PDA

View Full Version : it lives

Wulphie
08-16-2014, 08:49 AM
Ever since I had seen pictures of Piratas I have been curious. I like direct drive boats and I like closed bow but they can be cramped when you throw an array of boards and skis in them. As much as I love my Brendella super comp and my friends love getting pulled behind it my girl friend gets frustrated by feeling like she is allways in the way.

So one day while cruising ebay I saw a 1987 Pirata on a newish aluminum double axle trailer. Hmmm, it needed a engine, trans and the floor was rotted from the supra traps. Well I set my bid limit at $1550 because worse comes to worse I could sell the trailer for that.

When I got home I ripped it apart and in some ways it was worse than expected but in some ways it was better. Hmmm what to do?

Well I came across a beautiful older Mercruiser 454 with a velvet drive for $3,500. Done

Since the stringers were better than expected I decided to put the boat together and run it for the rest of the season and if I feel like the boat fits my needs and I will keep it for a while I will take it apart over the winter and rebuild the stringers. For now just a new floor.

Initial voyage I like the boat but hated to drive it. I was able to get that worked out with switching to a 4 blade prop, more on that in the prop thread.

So far I am liking the boat and my girlfriend loves it. I might keep my super comp to run the course on the local river or hopefully sell it to a friend and keep it in the familly.

Wulphie
08-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Here is a engine shot. The Merc is a little wider with the 4" manifold, riser and exhaust so I had rigged up my own engine box that I will use as a mold over the winter to make a fiberglass one.

carlossa
08-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Looks good. Great to see another resurrected for a new life.