PDA

View Full Version : Kicker KM6500.2 drop in for Roswell cans in my 2011 Sunsport 242?

dbatech99
08-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Can anyone speak to if these are a direct drop in, or are there modifications. I am reading some have had to make modifications due to not quite fitting. These seem to be older years' light/speaker bar cans though.

Since these speakers were released around 2010 or so, and the newer cans are perhaps bigger... I am hoping these might be direct drop in without any cutting. Anyone installed any in a factory Roswell light bar similar to my model Sunsport?

Same old story, I like the factory light bar and am looking to upgrade the sound and add HLCD without losing my bar.

Secondary question, has anyone added the second set of midbass drivers (to make a sixpack)... and if so, how did you make this work with the light/speaker bar?

Thanks!

kporsch
08-11-2014, 06:57 PM
I put them in my factory cans in my previous boat - a 2009 ssv24. The horns are just a little bit too long and you need some minor modifications. What I did was use 2 6 1/2 plastic speaker rings for each of the horns. This gives you an extra 1/2 in or so and the horn fits. I had to slightly enlarge the id of the speaker rings using a dremmel. I remember putting a 6.5 in large oring between the 2 speaker rings which have a nice water tight seal to the can. I got most of the parts at my local ace hardware (screws, orings) and the speaker rings at a local car audio store (May have been best buy - I don't remember). It is a fairly easy project if you have decent DIY skills and well worth the upgrade at 1/3 the cost of wet sounds.

kporsch
08-11-2014, 07:12 PM
You can see some picture and try to zoom in and see what I did here: www.picasaweb.google.com/kporsch

Wylietunes
08-11-2014, 07:52 PM
The cross-over on the back of the horn can be removed and relocated to the side of the horn for added depth. Bed it in some expanding foam.

dbatech99
08-11-2014, 09:05 PM
The cross-over on the back of the horn can be removed and relocated to the side of the horn for added depth. Bed it in some expanding foam.

Thank you very much for your help.