PDA

View Full Version : Injuries to my crew.

gogger
08-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Well I started in July by fracturing a vertebrate in my wifes back while at the supra reunion. Then two weeks ago my faithful buddy that is almost always with me when I go wakeboarding Fractured his foot while trying a flip. He landed a little behind and caught the edge. I don't think his bindings were tight enough and it pretty much snapped his foot in half. They did surgery last monday then looked at the xrays and decided the repair wasn't right so they had to perform another surgery on wednesday and wound up fusing the bones together. He loves the boat so much though he was out Sunday for an hour or so to ride along while we were boarding.

Bad part is he has to pay $5000 out of his pocket before his insurance will pay anything. Video of the accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfuDfxNi4WY&feature=youtu.be

michael hunter
08-18-2014, 10:41 PM
No Obama Care?

Zim
08-19-2014, 08:23 AM
LOL @ Obamacare. I work in insurance. What a joke.

chris young
08-19-2014, 08:50 AM
Speaking from experience, (broken collar bone, MRI for injured knee, MRI for injured spine, broken finger w/surgery and more) Canadian socialized medicine works very well. Just sayin.

Sorry to hear Gogger, stay safe. This is my first ski season in 3 years where I'm injury free this deep into the season.

garyholl
08-19-2014, 08:50 AM
Poor bastard! That's gonna be tough to rehab.

Zim
08-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Speaking from experience, (broken collar bone, MRI for injured knee, MRI for injured spine, broken finger w/surgery and more) Canadian socialized medicine works very well. Just sayin.

Sorry to hear Gogger, stay safe. This is my first ski season in 3 years where I'm injury free this deep into the season.

Sure, as long as you can wait 3 months to see the doc. My aunt lives in Canada, had a bad disc in her back and had to wait 3 months to see anyone. She eventually was in so much pain that they bumped her up.

Our healthcare is great, people just don't want to pay for it.

Okay... time to stop derailing the thread :)

cadunkle
08-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Ya know what works better than using the threat of violence to extort money from innocent third parties to pay for a service someone else receives? Directly paying for a service you receive. Under commie healthcare the government is the customer, not the injured person. The customer is always right, to the patient's detriment. Costs also rise way beyond market value when the recipient of a service isn't paying for it (either directly out of pocket or through voluntary insurance in a non-coercive market) or it is heavily subsidized or regulated (as health insurance in the States). For straightforward, common, or easy injuries or diseases, sure you'll probably receive adequate care in most cases (though at greater cost), but good luck if you are the square peg. I'm a firm believer that violence has no place in the healthcare sector, socialized <anything> is violence.

Anyhow, sorry to hear about the injuries. Tough season!

h2obug
08-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Well I started in July by fracturing a vertebrate in my wifes back while at the supra reunion. Then two weeks ago my faithful buddy that is almost always with me when I go wakeboarding Fractured his foot while trying a flip. He landed a little behind and caught the edge. I don't think his bindings were tight enough and it pretty much snapped his foot in half. They did surgery last monday then looked at the xrays and decided the repair wasn't right so they had to perform another surgery on wednesday and wound up fusing the bones together. He loves the boat so much though he was out Sunday for an hour or so to ride along while we were boarding.

Bad part is he has to pay $5000 out of his pocket before his insurance will pay anything. Video of the accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfuDfxNi4WY&feature=youtu.be

Gogger - Most people don't know this but your boat owner insurance policy will cover that deductible for your faithful buddy. It has nothing to do with any wrong doing on your part but is just part of the medical insurance portion of all boat owners policy. In fact you cannot even buy it without the provision. Medical claims are usually capped at $5000 per person per occurrence.

jzelt
08-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Dang Gogger, new boat doesn't necessarily mean new crew...

trayson
08-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Gogger - Most people don't know this but your boat owner insurance policy will cover that deductible for your faithful buddy. It has nothing to do with any wrong doing on your part but is just part of the medical insurance portion of all boat owners policy. In fact you cannot even buy it without the provision. Medical claims are usually capped at $5000 per person per occurrence.

I just looked at my boat insurance policy and it has that $5,000 medical payments coverage. Good info to know.

gogger
08-19-2014, 09:42 PM
I am going to check with my insurance tomorrow to see if he is covered. He doesn't make much money and coming up with 5 thousand won't be easy for him. He actually works for his dad and that is just the policy they have. Generally the higher your out of pocket the lower the premium. I worked in health insurance for many years before becoming a prison guard so I am pretty familiar with the system. I think our system is good. But everything for everybody can't be covered without somebody having to pay. If the insurance companies are going to pay somebody has to pay them. They aren't in it to lose money.

My buddy is already talking about kneeboarding until his foot is better. I suggested a wake skate so he doesn't have to use binding for a while.

MJHKnox
08-20-2014, 12:21 AM
Was that Casey?

Mark

gogger
08-20-2014, 09:49 PM
No Casey doesn't go out much anymore. That was a friend of mine named Alec.

gogger
08-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Well neither my insurance agent or a rep at progressive was even aware of the medical coverage on my boat policy. But it appears that they are going to cover it. My policy only has 1000 in coverage.

haugy
08-22-2014, 09:17 AM
That sucks Gogger. For the record, I'm never riding with you, ever. :D :D

This is a good note for everyone to make sure you check what your policies truly cover. We've gone over this before but many things get overlooked when we worry about the boat. Medical, Liability, and Salvage costs can come into play. Make sure your insurance company is prepared to deal with all of those.