PDA

View Full Version : Bilge pump problems

Henner
08-12-2014, 11:53 AM
I have a manuel bilge pump in the Comp this last weekend when i turned it on i could hear it running and feel it but no water was coming out of the boat. I tried wiggling wires and clearing anything down there that could clog it but nothing. Tried an hour later or so and it pumped all the water out, as the day went on again it was on and running but not pumping anything. Does anyone have an ideal what could be causing it to only pump water out certain times and not others.

foxriverat
08-12-2014, 01:17 PM
I had exact same problem with my auto bilge. Mine was the routing of the hose. It had about 4 feet extra hose that someone looped together and wire tied under dash before exiting the boat. It created like a p trap where water would sit in hose. I cut out the excess hose and made a straight run securing it above discharge point and then down and out. No more water sitting in hose. No more problem.

Henner
08-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Ok I will check that and see but it has worked fine the last 2 years.

Supra-in-steamboat
08-12-2014, 02:48 PM
I had exact same problem with my auto bilge. Mine was the routing of the hose. It had about 4 feet extra hose that someone looped together and wire tied under dash before exiting the boat. It created like a p trap where water would sit in hose. I cut out the excess hose and made a straight run securing it above discharge point and then down and out. No more water sitting in hose. No more problem.

Solid advice. I hope that would solve your problem. It is possible that there is debris in the small cage your pump may or may not be connected to. The cage I refer to snaps on to the bottom of your pump and has a metal screen that may have debris in it. My boat is a dog boat and I pull the pump screen every few times out to empty dog hair. If i slack for a week or two the sign to do it is when I press the button, nothing happens,then press it again and it works. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Supra-in-steamboat
08-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Apologies to Foxriverat as my paste of his reply did not give him credit with quotes. Solid advice.

Zim
08-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Hey Steamboat... off topic, but where do you boat at in the 'boat? I spent a day on Steamboat lake a couple years ago... it was amazing. Do you hit the reservoir that you see when you're driving over the pass?

Supra-in-steamboat
08-13-2014, 09:18 AM
The reservoir over Rabbit Ears Pass is called Wolford Res, the other closer to Summit County ( Vail) is Green Mtn. Both are always glass when you drive by without your boat... Once in a while I visit 2500HD's neck of the woods in Clark at Steamboat Lake, but usually we ride at Stagecoach Resevoir (south of SB by 15-20 min) until August. Mid August Stagecoach get these massive algae blooms and can creep you out with there fluorescent green glow. Mid August thru Sept we travel to Utah's Flaming Gorge. It's like a mini high elevation lake Powell without all the hidden rocks and carnage. Sorry to topic bomb your thread Henner. Hope your bilge sucks!

Zim
08-13-2014, 10:17 AM
The reservoir over Rabbit Ears Pass is called Wolford Res, the other closer to Summit County ( Vail) is Green Mtn. Both are always glass when you drive by without your boat... Once in a while I visit 2500HD's neck of the woods in Clark at Steamboat Lake, but usually we ride at Stagecoach Resevoir (south of SB by 15-20 min) until August. Mid August Stagecoach get these massive algae blooms and can creep you out with there fluorescent green glow. Mid August thru Sept we travel to Utah's Flaming Gorge. It's like a mini high elevation lake Powell without all the hidden rocks and carnage. Sorry to topic bomb your thread Henner. Hope your bilge sucks!

Nice. Our family has a place out there that I visit a few times each year. I'd love to pull my boat out sometime.

2500HD
08-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Bring it on out.....i dare ya lol

Zim
08-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Bring it on out.....i dare ya lol

One of these summers, I'll take a week off and head up there. Get a bunch of boating and fishing in.