PDA

View Full Version : 1996 La Brisa purchase

PBWolf
08-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Looking at a 1996 Supra La Brisa. It's got roughly 300 hrs, PCM 5.8 HO. Looks like original Supra branded single axle trailer. Everything I've read on this forum says it's a great engine - decent boat just not a popular Supra model. I'm looking for a good all around boat, I have no specific expectations as this would be my first boat, but I'm sure we will want to tube, ski, and try wakeboard/wakesurf with it on a very calm lake. He says it has no ballast. He's asking 8k OBO - the boat appears to be in good condition except the vinyl on the seats is worn and torn as expected. I understand this year and model should have no wood - all composite so I shouldn't have to worry about rot. Sounds like the glass may be problematic but that seems to be a small issue.

Sound like a decent deal? For good measure, I'm going to have someone look over the boat and motor, and I'm going to have him take us out on the water. Any specifics I should be looking for would be appreciated.

Pics: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B37VLAJfB-qrQnUzbnNjbEEtUTQ&usp=sharing

Blakelpd5
08-16-2014, 02:00 AM
I just purchased a 95 La Brisa. I have been super happy with it so far. I have the same motor setup you do exactly, and again, I'm very happy with the way it runs. $8k seems like a good deal to me! I'm no expert on these boats yet, but hopefully between us owners on here, we can put a pretty good database together of La Brisa specific topics.

crystal waters
08-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Always do a compression test on the engine.
This model has a great ski wake but questionable for wake boarding.
The engine itself is a great motor.
Good luck

PBWolf
08-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Thanks, yeah - I've got someone lined up to do a full inspection of the boat - I'll make sure compression test is a part of that. Forgot to mention he said it has new carpet, so that's a plus. I added a couple more non B&W pictures from the craigslist ad to that link above.

Cusefan78
08-16-2014, 05:33 PM
8k is a good deal. I paid a little more for mine with more hours. Only difference is I have the pro boss gt 40 motor. It will throw a good wake for boarding if you play with the wake plate. I have mine set where it's good at slower speeds and flattens out for skiing. You're going to love it. Great solid boat that handles just as good as a comp with the added room. Enjoy and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Our labrisa family is growing.

PBWolf
08-16-2014, 06:58 PM
How does one adjust the wake plate on this boat? From the pictures I've seen its screwed directly in to the bottom of the boat, or am I missing something?

crystal waters
08-16-2014, 07:25 PM
There should be two metal "arms" that are attached to the base of the plate and come up at approx 45 degrees to back of plate.
On these arms you will see it is threaded and there should be threaded adjustment pieces on each arm.
Turn these to raise or lower the plane of the lower horizontal plate.

PBWolf
08-17-2014, 12:04 PM
I've seen pictures of those arms but it just looked a little odd because I didn't see a hinge or anything where the plate connects to the hull so I was a bit confused.

I'm stuck in training all weekend so I haven't been able to go look at this boat yet, but we're working on getting it inspected. The anticipation is killing me. In the meantime I've been doing as much research and reading as possible..

Cusefan78
08-17-2014, 04:27 PM
I'll take a picture of mine in the morning when I put it back on the lift for the week.

trayson
08-18-2014, 12:06 PM
I've seen pictures of those arms but it just looked a little odd because I didn't see a hinge or anything where the plate connects to the hull so I was a bit confused.

I'm stuck in training all weekend so I haven't been able to go look at this boat yet, but we're working on getting it inspected. The anticipation is killing me. In the meantime I've been doing as much research and reading as possible..

I would imagine it looks like mine:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZO1CE_KcDJQ/UhpFmVjkgqI/AAAAAAAAO1Q/glcszMx0WIY/s800/20130825_103341.jpg

You "adjust" it by turning the turnbuckles that you can see on the arms. the wakeplate will flex and that's your up/down adjustment.

You can see on this pic that the wakeplate is more "down" because there's a greater distance on the arms between the adjustment pieces on the turnbuckles.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qm0NblNDCiE/UyO3YRR5vPI/AAAAAAAAPv0/BTtUJNNHm-4/s800/20140314_190643.jpg

crystal waters
08-18-2014, 02:09 PM
The base of the plate extends under the back of the hull and is virtually flush with same being screwed into the hull

Cusefan78
08-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Here is mine. Happy medium between skiing and boarding 14963

PBWolf
08-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Mechanic looked it over, compression was great. Interior is a little more rough than it looks in the pictures (back seat, observer seat, and bow are pretty much toast).. and the color on the hull is a bit oxidized. Appears to be missing some of the black (rubber?) trim around the floor as well.

All that aside, I'm going to meet and make a deal on the boat today. Wish me luck.

Cusefan78
08-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Tell him 7k if it needs interior. I just had my bow seats done. Cost 300 for both back seat had done last year was 380. Roughly. The trim you can get at iboat

CornRickey
08-28-2014, 12:31 PM
$300 a skin is on the cheaper side for me locally

foxriverat
08-28-2014, 08:12 PM
If your handy. I took seat skins off myself. Upholstery shop charged me $75 a skin. Put back on myself.

CornRickey
08-29-2014, 01:39 AM
wow that's a steal.

PBWolf
08-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Well, the boat is mine. More updates and many questions are sure to follow as I work through bringing her back up to snuff :)

Cusefan78
08-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Congrats. Enjoy you're new boat.

trayson
08-29-2014, 12:58 PM
If your handy. I took seat skins off myself. Upholstery shop charged me $75 a skin. Put back on myself.

wow that's a steal.

Agreed. I can see how that could be the case, as I've removed skins before and it takes forever with a zillion staples to remove. But yeah, if I could get skins done for $75, I'd be all over that.

CornRickey
08-29-2014, 07:27 PM
When I had my SN done I took the seat panels in. I think it's pretty important for the place to be able to see the seatandverify fit but i guess if you have done a ton of them you probably know what you're looking at.

foxriverat
08-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Just to clarify. It was just the seat cushion skins. Thats all I needed. Had 4 done. I didnt think they would be able to match the color perfectly. But to my suprise they did. http://riggsbros.com/

PBWolf
09-01-2014, 03:58 AM
Well, so far everything I've fixed has been on the trailer (one bald tire, no safety chains, no back straps, new lights and connector).. but I hope to take the boat out tomorrow and give it a good run to see how things are.

PBWolf
09-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Took her out today. I need to do some more research, as it took us a good hour of fiddling with things to get her started. seems like we have a couple of vacuum hoses missing or something.. for starters, the one on top that goes from oil fill stem to under the plastic hood. We only had success from a cold start by plugging that connection with a finger. Once it warmed up we were consistently able to start it up by priming it.. (giving a little throttle first and then hitting the ignition), otherwise it wouldn't start.

http://i.imgur.com/OhrTYui.jpg