PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean an engine

dkelly4819
08-08-2014, 08:24 PM
I've got an '89 Sunsport and I'm looking for suggestions on how to clean the grime off the engine without making a mess of the boat. Bennett's did a deck and stringer replacement over the winter, amongst other things, and I hate to mess up the new carpet and clean bilge. Is there another way other than the old school engine de-greaser and hosing it off? Thanks.

Kma4444
08-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Here's one you won't like..... Shop rags and some spray degreaser, like purple power, buy a gallon or so and a spray bottle. Mix it up 50-50 or stronger, spray a little, maybe just on the rag, then wipe. Finish with a water dampened rag. Wear gloves and get lots of rags, You can do a perfect job, if you have patience.

CornRickey
08-08-2014, 08:58 PM
You should be able to use degreaser and a house without getting it all over the place

oldschoolsupra
08-12-2014, 08:59 AM
cut a pc of plastic drop cloth that fits down in the engine compartment and covers floor, front sides and back. tape to the rail or like mine over the rail and to the side of the boat-kind of like what surgeons use when they operate. heat engine up just a little, spray degreaser on and let sit, scrub a little, spray off ( I like to use hot water from the hot water tank) and viola!

Zim
08-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Simple Green sprayed all over the engine, then hose her off. Keep water away from coil, distributor, alternator, and other electric components. Better yet, wrap them up in plastic grocery bags. Hose it off and then wipe it down. Putting large pieces of cardboard around the motor like a big motor box without the top will keep the splashing inside the motor area and off your carpet/interior. The cardboard will get wet, but it'll work well enough for one hose down.