PDA

View Full Version : 86 Saltare need help with wiring ballast resistor

premierproperties
08-12-2014, 12:28 AM
Hi Gang,
After pulling the motor to do a ring gear replacement I forgot to label where some of the wiring goes, and the starter won't engage with the key. I've narrowed it Dow. To the ballast resistor. I believe there is a purple wire coming off the port side which goes to the coil and a brown wire which goes to the neg terminal of the solenoid. Can anyone either confirm this for me with some pictures please?
Thanks in advance!

cadunkle
08-12-2014, 08:15 AM
On my '89 it is a purple(ish) wire to the coil. There are two purple(ish) wires though. Really easiest way is just use a multimeter on the few wires in that area and see waht is what. Key on 12v goes to one side of the ballast resistor. If you have a Pertronix or any other electronic ignition/pickup it gets wired to the full 12v side of resistor. Other side of resistor goes to coil. +12v with key in start position goes to the starter solenoid. Neg terminal on coil goes to points or trigger from distributor.

chris young
08-12-2014, 09:36 AM
This may help https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?16365-Generic-wiring-diagram&highlight=wiring+diagram

PM me if you want me to send a printable PDF

lively
08-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Do a search on here I have a thread for ballast resistor issues .

premierproperties
08-18-2014, 01:41 PM
So I replaced the ballast resistor and I believe it's wired correct...now I have a problem with the boat running. It will fire for a second but will not continue to run...any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CornRickey
08-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Will it run on starting fluid out dribbling gas into the carb?

premierproperties
08-18-2014, 09:13 PM
No, It will run with the key in the start position tho...???

CornRickey
08-19-2014, 12:20 AM
Well I guess there is something wired wrong still. Is your coil getting volts when the key is on"run"? I'm assuming not. If so you need to verify ignition wiring with a schematic. You can bypass the ballast resistor for a while why you check things out and rule out components. Done you have a resistor I'm assuming you still have points. It must be something simple.

lively
08-19-2014, 03:00 PM
The solenoid is not wired right to ign switch . And you are not providing voltage to coil witch is not allowing it to run . Search ign wiring and see what ign switch you have . On should be 12v and start should be wired to solenoid

premierproperties
08-19-2014, 03:12 PM
I was able to figure it out... It's running, thanks for all help

TitanTn
08-20-2014, 06:49 PM
I was able to figure it out... It's running, thanks for all help

Well give us the low-down. What was the issue and how'd you fix it?