PDA

View Full Version : New Supra La Brisa... How's the wake?

MParsons
08-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Hi guys wanted to join the forum and ask a few questions about my new boat. Ive owned an older 86 Supra Sunsport for about 5 years now but found such a great deal on this boat i decided it was time to upgrade to ALL fiberglass and fuel injection!!! So anyways I bought this boat while on a business trip in Michigan and Ive owned it for 2 weeks. Its a 96 Supra La Brisa. The boat was in pretty good shape and had been kept under cover, but this was still definatly a project because at the time of purchase the engine would only run 15 mintues and then mysteriously die. After purchasing I found that the original owner had been on this same exact forum trying to find answers to his problems. Per his old posts he had taken the boat to 4 different mechanics who apparently couldnt fix the problem. I guess he should have brought it to me ;) Anyways I ended up replacing the low and high pressure fuel pumps and found that I had 70 PSI on the rail!!! No wonder the old high pressure pump was so hot! Anyways i traced the problem back to the gas tank. Someone had swapped these two barbed fittings that look the same, but one has a check valve to help the fuel pump hold its prime. The check valve was placed on the return line therfore none of the fuel was ever making it back to the tank and the high pressure pump was working way too much. Swapped the fittings and fuel pressure was a perfect 32 psi, problem solved. Now that ive got the boat running im working on updating the exterior and interior. The interior was in pretty decent shape, but had pink/ purple piping throughout. That just wasnt quite gonna cut it, hopefully some of you guys dont flame me for this, but I ended up using the vinyl paint and repainted many pieces of the interior to give it an updated look. Ive got to say the vinyl paint looks really great, just hope it holds up fairly well. Ill be vinyl wrapping the boat in a few days and ill get some updated pictures once i do. Ive attached some pictures of when i first picked the boat up and some pictures from last night when I finally finished the interior. Let me know what you guys think.

ALSO!!! If any of you guys can give me an idea of the wake on this boat i would be really appreciative. I know its not gonna throw a wake like my sunsport did, but im hoping it can be pretty decent with a few sacks. Ive got an ACME 913 on the boat now so it can handle as much weight as i need to put in it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience riding behind one of these? Thanks

Cusefan78
08-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Wow that paint really updates it. Hopefully it'll hold up. You should be very happy with it. I have had mine for two season now and love my labrisa. I really can't figure out why it wasn't a hit when it came out. As for the wake it's comparable to a comp at skiing speed but will through a bigger wake at boarding speed. I have never sacked my boat but I would think it would really help.

One thing I do like about your boat is it has the walk through bow. Mine has the playpen. If you have any questions fell free to ask. Welcome to the labrisa family

MParsons
09-03-2014, 11:25 AM
so ive got to take the La Brisa out a few times and i think im going to like it.... got new vinyl wrap going on it in the next week. Just out of curiosity what top speed do you guys get out of your La Brisa with the stock prop? I put an Acme 913 on this boat and im getting about 33 mph at 5000k rpm's. Just wondering how much crusing speed ive sacrificed. Thanks and ill put up some new pictures when i get her looking good!

MParsons
09-03-2014, 11:29 AM
ALSO Cusefan78 i see in your signature you've changed out your speakers. I havent taken these out to look, but did you use standard car 6.5 inch speakers? my old sunsport didnt have much room behind the speakers and i had to run slim magnet speakers in it. Wondering if thats the case with the La Brisa too.

Jetlink
09-03-2014, 11:29 AM
The short answer is a ton. These boats should see about 42-44 MPH on the low end at WOT.

Cusefan78
09-03-2014, 11:44 AM
I installed the marine grade kickers with the led lights built in. It's a snug fit but I know they fit. The front two has plenty of room the backs have maybe 1/4 of play on the magnet side. I just installed an acme 541 in mine and I'm getting +- 50 with two people and a full tank of gas. My intake is different then yours but I would guess you should be in 45-46 mph range wot.

Zim
09-03-2014, 08:35 PM
You should definitely be seeing more speed. How are you reading your speed? Just going by the guages or was that on GPS? Check your pitot's for clogged lines. Blow compressed air through them from the guage end. Don't blow air into the pickup end, it can hurt the guage. There could also be calibration issues that need to fixed. If you're hitting 5000 RPMS, I can't imagine you're only running 32ish mph.

Cusefan78
09-03-2014, 11:22 PM
so ive got to take the La Brisa out a few times and i think im going to like it.... got new vinyl wrap going on it in the next week. Just out of curiosity what top speed do you guys get out of your La Brisa with the stock prop? I put an Acme 913 on this boat and im getting about 33 mph at 5000k rpm's. Just wondering how much crusing speed ive sacrificed. Thanks and ill put up some new pictures when i get her looking good!
That prop you're running is for low end. You should get good hole shot but youre losing 15+ mph. That prop would be good for boarding and running tons of ballast. Change that prop. Stock was 13x13 of 4 blade. Most guys are using the 541 which is 13x12 3 blade.

MParsons
09-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Yeah i knew i was going to lose a lot of top end with that prop, but we honestly plan on running a ton of ballast in this boat... as much as i can without sinking her..... we primarily board and surf and Im gonna see if i can get the La Brisa to perform. Our plan is at least 1200-1500 lbs of ballast. I need to download a gps app and check it again next time im out. I say 33 mph top end b/c thats what the vacuum speedo on the boat is reading, and i know they arent very accurate. Ive got some pictures from yesterday when we started to put the vinyl down. Im getting happy with the way she is coming along! ill get some finished photos when were done. Thanks for all the help and recommendations guys

MParsons
09-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Well we had to stay up pretty late last night to finish it up but here is a quick snap shot from this morning. The black section and decals are carbon fiber and the other is obviously lime green. Let me know what you guys think. Trying to decide if i love the font or not.... thats a fairly simple change though if i change my mind. Now im going to start updating the trailer to match the color scheme!

Cusefan78
09-09-2014, 03:01 PM
I like it expect for the supra decal is the wrong font. Other then that looks good.

PBWolf
01-12-2015, 05:27 PM
I know it was towards the end of the season, but I'm curious if you had a chance to put in ballast and do any surfing in your La Brisa? I know it's not the best boat for it, but I want to try to get a mediocre surf wake out of mine at some point.

MParsons
03-22-2015, 08:27 AM
Wolf I have played around with the wake in the Labrisa a little bit, but not a lot. I can tell you that the boat can handle 2000lbs in ballast pretty well, and throws a pretty solid wakeboard wake at that weight. Ive yet to dial in the surf with this boat but i havent tried much. Thats honestly our first project this spring is to get the wave set. Ive got perfect pass installed and were building some DIY surfgates that were going to try (Im an engineer and i cant help but try to build stuff). Ill get with you on an update in a few weeks!