towing causing any issues and it certainly protects the boat from road grime, weather, etc. Here is a pic with the cover on:

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/jocassee/covered_at_dock.jpg

Jetlink
07-31-2014, 09:44 AM
I also tow with my cover on unless it is from the house to the lake which is just a few miles away. I don't have any issues with towing with my cover on as it gets snugged down to the trailer after it gets snugged up around the boat. Even had zero issues with the long haul to and from the reunion almost 1,700 miles at highway speeds in some pretty heavy downpours.

crystal waters
07-31-2014, 10:26 AM
Nice boat !
I am a fan of CLR for hull cleaning. Acidic without being overly caustic as some of the others.
I use Maguiars vinyl cleaner with great results. This may not be as strong as the dollar store cleaner you should perhaps use first but is great for ongoing maintenance afterward.
As for cover I go to skiboatcovers.com for sure
They have your exact pattern on file and can add on tie downs etc as you may require.
I trailer with no cover but that is a personal choice for sure.
Enjoy your " new" boat.
I love the color but then I am prejudice to same

Cusefan78
07-31-2014, 01:01 PM
I found out the hard way that the cover acts like a parachute. Not only are you wearing out the cover but you're getting way worse mpgs

oldschoolsupra
07-31-2014, 03:14 PM
man thanks guys for all the info!! great to get such a great response!!! I paid $8k for boat and trailer! I thought I did ok??? I love the boat and the family does too- and yes I know it will cost me $$ but I am ok with it for sure. my dad has had boats up to 48' so I am familiar with the costs, and the fun !!! I will be giving the cleaners a try and getting a new cover- but the guys who commented on the cover- did the covers you got come with the poles and vents at the poles that go aft and mid boat?? and thanks crystal waters- the color is growing on me- just wish the waters around here matched the color of the boat like your pic!!!

TitanTn
07-31-2014, 03:30 PM
did the covers you got come with the poles and vents at the poles that go aft and mid boat??

You can see from the pic I posted where the black vents are with poles. It's a tight fit and doesn't move when towing. It sheds water well and has worn well too.

crystal waters
08-03-2014, 10:54 AM
You can see from the pic I posted where the black vents are with poles. It's a tight fit and doesn't move when towing. It sheds water well and has worn well too.

What material did you use?
Thx

DAFF
08-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Its an addition. Enjoy the Saltare. If it wasn't for getting a screaming deal on the Launch it would be what's in my drive too. Before long the teal will back in the spotlight, till then it will grow on you.

TitanTn
08-04-2014, 07:06 AM
What material did you use?
Thx

I honestly don't know what the material is. It's a waterproof material that I assume a lot of covers are made of. But I think the material could be made of a lot of different things. The best thing is the fit.

jzelt
08-05-2014, 04:54 PM
On the rivers around here they use, 50% Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and 50% hydrogen peroxide, but that may be to just get the scum line off, not the actual stain.