PDA

View Full Version : Interesting reaction

cjtpilot
08-18-2014, 08:42 AM
So Sat was the Chicago Air and Water Show and we decided to take the Supra Comp out on Lake Michigan to watch. Needless to say when we were idling through all the big yachts and other boats my wife said we were getting looks from everyone. So these people either had never seen a ski boat before or were thinking WTF is that crazy family bringing that boat out on Lake Michigan......... We did get several comments from people how they like the boat though.

michael hunter
08-18-2014, 08:54 AM
When I lived in Lowell IN we went to Lake Mich all the time . We launched out of Portage and went to the warm water discharge at the power plant called the doughnut.Early with a south wind is best the closer you get to Chicago the worse it gets . NEVER go out with a north wind and watch the clouds storms can come in fast and you will end up in 3 footers or worse. I dont miss that 65 degree water here in GA water is mid 80s.

SquamInboards
08-18-2014, 09:18 AM
I had a friend out there in an inboard, he said it was a great show! But he wasn't in a small inboard, he just got a 1991 Mastercraft 240SC, the cuddy cabin one. He was looking at little inboards and we kinda talked him out of it for regular use on that lake. I bet it was fun to be out there with good weather, among all those big boats.

cjtpilot
08-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Yeah it won't be a regular trip onto the BIG lake, just went for the airshow.

wotan2525
08-19-2014, 10:52 AM
I was downtown Chicago on Saturday and saw several Mastercrafts and Nautiques headed out for the air-show. It looked like there were quite a few small boats headed out through the channels.

How is the air show and what is the water component? About the only thing we were able to see was the Blue Angels. We did go up in the Hancock for a drink thinking we would be able to see some of the show, but it was about 1pm and there wasn't anything visible from where we were.

cjtpilot
08-19-2014, 11:36 AM
I saw several runabouts our size, so I don't think it was the size of the boat. Water was pretty calm, even though 1 ft rollers can go over my nose. The water show was a display of the Chicago police boats and the coast guard did something with the helicopter. It was had to see fro where they blocked off the boats out on the lake. However the airshow was amazing from our vantage point. Several times the planes where right above us since they aren't supposed to fly over the crowd.

Jetlink
08-19-2014, 11:43 AM
The northeast corner of the box is usually best. That's where the air teams usually all depart the area at the end of their shows.

jzelt
08-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Should have put a For Sale sign on board since you had all that attention.
(Wanting to upgrade anyways).
Bet that was neat to watch above.
We had a Bald Eagle buzz right above our tower last weekend as it came down to the water beside the boat but didn't take off with anything when it flew out of the water.
I remember when they would do simulated dog fights with F-16 as a kid over the same lake we were just on. East Branch Dam.